|august 2011 microblog digest|
Posted 2011-09-07 18:15:40 by
Archived from http://twitter.com/mogwai_poet:
- Yep, in case you'd forgotten, Blizzard is still owned by Activision. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/01/diablo-iii-no-mods-online-only-cash-trades/
- I feel terrible for the people for whom "get to play Diablo 3" vs. "don't have to put up with corporate scumbag bullshit" is a hard choice.
- Edsger Dijkstra wrote: "Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
- As soon as we figure out a better way to reach the stars I am leaving this rusty old shit behind.
- Thank goodness for all the telescope fetishists out there, though. Can you configure remote debugging in Visual Studio for me?
- What actually happens when you try that trick where you pick up girls using a falconer's glove as a prop: http://riotclitshave.com/2011.07/110525_011.jpg
- When I compile "hello world" in Turbo C, the exe file is 6k but in Microsoft C it's 9k! WHERE ARE THOSE EXTRA 3K COMING FROM MICROSOFT
- Belle and Sebastian, "Marx and Engels" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ihsxw_1n0
- RT @RAgamesound I usually just mute the art when I play videogames.
- http://www.aosabook.org/en/index.html "The authors of twenty-five open source applications explain how their software is structured, and why."
- The line past which you can ascribe culpability to a subordinate for his or her organization's crimes is fuzzy, but it exists.
- On one side of the line: the adolescent soldier fighting for an African warlord; the janitor who's lucky to have any job in this economy.
- *Way* on the other side of the line: everyone with the luxury of choosing to work for a media company rather than one that's not as "cool."
- "I mean, look where the religious studies major got me! I'm a floating alligator head in the goddamned desert!" http://nonadventures.com/2007/10/06/gator-aid/
- Michael Pachter's idiocy is usually harmless, but here he's actively working to change people's lives for the worse. http://www.develop-online.net/news/38317/Unpaid-crunch-deserves-no-sympathy-Pachter
- The sole Twitter archival service that actually functioned properly, without forcing you spam your followers, went down in the past month.
- It's partly my own fault for not publicly praising them for being competent. I'm so sorry, Searchtastic! (Yes, it was the awful name.)
- SoulEye, "Potential For Anything," from the VVVVVV soundtrack. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj8MsbgpjaQ
- @mrasmus Yeah, let's make it happen.
- Jim Crawford facts: about once a year, I get email asking for medical advice re earlobe cysts. Google for earlobe cyst and you'll see why.
- I accidentally bought sugar-free Gatorade and discovered that what I like about Gatorade after going running is the sugar.
- And yet the idea of drinking soda after running is repulsive. Go figure.
- Reginald Spears, saving Wal*Mart music purchasers from themselves, one CD at a time. http://www.countrycalifornia.com/local-man-arrested-for-merchandise-tampering-at-area-walmart/
- Worth repeating on Monday: Registered for TIGJam. Oct 20th-23rd, at the Hacker Dojo in Mountain View. Who's coming? http://tigjam.com/
- Untraceable by TBC, a 1k demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMaNxyHhH6A
- "Vaughn Meader may still be the single biggest crash-and-burn story in the history of showbiz." http://deadspin.com/5829643/dead-comedian-of-the-week-vaughn-meader-assassins-victim
- Can't-fail startup idea of the day: Angry Poop. In the wake of the WTC attacks, you slingshot poop at the homes of vaguely swarthy people.
- "No Luca No," interactive protect-your-breakfast sim, available now on XBLIG. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCXI6hLneyE
- Photo set: Quangxi province, China. http://izhsv.35photo.ru/
- "King Frederick I sent the pelt and bones to a taxidermist who, living in 18th century Sweden, had never seen a lion." http://i.imgur.com/VASEE.jpg
- Virt, "Across Rooftops" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bsL5GJuTs4
- Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet: we'd live in a better world if there were more games about sentient umbrellas with grabby crane arms.
- "NOTICE OF PROPOSED LAND USE ACTION" http://www.mygreenlake.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Land-Use-Sign-at-Big-Hole.jpg
- Wonder if you get a bulk discount on that many balls, or if it's even more because you're throwing the whole ball pit economy out of whack.
- "Portal lead Kim Swift to debut downloadable game at PAX" http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/22/portal-lead-kim-swift-to-debut-downloadable-game-at-pax/
- RT @antumbral PHP ships a version with a bug in the crypto code. Their automated tests caught the bug, but nobody pays any attention to them. PHP!
- @antumbral I can't tell whether you mean "PHP!" like you're angry and shaking a fist at them, or like you're introducing PHP on stage.
- The state of science journalism: "How did this confused school science project became international news?" http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2011/08/blog-debunks-13-year-old-scientists-solar-power-breakthrough/41520/
- "The core of Diablo is a circle-trading game." See this? This is what happens to your brain when you never leave your cultural echo chamber.
- (Then, for bonus points, he explains that always-on is no problem because wifi is cheap and plentiful where he lives.) http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/22/diablo-3-lead-designer-on-lack-of-offline-mode-the-game%E2%80%99s-not-really-being-played-right-if-it%E2%80%99s-not-online/
- New viral social networking game: sum up the history of your sex life in one safe-for-work cat video. I'll go first! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAr5Q_VxRGM
- "zeo-x-s," by Quite. A demoscene product, but not, as far as I can tell, real-time. http://vimeo.com/25284552
- Which was a followup to this 4k demo by the same people, incidentally: http://www.vimeo.com/15138486
- The Beatles, "Blackbird" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaSMROk-D-A
- @mrasmus Bandpass and distort, and you've got your morning zoo personality voice all up in their grill(s).
- You're not fooling anyone. Stop acting like you know what "pretentious" means and just say "gay" like everyone else.
- "Why Iceland Should Be in the News, But Is Not" http://sacsis.org.za/site/article/728.1?frommailing=1
- Retail vs. digital is getting grisly now: Gamestop is removing OnLive passes from sealed copies of Deus Ex. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08/report-gamestop-opening-deus-ex-copies-removing-free-game-code.ars
- Rock doves? More like roc doves, amirite? http://riotclitshave.com/2011.08/110401_003.jpg
- I feel like I'm harping on the G+ pseudonym thing now, but Charles Stross just posted a must-read about it. http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2011/08/why-im-not-on-google-plus.html
- RT @shaver As a guy who likes kids, I definitely identify with this: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/jt1s0/as_a_male_why_is_it_creepier_if_i_have_any/
- Playing my new project compulsively, like I did with Futilitris. A good sign.
- RT @willwilkinson Class-war fact: Ruthlessly competitive, patent-monopolist, multi-billionaire executives are worth fawning over, if they've got design sense.
- Rock Paper Shotgun talks to Jonathan Blow about The Witness. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/15/jonathan-blow-interview/
- Hiroshi Iuchi, "Metempsychosis," from the Ikaruga soundtrack. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXzCfactRfk
- (~1:05 to 1:20 was my previous landlord's ringtone.)
- Just occurred to me, since I started taking melatonin a couple years ago, not once have I given up on sleep after trying for two hours.
- Indy got excited at the minimalist cookie recipe, because he's gluten-intolerant. Lots of skepticism at Harper, but everyone loved them.
- "I lay the blame squarely on slut-shaming culture and the myth of 'spontaneous' romance." http://pervocracy.blogspot.com/2011/08/no-means-no.html
- The skip button allowed DX:HR to include the most tedious tutorials imaginable. To any complaint, apologists can say "Hey, you can skip it!"
- Maybe the tutorials do eventually, finally, get around to conveying important information. But I'll never find out.
- Halloween science! http://www.myscienceproject.org/trick.html