|april 2011 microblog digest|
Posted 2011-05-11 22:18:15 by
Archived from http://twitter.com/mogwai_poet
- Hey, April Fools backlash backlash. You know what really needs
defending? The status quo. Somehow it's always in imminent danger!
- Stingray X-Ray: http://imgur.com/RZZQt
- Roommates made too many pancakes. Again! There's something
about pancakes that makes people consistently overestimate how many
- What The Barber of Seville was missing was some dude playing
rock beats on a trap kit: http://bit.ly/et16N0
- Robot bird: http://bit.ly/fBrQ1X
- "Firm responsible for running the Deepwater Horizon has given
its top executives bonuses for its 'best year' for safety." http://j.mp/eKFlMU
- Growing up ugly: http://bit.ly/hqqEI0 -- "I didn't
get the life I wanted. I got something way better."
-- The baby has laser eyes. I'd panic. I'd also put a colon between
"about" and "babies."
- How to meet the girl of your dreams, using only a falconer's
- How to [trivially] sharpen and reuse disposable razor blades:
- Jonathan Blow talking about and demonstratively playing Braid
and prototypes for an hour and a half: http://bit.ly/gfQNNS
- I can't believe "copy con" still works under Vista. (I can't
believe I sometimes still use it.)
- Four NES Mario games, one controller: http://bit.ly/gmf9aQ (Tool-assisted
- Remember the Project Dolphin distributed-narcissism project?
No? Well, imagine this, but 10 years ago and now-defunct: http://whatpulse.org/
- Project Dolphin's client couldn't see keystrokes going to a DOS
window. That's why I switched to Emacs from QBasic's built-in text
- By far the best feature of an "encyclopedia anyone can edit" is
that it can include everything that anyone cares about. Why not let
- Reducing Bribery by Legalizing the Giving of Bribes: http://bit.ly/hbNPP5
- Man, I remember Another World as this super-epic cinematic
experience, but it's 15 minutes long if you don't die: http://bit.ly/guGtjG
- Final Form dudes give an interview about Jamestown over at Game
Set Watch: http://bit.ly/fPZvyL
- This Gamasutra article must've been written for, like, three
people in the world: http://bit.ly/g6EO7j
- @westquote If the other half turns out to also be plutonium,
don't follow the assembly instructions.
- When Harry Met Sally 2, starring Billy Crystal, Helen Mirren,
and Mike Tyson: http://bit.ly/gUwBtY
- "How To Steal Like An Artist (And 9 Other Things Nobody Told
Me)" [about making art] http://bit.ly/gPwPu2
- The Wason selection task: People suck at formal logic except
"when the rule has to do with cheating and privilege." http://j.mp/dDX2dY
- Two-part interview with Paul Reiche III and Fred Ford about the
creation of Star Control 2: http://bit.ly/i9zOxp http://bit.ly/gDPQNr
- Finally set up a proper dentist appointment. I gotta say, I'm
almost going to miss compulsively tonguing my fucked-up half-tooth.
- http://bit.ly/gJGWob --
"Our artist just quit. Instead of hiring a replacement, I bought
this CD-ROM of royalty-free animated clip-art!"
- The unexpected consequences of building your own Huey Hog: http://bit.ly/fvyRlo
- BART service apparently suspended indefinitely due to "police
action"? I gave myself like 45 minutes of margin to get to the
- I guess by "indefinitely" they meant for a minute and a half.
- In San Diego until the 25th.
- Never trust anyone over 32.
- Today's can't-fail startup idea: dentist specializing in bling
teeth made of LifeGems. "Got my whole family in here!"
- If you don't give your Cofagrigus a nickname, the Pokemon
naughty word filter won't let you take him online.
- Similarly, Rock Band 2 wouldn't let me call my band "The Green
Grapes." (But "The Green Grapists" was A-OK.)
- Tomorrow's can't-fail startup idea of the day: middleware
company that maintains a list of non-naughty words so you can *not*
- New French law makes it a terrible idea to do business with a
French web site, or to start a web business in France: http://j.mp/fnLjT4
- You've heard of MagiQuest, the PvE, high-fantasy re-skin of
laser tag? You got your LARP in my local shopping mall! http://j.mp/egQt64
- MagiQuest is probably much less well-designed and/or written
than, e.g. WoW, but much more appealing, because of the way it's
- It takes, like, one hour a month, stuffed with awesome, to be
looked-forward-to. Instead of drowning you in a background noise of
- Moot point, though. You know how as an adult male, you can't go
anywhere near children without being excoriated as a pedophile?
- New Humble Indie Bundle; this one is mostly Trine: http://bit.ly/htGWyX
- Watching Alex play Trine. Was just thinking I really ought to
buy it, then remembered I already had.
- "The Best of Sexual Harassment Stock Photography" http://bit.ly/i0ftXe
- http://j.mp/hCCbKD I wouldn't
have thought it necessary to put my name and address on a wall safe
in case it got lost, but what did I know?
- For your consideration, a penguin being tickled: http://bit.ly/dGhucs
- Dueling La Jolla restaurant bands outside mom's window. Lounge
singer in the nearby italian place; rock band in the bar across the
- The potato ARG is neat, but mostly I'm twitching at the idea of
hearing another pastry-related catchphrase repeated for the next two
- (Also, not to rain on the parade further, but Skynet was
supposed to become self-aware in 1997, not three days from now.)
- On the other hand, clever variations on established memes are
always welcome: http://bit.ly/gPSfv7
- I would've sworn this gun range would sell me earplugs, but
- Every dude in the San Diego metal scene -- or maybe just every
dude at this concert, I guess -- has the same build, haircut, hat
- Makes it hard to find the guy I know here who has that build,
hat, haircut and gait.
- Some of my best friends are metal fans! They just all look the
same is all.
- Joke's on me, he wasn't even wearing the hat today.
- So we get Portal 2 a whole two hours early? Does the lack of
results for all the potato-sack marathoning seem like bad PR to
- Not that I can play it anyway. If I had my desktop with me I'd
probably be collecting potatoes, and be actually annoyed rather than
- Just a little sleep deprivation adds up to serious cognitive
impairment, and you don't notice from the inside: http://j.mp/eX9eAD
- http://j.mp/dXtBb3 "The two
biggest videogame publishers have been unofficially-but-officially
sabotaging traditional game industry press."
- Rands' Summer Intern Field Guide: http://bit.ly/i0CV2c
- Like genetic diversity, diversity of phonemes in a population's
language decreases with distance from Africa: http://bit.ly/fLecMV
- Portal 2 co-op was awesome until they put spoilers for the
single-player campaign in the credits!
- So far single-player is pretty sweet too. Not perfect like
Portal was, but a lot more ambitious. (Why can't we be satisfied
- All three of Final Form Games discussing the design and
development of Jamestown on a podcast: http://bit.ly/f1ukKs
- I'm pretty sure April 19th, 2011 isn't an actual date. It just
doesn't ring right.
- "Appelsap is een non-alcoholische drank gemaakt van appels." I
wonder if the Dutch Wikipedia page for water specifies it's non-
- Can't decide whether the first or the last moment of Portal 2
is the best gaming moment of the year.
- Girl on train saw my "going to try science" tee; told me about
her 7-year-old daughter blowing up the bathroom with some chemical
- The story that bridges the gap between Portal and Portal 2: http://bit.ly/eWqd0G
- All of Jordan Mechner's personal journal entries from 1985 to
1993, when he was making Prince of Persia: http://bit.ly/BAAvu
- Portal 2 spoilercast with writers Erik Wolpaw, Jay Pinkerton
and Chet Faliszek: http://bit.ly/evIHhj
- http://j.mp/ecyDAb "[For Tron
Legacy], I was asked to record myself using a unix terminal doing
technologically feasible things."
- RT @mikelreparaz Just called bank to get PSN-linked debit card
changed, and was told they'd been notified Friday it had been
compromised. Did Sony know then?
- Out jogging. Stopped to pet a cat. Hipster-looking girl asks me
to hold her bike and compliments my shirt as she kneels to tie a
- Is this what the hu-mans call "flirting"? Should I start
working on a line for the next time I hold someone's bike?
- "When Microsoft upped the 360's RAM to 512 megs, Bethesda
literally threw a party. It was the happiest I've seen some people
- Commentary nodes are disappointingly sparse in Portal 2. Also,
replaying feels like a chore in places. That never happened in the
- Portal's puzzles exactly covered the possibility space of one
elegant mechanic. Portal 2 adds a bunch of mechanics and a bunch of
- In other words, Portal 2 feels like a video game. That that's
disappointing says a lot about the original.
- @thealawson That sounds like flirting material to me. I should
have tried quoting it back at her.
- @mrasmus I tend to agree. Longer almost always means more
filler, and less energy to make each individual moment perfect.
- (Come to think of it, part of what makes the commentary
playthrough feel like a chore is that they turned off saving and
- @mrasmus I sort of take issue with the very idea of long-form
storytelling in games. I can't keep track of a story over 10 hours.
- @mrasmus I love Max Payne 2's writing, played it a dozen times,
but I can't tell you even the broad strokes. ...Maybe that's a bad
- @thealawson I'm not, by my sense or your definition. Are there
hipster forums I could go to for earnest advice about hipster
- @thealawson As long as I'm allowed to frame them as coming from
someone other than myself.
- @thealawson I'm usually inclined to let cultures define
themselves, but I'm honestly unsure if anyone self-identifies as a
- @thealawson Yeah, I'm still not sure how that happened! And
just a little bitter that it didn't happen while I was still in high
- Squier strat guitar controller arrived suddenly. Maybe they
sent me a "backordered" notice rather than a "now shipping" notice
- Still need to get the MIDI adapter; I expected more warning.
- Computational double-entendre identification: http://bit.ly/mqnnAV
- Ribbon Hero 2: http://j.mp/eFcZeP "Very few
gamification projects invest in the extensive prototyping necessary
to identify their core loop"
- I wonder whether I'd get a discount on coffee from the "pour
excess coffee here" bucket.
- Instead of just informing me I've plugged something into an
audio jack, why not *play some audio*? Great feature of dumb audio
- John Mellencamp's "Hurts So Good" started playing on the radio
just as they injected the anesthetic.
- I'm guessing the perception of a root canal as the worst
possible thing predates the invention of anesthetic. I mean, it
- Tonguing my new proto-tooth feels like plasticine.