|june microblog digest|
Posted 2009-07-01 20:19:32 by
Archived from http://twitter.com/mogwai_poet:
- http://bit.ly/bAq8S -- Fascinating visualization of the comparative speed and expressiveness of programming languages.
- http://bit.ly/f3JAl -- Check out the vocal charts. Rock Band Beatles does harmonies!
- http://bit.ly/wpjNt -- Telltale is doing Monkey Island!
- @fistfulofsand No! It would be nice if Rock Band had real notation, for sight-singing. Parts of "Gimme Shelter" are still mysterious to me.
- "Aleph null." "How do you spell that?" "A-L-E-P-H. Funny you should ask, though; 'aleph' is a letter."
- I like having a water bottle. It makes me feel special while I'm drinking water.
- Just got accosted by the police coming down from a midnight hike on Albany Hill with Indy. Evidently there was a murder there a month ago.
- More exciting announcements coming out of E3: Mario Galaxy 2, Crackdown 2, Alan Wake's release date.
- http://bit.ly/y5ZJr -- StSanders is back on YouTube! A highlight, "Carlos Santana Shreds": http://bit.ly/XzTZc
- http://bit.ly/nQbjc -- Retro Game Master didn't sell enough to localize the sequel. Open letter to all who played it on an R4: I hate you.
- http://bit.ly/16H15U -- Dave Mustaine's bizarre sleeping accident. If you sleep, heed this warning!
- http://bit.ly/TBgj -- 18 new CIP story nodes. "Yo, dawg. I heard I like mauling, so I put a face in your face so I can maul while I maul."
- "Gonna bring that back in looping, he didn't nail the sound of eating. Which is weird because he was eating." "He wasn't miked for grains."
- @pnewnan I want one of those.
- Added some RSS feeds for Celebrities in Prison. Recent story nodes: http://bit.ly/AmN0I Recent comments: http://bit.ly/HEOH
- http://bit.ly/1Blw8O -- Ungulates.
- For a change, I'd like to see an example of Wolfram Alpha giving a sensible answer.
- http://bit.ly/bVwXD -- Clouds.
- Another four-on-four frisbee game today, and this time I was out of practice. *wheeze*
- http://bit.ly/wSDJL -- Step 1: Cancel promising game. Step 2: Wait for competing publisher to pick up the pieces. Step 3: Lawsuit!
- Oh yeah, and re Activision's latest dick legal maneuver: guess what company your $15/month WoW habit is supporting? Just sayin'.
- http://bit.ly/ozgpn -- Tim Sweeney on the history of Epic Games: "The funny secret behind ZZT is it started out [as] a text editor."
- @phetus I knew what you meant! It is similar. I wonder whether he intended them to be clouds in the painting, though.
- http://bit.ly/16rucW -- Not just *any* anthropomorphic chair.
- http://bit.ly/11J9jT -- 17th century alchemists pre-discover carbon nanotubes.
- @pnewnan I'm pretty sure there are animal labor laws pertaining to this sort of thing, but the FAQ doesn't mention them.
- http://bit.ly/1wkm2m -- "Jabba the Hutt Supreme Edition Costume"
- http://bit.ly/TBgj -- 15 new CIP story nodes. "Since we don't have a target dummy here, you're going to be setting your own hair on fire."
- http://bit.ly/LnQwo -- Scribblenauts: Type in the name of the object you need to beat the level. (Chainsaw, beaver, time machine, longcat)
- http://bit.ly/edZuo -- Next: no showing human warmth in airports, because it foils the anti-terrorist-face software.
- http://bit.ly/Hp1WJ -- More judgmental camera shenanigans.
- http://bit.ly/7MpxC -- "Stem Cell Contact Lenses Cure [a certain kind of] Blindness in Less Than a Month"
- Re: "Death of Autotune." Somebody deliberately used a tool tastelessly, which makes it impossible to use that same tool tastefully, amirite?
- http://bit.ly/NOiYI -- Eegah, flying squid! (http://bit.ly/SmhQf)
- Huh. John Carmack missed his blog and hit idsoftware.com when he tossed out his latest couple posts: http://bit.ly/joTkF http://bit.ly/gv96n
- Do you have a brand of laundry bag you recommend? Say, for carrying from my apartment to the laundromat at El Cerrito Plaza.
- http://bit.ly/1TkBK0 -- Face-altering performance art (or: most effective warpaint ever). Skip ahead if you must; the best is at the end.
- http://bit.ly/jV3CT -- JD Salinger must now be trying to figure out how to sue all the people who were surprised he was still alive.
- http://bit.ly/tcfYw -- ~14,000 Left 4 Dead fans promise not to buy sequel based on title.
- I said "more later" about my awesome hat, if you'll recall. It is later! http://bit.ly/13H67a See also: http://bit.ly/gzSDw
- Iggy Pop says his near-death experience sounded like a Tangerine Dream album.
- "Foam pad lower extremity splints tend to work their way inferiorly when the victim ambulates. A simple solution is 'duct tape suspenders.'"
- http://bit.ly/xRGut -- "His wife hurried to the window. Let me explain, he said. This is literally the only way you can make a video game."
- I'd forgotten how good the Luigi's Mansion soundtrack is.
- http://bit.ly/RB0pL -- Ludicrous baby animals.
- @fiskmeshi It has one! Not every interface supports it, but the data channel is there. I could tell what you were replying to.
- @fistfulofsand Well, you know it's a band rather than an actual atrocity, right?
- http://bit.ly/gtBDm -- Problem: MIcrosoft's infrared-based motion control system can't see black people. Solution: ship it with whiteface.
- Seanbaby's writing for cracked.com now: http://bit.ly/Txmt4 That almost makes up for David Wong writing for cracked.com.
- http://bit.ly/GGbbb -- Penny Arcade is hiring. "A level 80 Alliance character would be helpful." "Do you like folding shirts? Excellent."
- For once my landlady's laziness is working in my favor. She was supposed to have removed the washer/dryer weeks ago, but they're still here.
- http://bit.ly/3Zd3a -- What a great service! "We offer a wide array of corrupted Word files that are guaranteed not to open on a Mac or PC."
- http://bit.ly/16WEG7 -- Oh mans, today's Penny Arcade is pretty amazing. Not amazingly funny, just amazing.
- @pnewnan That's more a run-of-the-mill Penny Arcade comic. I'm not complaining, because it's 30 seconds out of my life, but enh.
- http://bit.ly/H5NDm -- This kid is going to get all the chicks at recess. Also: does this point the way to needleless, artistless tattoos?
- When I think about having watched "Calcium," the pilot of Look Around You, sometimes I wonder whether I dreamed it. http://bit.ly/5JgN
- In case you'd forgotten, television is ending tomorrow. Join hands and celebrate! http://bit.ly/wXgpW
- http://bit.ly/TBgj 18 new CIP story nodes. "When you were a kid your dad was an olfactory worker and always brought home the worst scents."
- http://bit.ly/Vsz4C -- "That's John Quincy Adams in a nutshell: so postmillennial he was a postkiloyearist."
- http://bit.ly/26LCa3 -- Man, I hoped for more from Automata than simply taking a noir setting and subbing in "robot" for "racial minority."
- http://bit.ly/xeQWU -- Interactive Circle of Fifths.
- http://bit.ly/FIXb -- "Humans prefer cockiness to expertise."
- http://bit.ly/S9okl -- Hand cranked animated boat diorama. For sale here: http://bit.ly/ZTaAP ... but belongs in a museum, for serious.
- http://bit.ly/9Nsg1 -- The correct response to ridiculous trademark infringement allegations.
- An hour into the Facebook user name feature, and my name's already taken. Every single suggested name/initial permutation had a digit in it.
- http://bit.ly/qQ1Y4 -- The Evolution of House Cats
- Hey, I managed to beat Ikaruga continuing only once. That's *like* beating it without continuing!
- http://bit.ly/9tAAK -- How to debug when all output hardware is unavailable.
- I've never seen software with "helper" in the title that didn't turn out to be malware. It's like naming your country "Democratic Republic."
- http://bit.ly/CIXMb -- The Mario Marathon guys are doing it again this year. Man, I wish hospitals got money when *I* played Mario games.
- I bet Google could've totally crippled the adoption of .NET if they'd decided not to add the special case to handle the punctuation in "C#."
- http://bit.ly/DV1Vw -- Graffiti from Pompeii. "If anyone wants a screw, he should look for Attice; she costs 4 sestertii."
- You say potato; I say potato. You say tomato; I say tomato. Potato, potato, tomato, tomato.
- There ought to be an OkCupid spin-off for dentists called "OkCuspid."
- http://bit.ly/BRKFg -- US Patent and Trademark Office: "CATEGORY 04: SUPERNATURAL BEINGS, MYTHOLOGICAL OR LEGENDARY BEINGS"
- http://bit.ly/Bs6VQ -- Indie Game Bingo. Totally spot-on. Except for "Indie Trendy" which I don't quite get. Any guesses?
- http://bit.ly/L1gNG -- Go Twitter, doin' the right thing! This almost makes up for when you lost a day's worth of Ron Gilbert's twits.
- Man, right now i'm just lukewarm about Automata. If it beats Lookouts in the poll I'm afraid I'm gonna start irrationally hating on it.
- http://bit.ly/Pj84s -- Futuristic Movie Timeline
- Norm Macdonald was amazing on Conan O'Brien a week ago: http://bit.ly/QlaGw http://bit.ly/FvqgK
- http://bit.ly/Cm0jx -- Project lead Josh Randall on strangers holding hands while playtesting Rock Band Beatles.
- move forward, watching the shadows of government, don't you think about beauty. i and dpezoir disappear in a real-life application
- http://bit.ly/3wafLx -- The Main Drag flirts with legal disaster in this Calvin & Hobbes-esque music video for "A Jagged Gorgeous Winter."
- http://bit.ly/wHn1i -- The pranks we play on machines.
- @pnewnan Money can be exchanged for goods and services
- http://bit.ly/fLP9w -- Whoever handled the music in the C64 port of Salamander forgot to enjoy music.
- @pnewnan I guess you're not into the whole grocery-shopping-at-2AM thing. Too bad; it's a lot of fun.
- http://bit.ly/iFHoD -- Another take on the shooter music genre. Playing this must be like taking downers and uppers at the same time.
- http://bit.ly/14aCq -- "It's Now Completely Impossible To Sell A Laptop On Ebay"
- Played about 15 console shmups with Louis yesterday. What's up with the PC Engine having only one controller port? Who *are* these people?
- Washer/dryer update: still have washer/dryer.
- All these Konami OSTs I've been listening to are credited to "Kukeiha Club." Turns out it means "Square Wave Club": http://bit.ly/1alAM
- Successfully installed Pygame and Impulse Tracker on my netbook. Now the only barrier to creative work is the keyboard! And the touchpad.
- http://i44.tinypic.com/1zz3ztl.jpg -- It's compelling. I want to find out what happens.
- http://bit.ly/UzcUK -- "Changing negative attitudes toward gays begins with exposing people more regularly to same-sex romantic behavior."
- Get to the airport at 5am, nine-hour layover at JFK, pay an extra $500: pick any two.
- http://bit.ly/slYuy -- That's it for Carmack. He'll be making rockets full time. (Also, way to open the article with a press release quote.)
- Hunh. So apparently I've had astigmatism all my life. The optometrist told me that I "see very well for someone with [my] prescription."
- http://bit.ly/BBGxS -- Tentatively: I bVII I bVII v I bVII I bVII I / bVII vi bVII v I bVII vi bVII V / I bVII IV^6 IV V I bVII bVI bVII V
- Oh, also, that's in mixolydian. So, um, all those bVIIs should just be VII. Hups.
- http://bit.ly/ppEGx -- Some Moai can see.
- The UPS guy just delivered a package to me wearing one glove.
- Huh. All along I'd believed the Verizon rep who told me this phone doesn't support custom ring tones, when I could just email mp3s to it.
- Now I'm trying to figure out what 12 seconds of Portishead's "Cowboys" is most representative. http://bit.ly/AJ6Zw
- Just queued up all the potential song snippets in Winamp and it sounds like the weirdest compilation album advertisement ever.