Posted 2008-12-04 00:00:55 by
I think I'll feel better about these anthologies if I stop using the word ?Twitter? to describe them.
- Autechre music video. http://tinyurl.com/5ttsu4
- The only non-spam messages I still get on MySpace are from Tom. I keep blocking him but he keeps sending messages anyways.
- I still have a hard time believing that consciousness isn't something special. How does this me-ness arise from simple physics?
- I can understand how everyone else is a simulation, though. No problem with that.
- Jonathan Blow talks to AV Club about the intended meanings of Braid. http://tinyurl.com/5t7psg
- http://tinyurl.com/5bhnv6 -- Megan was really bothered by the tiny animation loops in Viva Pinata's pinata habitats
- Does Flash have any runtime error checking *at all*? I just tried calling undefined as a function and it just silently does nothing.
- Oh good, one of the new features of ActionScript 3 is that it assumes that operating on undefined might've been unintended.
- Four hours later, turns out that the copyPixels call didn't work because it isn't a method of BitmapData. Wait, no, because it *is*. What?
- I'm not crazy. Or my lunacy is self-consistent, at least. The drawing methods that *don't exist in this class* are the ones that work.
- I review the Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts demo. http://tinyurl.com/6f55r3
- Google image search has banner ads now. When did this happen?
- Gradius reimplemented in Little Big Planet. http://tinyurl.com/5txedx
- If they can see your house keys, they can get into your house. Hups! http://www.physorg.com/news144519246.html
- http://tinyurl.com/5cvdt9 -- Historical electoral data. Before 1992, California voted red! In 1968, a 3rd party got some electoral votes!
- I write about focus and versatility and how heavily creators are influenced by their tools. http://goombas.org/fullview.php?id=1252
- http://sayhear.org -- My best idea so far: "I'm voting for Bono because if you really think about it, McCain and Obama are *both* niggers."
- @phetus My absentee ballot hasn't arrived yet. I wonder whether they'll let me come in and vote in person after all.
- (8:57:13 PM) Danny: hm, i wonder if the nsa is wondering why you're googling 'advanced research facility blueprints' :)
- They didn't have my name, so I cast a "provisional" ballot. I'll worry later about whether "provisional" actually means "placebo."
- When I run I'm constantly aware that I'm one tiny mistake away from smashing into the pavement. Running for fun strikes me as irresponsible.
- It's not like I've smashed into any pavements lately. But when I run my memories of doing so are so *vivid*. And I'm old and fragile now.
- "Proposition 8: Defines marrige as 'Between a man and a woman.' without eleminating any rights." -- Ah, wikipedia.
- Rands on optimism: http://tinyurl.com/69s76b
- Cats like to be in things. I guess? http://tinyurl.com/5bb7l6
- New best term evar for man-hours available for expenditure on a project: "manwidth."
- http://tinyurl.com/6zrecm -- John Carmack's posts on the Armadillo Aerospace forum. He used to write like this about code :(
- Megan just called me from Sproul Plaza on Berkeley campus. SO LOUD. I heard fireworks. They sounded illegal.
- Open letter to Spider Jerusalem: I can't even tell what I'm supposed to be thanking you for, but fuck you for being presumptuous anyways.
- I thought I was running a pretty clean system, but it turns out Vista hides 80% of processes in the Task Manager by default.
- Hi guys, I just disabled the software licensing DRM service. Why is slsvc.exe still running?
- I love the bizarre perspective shifts in stitched-together satellite shots. http://tinyurl.com/6nxrvc
- Today I've wanted to link to like 12 different posts on Eliezer Yudkowsky's blog. Here's the whole blog instead: http://tinyurl.com/37bjr7
- The new Futurama movie is called "Bender's Game." Just thought you ought to know.
- Megan shaved her head in protest of prop 8. I'm not sure it's sending the message she wants, because it looks really cute.
- Poor, doomed Martin Periard, fighting the good fight against the established legal interpretation of Fair Use. http://tinyurl.com/6nhpry
- "Reduction of certain diphthong forms to monophthongs" -- Oh screw you. The root is "phthong"? Seriously? (http://tinyurl.com/rnxse)
- @ShawnElliott It gets so much better. http://www.thenewtestamentofallah.com/ has excerpts from his book, songs, and music videos.
- I hear Mirror's Edge is Portal-length. Good. I see the time trial mode as the real game, which would make the campaign an extended tutorial.
- Being able to break into the debugger in a busy loop rather than the busy loop freezing the Flash IDE would be nice too.
- A raccoon is cleaning himself atop the fence outside my window. So ungainly, not like the cats that trot by -- how did he even get up there?
- Meat is muscle. I bet a steak would flex if you shocked it hard enough. You could build robots that use steaks in place of electric motors.
- http://tinyurl.com/4hdm63 -- adrift on a sea of sulfur hexafluoride.
- http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ziro -- "Jabba the Hutt's gay uncle, based on Truman Capote."
- I wore Indy's welding goggles while coding yesterday. I need to get a pair. They really put me in the mood to build stuff for some reason.
- I wish they'd hurry up and put reality-augmenting HUDs in goggles so I'd have an excuse to wear them in public.
- http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/3404/lolzo5im4.jpg -- Party van calling!
- What is it with the spoken word bits in 1940s-era music where the singer repeats the lyrics he just sang as if he's monologuing onstage?
- Example: every Inkspots song I've ever heard. http://tinyurl.com/5l6qz7 -- Hah, the Inkspots were black! I see what you did there.
- Had chilaquiles with Megan at Country Joe's Cafe, right downstairs from -- and sharing a kitchen with -- Cafe de la Paz. Recommended.
- Fuck it. Take the generalization Graham made to turn 3^^^^3 into Graham's Number, and apply it Graham's Number times. Then add 1! Top THAT.
- @sugigrl Thanks, I've been meaning to find a reliable source of Conan O'Brien ever since I stopped keeping a TV in my room ten years ago.