|december 2010 microblog digst|
Posted 2011-01-08 21:40:51 by
Archived from http://twitter.com/mogwai_poet:
- Andrew Plotkin's Kickstarter is about to end. http://j.mp/95Cf7v (This is the only way to order a PC copy of his next, iOS-targeted game.)
- Spoon organ: http://bit.ly/98C45O -- Now with fork!
- Wikileaks hosting pulled due to political pressure: http://bit.ly/dMRCDl
- "Why I Love WikiLeaks: For restoring distrust in our most important institutions." http://bit.ly/dPDS2m
- Haskell Researchers Announce Discovery of Industry Programmer Who Gives a Shit About Haskell: http://bit.ly/hVstDM
- "We knew that there are precisely 38 people who give a shit about Haskell because every Haskell-related reddit post gets exactly 38 upvotes"
- http://bit.ly/i2GJS1 -- "The Nobel Peace Prize for 2011 should go to Julian Assange (if he lives long enough to receive it)."
- Stress update: man, not stressed at all, wow.
- @relsqui That is an amazing sign :)
- NASA astrobiology announcement: bacteria discovered based on arsenic rather than organic material. http://j.mp/ii2heF
- Did I already link to these? Conlon Nancarrow's studies for player piano, circa 1947: http://bit.ly/23g3an http://bit.ly/3ehqRL
- Enjoying Epic Mickey well enough, but the ethical decisions it presents you with are a little too on-the-nose for me. It *is* for kids.
- (On the other hand, I've no sympathy for those who only liked Warren Spector's ludography because it was about shooting people in the face.)
- To clarify: while some of the decisions you have to make approach interesting, their presentation is too much "tell," not enough "show."
- http://bit.ly/dX0MwD -- "They're called 'slap tubes' but the technical term is End-Struck Plosive Aerophones."
- BART operator to passenger holding the train doors open: "Try getting friends that walk faster."
- @STRd6 Contrasaurus totally crashed Firefox 3.6.12 after I got the flame jaw. Serious particle count performance issues before then, too.
- @STRd6 But that's about where I expect HTML5 apps to be for a while. Thanks for taking the bullet for the community :)
- Just occurred to me: by adding Haggleman Lady to the Haggleman series, Namco may have been making fun of the name Ms. Pac-Man. Mind: blown.
- I guess Blizzard's banking on the unemployed still being able to scrounge up the $15/month after flunking out: http://i.imgur.com/jVSbk.jpg
- I'm still trying to figure out where the "yes to dogjazzling" contingent is.
- @textfiles Jesus, man, go get better. Severe money issues are far more solvable than severe health issues.
- Ellsberg: "EVERY attack now made on WikiLeaks was made against me and the release of the Pentagon Papers at the time." http://bit.ly/g7jSdE
- Gamasutra Interview: What Jonathan Blow has been up to since Braid: http://bit.ly/dVsfHb
- On the question of Free Will: http://bit.ly/eRWk3l (You had me at "past -> present -> future.")
- The unintended olfactory consequences of adding cinnamon rolls to your sandwich menu: http://bit.ly/gm1tyT
- I'm totally not playing Cataclysm, and it feels amazing. Just putting that out there.
- NASA's paper on arsenic-based life "should not have been published": http://j.mp/gWoDjH -- "I was outraged at how bad the science was."
- Mining molten sulfur in East Java, Indonesia: http://bit.ly/fd7jhi
- All four layers of the nested dream sequence at the climax of Inception, synchronized: http://bit.ly/i4F2BR
- "Good Taste in Times Square? It's Illegal." http://j.mp/aotDNS
- Ace Rimmer fights Nazis while surfing on a crocodile: http://bit.ly/9RbE8y
- "Disalienation: Why Gender is a Text Field on Diaspora" http://bit.ly/eVVUZk
- "This effort to make [Prince] Charles appear taller is a social commitment to the idea that men are taller than women." http://bit.ly/f6DcAv
- Three friends build one-off restaurant-themed arcade game in exchange for a lifetime supply of free waffles: http://bit.ly/dNGjnr
- Total lunar eclipse on Dec 20th and 21st, best visible from West Coast: http://bit.ly/XsqCV Viewing times: http://bit.ly/dEs5nD
- Shigeru Miyamoto profiled in the New Yorker: http://j.mp/fGe5R1 -- Insightful, and to the best of my knowledge, largely accurate.
- The latest on Wikileaks, via cutting-edge CGI: http://bit.ly/fvY6st -- Man, Has anyone absorbed "show, don't tell" better than NMA TV?
- "According to Corrections Corporation of America reports, executives believe immigrant detention is the next big market." http://j.mp/ig6vlB
- This robot's pelvic thrust subroutine is off the chain: http://bit.ly/bLT4yZ
- Philippe Ramette's physics-defying photography: http://bit.ly/PYxIh
- http://j.mp/gDgbZa "Twenty two years of social experience, lost! Thrown aside for a self-righteous devotion to intellectual pursuits!"
- iOS port of QWOP coming: http://j.mp/h5f9Oh -- Looks considerably easier, but possibly more fun, than the Flash original: http://j.mp/giho1j
- In San Diego for the rest of the year.
- I should answer the phone by saying "You have reached Jim's phone. I'm here right now!"
- Now that Elena's cats live with me, the best part about visiting family in San Diego is the refrigerator poetry.
- E.g.: please do not enervate frantic chocolate egg
- New best thing about visiting family in San Diego: I can hear the sea lions barking from mom's apartment.
- If this isn't the augmented reality translation project I alluded to after TIGJam, someone's lunch just got eaten: http://questvisual.com/
- (If you're wondering whether a project like that is even plausible, the one I played with back in October pretty much worked. So, yes.)
- Cat-substitute refrigerator poetry: a thousand insect pariahs almost kiss
- Brenda Brathwaite's board game about conducting trains to Dachau: http://bit.ly/gUBzaR -- "The Mechanic Is The Message."
- Cat-substitute refrigerator poetry: curious -- almost reaching your juice opinion
- If you missed it, Humble Indie Bundle 2 is available. Pay any amount for five indie games: http://bit.ly/htGWyX (This one has Braid in it.)
- @jonbeilin Oh, good to hear!
- @fiskmeshi I guess someone's gotta write the poetry?
- Charles Stross posits that spam/antispam research culminates in "The Spamularity." http://bit.ly/i3pUpD
- "Curious lumps of communicating meat give rise to a meta-sphere of discourse dominated by parasitic viral payloads pretending to be meat."
- Okay, so who do I know who hasn't played Braid or Deus Ex?
- Just a reminder, the eclipse is tonight. Probably not gonna see anything from La Jolla due to cloud cover, but to the rest of GMT-8: enjoy!
- @therealcliffyb But what about when similar suffixes don't quite work? Compare: "squareish jaw" vs. "squarelike jaw." Or "square-esque."
- Real-time, full-body puppeteering with Kinect: http://bit.ly/fFquwC
- The Iiro Rantala New Trio's mind-blowing "Shit Catapult": http://j.mp/Tx7Yv -- They calm down about a minute in, if the intro's too intense.
- Got carded buying these chocolate truffle filled figs. Ready to get wasted?
- Cat-substitute refrigerator poetry: recall my friend / the smell of why / we feel so drunk
- "AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG? IF YOU ARE A CAT SPECIALIST MEET ME HERE AT 4PM ON WEDNESDAY. BRING YOUR DIPLOMA." http://bit.ly/l29qz
- Man, in the 2nd edition of Betrayal they fixed the misprint where the Underground Lake appears in the attic. A tiny part of me just died!
- Cat-substitute refrigerator poetry: must stand here naked later
- Humble Indie Bundle #2 sweetens the deal by adding the original bundle into the pile, if you beat the average payment: http://j.mp/htGWyX
- If I were out there ringing the Salvation Army bell full time, I'd get to the erratic dubstep patterns within 15 minutes.
- Every single sea lion in La Jolla Cove is like that puppy that couldn't roll over.
- Cat-substitute refrigerator poetry: with sanguine cry let blue shell fly
- Does the biker with the skateboard on his back wear the bike on his back while skating, or does he just skate on his back, holding the bike?
- Cat-substitute refrigerator poetry: share our blood / in delirious whisper / beautiful forever
- About 18 hours left on the Humble Indie Bundle. http://www.humblebundle.com/
- Read the Firefly comics "Float Out" and "The Shepherd's Tale." They were good, but the storytelling felt so *rushed*.
- As if they're trying to tell an episode-scale story in the space of 10 minutes. Maybe the opposite of the problem games have, actually.
- Cat-substitute refrigerator poetry: milk chocolate miscreant / so very sweet
- Ebert explains Rare Exports: "An R-rated Santa Claus origin story crossed with 'The Thing.'" http://bit.ly/dTkUDI
- Cat-substitute refrigerator poetry: a smile like summer night sweat / clubs my life / over the self
- Lightning captured on x-ray camera: http://bit.ly/e6TFdG
- 20 hours of snowfall in 40 seconds: http://bit.ly/eJI6R7
- http://j.mp/gKAnG4 -- Yeah, but they still have to call you "doctor," right?
- Cat-substitute refrigerator poetry: investigate salient missive-- the vicissitude of dandelion worship
- Mom was aghast at seeing me buy a package of socks for myself so soon after Christmas.
- Village Voice names anonymous Twitter account music critic of the year: http://j.mp/gCjy9e
- What 16 sample points from around the world eat in a day: http://bit.ly/gyPXem
- Whoever made that "people paid to touch your junk" Venn diagram needs to go back to Venn diagram school: http://bit.ly/dHFjx6
- People started using "Lego" as plural because somebody read the Lego trademark FAQ and found that pluralizing a trademark is a violation.
- Unfortunately, "I built a tiny moustache out of Lego" is a violation too. The proper form is "I built a tiny moustache out of Lego? bricks."
- Which still shows disquieting eagerness to bow to your corporate overlords, but at least follows established English morphology.
- (Other orthographic pet peeve of the day: "Hallowe'en." I donno, it just looks ugly.)
- Rock Band 3 Squier Strat available for pre-order http://bit.ly/gB3lO9 -- Remember, you need the MadCatz MIDI adapter *too*.
- Photos and impressions of Squier Strat from dude who finagled a display unit early: http://bit.ly/fZmpi2
- Cat-substitute refrigerator poetry: ersatz water shadows abscond together / a show of turgid fluff
- Kous Kous has a lit candle in the men's room. I felt compelled to turn off the light and pee by candlelight.
- Aw man, this rubbery fretless bass would've been the perfect accompaniment to pee by candlelight by.
- Notice: please do not gleam the cube.
- Cat-substitute refrigerator poetry: caterwaul always / luscious fusillade
- Especially if you look outside developed nations, the world has become a much better place over the past decade: http://bit.ly/fKcjjs