|december 2012 microblog digest|
Posted 2013-02-12 05:06:04 by
Archived from http://twitter.com/mogwai_poet:
- RT @codemastermm You know what would be great on the Wii-U? A new Pok�e9;mon Snap. Think about it.
- @ChevyRay That was my experience learning Unity this weekend. Took me a full day just to figure out how to get a png imported and onscreen. ↲
- @ChevyRay It must get faster as you get more familiar with it, though; I've seen people build things in Unity very quickly. ↲
- @SeeBeeWhitman @ChevyRay My intent is to treat Unity like I treat Flash: it's a target platform that my code compiles to. ↲
- Why you want women, plural, on your development team. dgaider.tumblr.co...
- RT @wavenger Things to never say to an AI: "I'd like an everything bagel."
- "I've hacked the system! Oh, right..." was pretty much exactly my train of thought at that moment. what-if.xkcd.com/...
- RT @geardrops Hey @mrasmus sphotos-b.xx.fbcd...
- Can't-fail startup idea of the day: Mechanical-Turk-powered paint program.
- RT @pervocracy Wow, "transvestism" is an official diagnosis in my nursing books. I didn't know we were the Fashion Police.
- Sportsfriends Kickstarter has less than a week and $80k to go. kickstarter.com/p...
- @GMOWIGI What's the deal with the sign-up form requiring a degree? Literally none of the best programmers I know learned to code in school.
- @GMOWIGI Same deal with every other game development discipline, actually. Everyone's an auto-didact.
- Kelsey just spent 15 minutes describing desserts she wants to make in a progressively sleepier voice, then fell asleep on the phone.
- @ForneusLex Ah, I hadn't seen it, thanks! ↲
- @adamcadre This reminds me, apropos of basically nothing, I've meant to recommend Tally Hall's "Good and Evil" to you. youtube.com/watch... ↲
- @adamcadre It's super weird to me that we've never met or even talked really and I yet I care enough to send you music. But there it is. ↲
- Renley the mini-dachsund puppy, navigating treacherous terrain: youtube.com/watch...
- Underwater atomic bomb test. youtube.com/watch...
- Dave Brubeck died today. youtube.com/watch...
- What happens if everybody gathers in Rhode Island and jumps? The planet's orbit is unaffected, but we all die anyway. what-if.xkcd.com/...
- RT @neiltyson After hearing my skepticism of eyewitness testimony, six other jury candidates promptly agreed. And they got sent home too.
- @adamcadre Hrm. I want to say I observed particular musical qualities you've talked about enjoying, but I can't actually think of them. ↲
- @adamcadre The only concrete touchstone I can think of is The Beatles. I suspect there was some wishful thinking in there too. ↲
- Hotline Miami is probably the first game I'd actually call a murder simulator.
- Like, if I ran into a house full of thugs with baseball bats and tried to murder them, I'm convinced it'd be exactly like Hotline Miami.
- Minus the restart button, I mean.
- @jamesharveytm youtube.com/watch... ↲
- @benprunty Probably, yeah. ↲
- @Stigmeyer I did play that, for an hour. It was similarly gross and effective at conveying a mood, but a lot more gamey than simulatery. ↲
- RT @ActualPerson084 LOSE ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING WITH THIS ONE WEIRD TRICK DISCOVERED BY A SINGLE MOM.
- Sportsfriends AMA over on Reddit: reddit.com/r/IAmA...
- @wavenger That's like when my mom woke me up to help carry in groceries, and I fell back asleep and dreamed that I helped. ↲
- @Eindacor_DS Thanks! ↲
- @JohnPolson Doom is, surprisingly, still one of the most accessible *and* one of the best. Great mechanics, great tactical space design. ↲
- RT @aegies unsolicited advice: you don't want your first defense to be "well SHE didn't think it was sexist!" or "HE didn't think it was racist!", etc.
- @aegies Given that it was evidently her idea, the defense is actually "Well *I* didn't think it was sexist!" ↲
- @JohnPolson I'd argue that's one of Doom's strengths. Also, I don't think you'll find an FPS that does jumping as well as Metroid Prime. ↲
- @JohnPolson But, look into Halo. I never got into it, but it's supposedly really well-made and has big arena spaces and a jump button. ↲
- @JohnPolson Me too! ↲
- @JohnPolson FWIW: all great games, but none are great introductory FPSes. Quake 3 might've been in 1999, but not with today's player-base. ↲
- First I couldn't hold a candle to Edward, now I have *this* standard to live up to! youretsyboyfriend...
- ... huh. "Mature games and content on European Wii U eShop only accessible at night." polygon.com/2012/...
- With 48 hours to go, Sportsfriends is finally getting the attention it needs. It's actually looking plausible now. kickstarter.com/p...
- Oh shit, the $60 tier gives you access to a developer podcast series. I was thinking about bumping up my pledge anyway.
- At the Computer History Museum in Mountain View: directly inside the entrance: "Caroling with PDP-1"
- They're loading each song on punched tape.
- Judging by the plywood boxes with hand-labeled buttons, this is the Spacewar room the rest of the year.
- Slide rule tie clip. "A popular retirement gift for engineers in the mid-1900s."
- William Schickard, ca. 1632. "Among his many inventions was a machine to help with Hebrew grammar."
- Hell, we missed today's performance of the Difference Engine by 45 minutes.
- God, I want to reach out and fiddle with these switches, knobs and jacks, but every machine has a "no touching" sign.
- Touchscreen interfaces are the worst. At least keyboards have a *little* tactile feedback. We need to solve this problem, as a culture.
- Counterpoint: here's a patch panel that's a hideous nest of brown and orange wires. It's a good thing we've moved past *that*.
- The ENIGMA machine has an odd keyboard layout: QWERTZUIO / ASDFGHJK / PYXCVBNML. Wonder if that's a standard layout somewhere in the world.
- "Unreliability of commercial memory tubes was traced to specks of lint because they'd been manufactured in a converted mattress factory."
- You know, if I worked at an office with a bathroom I could live in a house without a bathroom and just poop at work.
- This IBM SAGE Intercept Technician Console has a cigarette lighter and an ashtray.
- ThIs room is about missile defense systems. You can tell because it's playing the Call of Duty soundtrack on A 30 second loop.
- @ForneusLex It's also a pretty hard problem to solve. But I don't see much acknowledgement that it *is* problem. ↲
- @mcclure111 I live in Berkeley. I remember you from the Oakland Molyjam. Yes, let's! ↲
- My phone lost power about halfway through the Computer History Museum, and none of the connectors on display were micro-USB.
- I remember the computer music section was shamefully anemic and non-interactive. I've got a Korg Poly-800 and Roland MT-32 I could donate.
- And the computer gaming section had some shameful installations. Pretty sure Pong and Pac-Man had better performance using 1970s technology.
- @grapefrukt I think I could arrange an eating/pooping schedule to support that. ↲
- @mcclure111 Well we didn't actually *talk* at the Oakland Molyjam :) What are you doing next week? ↲
- @OptimistPanda Looking at the inactive machine, I believe it! ↲
- "24 Pharmaceutical Ads from 1930s France" 50watts.com/24-Ph...
- "How to Talk to Human Beings" codinghorror.com/...
- Privileges of being the Frog Fractions guy: I can release this with no context and people will hammer on it forever: twinbeardstudios....
- Pro-tip: there are no secrets! It's just the one non-interactive thing.
- RT @pillowfort @mogwai_poet i have to adjust my game of the year list
- This is a pretty cool VVVVVV-inspired puzzle game: ded.increpare.com...
- "Predicting and controlling NetHack's randomness" taeb-nethack.blog...
- "On the nethack.alt.org... public server, I killed myself by kicking wands of wishing on the first level -- three times in one day."
- "Burrito Bomber: The world's first airborne mexican food delivery system" (CC @STRd6) darwinaerospace.c...
- @RyanWGleason @HMXhenry I made Frog Fractions, and I've never heard of The Toadies. But sometimes friends give me weird nicknames, so maybe? ↲
- @Jennorocks Thanks! The narrator was @Vanther. ↲
- @HMXhenry @RyanWGleason Awesome, thanks! ↲
- @RyanWGleason @HMXhenry Hey wait, didn't The Toadies have that one single on MTV the year I had cable TV? I totally *have* heard of them.
- Here's why you shouldn't be scared of your child's Minecraft obsession: deangroom.wordpre...
- Page up and page down work for me in Firefox again! Frabjous day, &c. support.mozilla.o...
- Ian Bogost hypothesizes about what the Wii U's release means for the state of Nintendo's culture. Fascinating stuff. gamasutra.com/vie...
- The part about Nintendo creating the perception that games are toys for children deserves to be spun off into its own essay. (CC: @ibogost)
- @mrasmus You would, wouldn't you! In my case at least, Asus was to blame. ↲
- @TerribleJeff I was impressed by itunes.apple.com/... ↲
- RT @TronKnotts @mogwai_poet @ibogost I'm just excited to see Mr. Bogost talk about Little Inferno, a game that I think of as Cow Clicker on steroids.
- @protensity soundcloud.com/da... ↲
- @zhiwiller Pretty sure, yeah! ↲
- "A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible" updates for the first time in six years. Worth the wait. alessonislearned....
- Remember the backlash when Facebook asked you to fill out info about your friends? If only they'd made it into a game: polygon.com/2012/...
- "Why Are Dead People Liking Stuff On Facebook?" readwrite.com/201...
- The "like" verb on Facebook has two very different uses. In one, you're establishing a connection to a real person whom you probably know.
- In the other use, you're ticking a checkbox to volunteer to become part of a corporate brand's marketing machine.
- This is a very different act from describing or even simply stating your affection for a company or a product.
- When you actually sit down and write a message in your own voice, you're still engaging with people on a human level, which is a good thing.
- Part of this is just me being bull-headed about advertising, of course.
- E.g. I wouldn't link to that Old Spice game even though it's a pretty fun game *and* Old Spice is my preferred deodorant. Because fuck ads.
- "When hiring engineers, the focus should be on one thing only: code clarity. No puzzles, gotchas, any other crap." santosh-log.herok...
- Bay area vandals are the most poetical vandals. twitter.com/mogwa...
- @zhiwiller Maybe? My intent is to discourage ads, full stop. At the very least, fewer "cool" ads would mean fewer ads I become aware of. ↲
- @esdin I'm mystified that it's not standard for coders to *write code* during the hiring process. Like, on a computer, with a debug cycle. ↲
- @troygilbert No matter how tasteful and subtle, an ad is still inherently and primarily about convincing you to give a company your money. ↲
- @troygilbert No human-to-human interaction is ever so mercenary. None that we put up with, anyway. Why do we put up with companies doing it? ↲
- New most awesome substance: en.wikipedia.org/...
- "It felt so SO good to realize it was my fault! This is way better than forgiving." sivers.org/my-fau...
- "To decide it's your fault feels amazing! You weren't wronged. They were just playing their part in the situation you created. What power!"
- RT @necrosofty If anyone who follows me and makes games has not taken the quality of life survey, please do! it's an important thing! surveymonkey.com/...
- @jamesharveytm Wait, isn't it just as expensive to print a CD without music than it is to print one with music? ↲
- @jamesharveytm Oh, a blank CD-R! I don't know why, but for some reason I was assuming production values. ↲
- "PSA: Your Default Narrative Settings Are Not Apolitical" fozmeadows.wordpr...
- RT @OsagaTheGreat Someone managed to convince the school Frog Fractions was educational. This is the best thing ever on my school computer.
- How fire works in Far Cry 2. (TL;DR: 3D cellular automata.) jflevesque.com/20...
- @BooDooPerson @treyher I'd wanted to build the text adventure in Inform, but I couldn't find an open-source Z-machine interpreter for Flash. ↲
- Circumventing song fingerprinting:
- @JoeMartini Are you married? According to this list, for my next unlock I need to cause a divorce. ↲
- RT @JoeMartini @mogwai_poet no but if miss child support payment is on there you may have just prestiged
- @coaxmetal @ja2ke That just makes me wonder why the entire continent of Africa isn't burning continuously. ↲
- @DanieleIppolit8 As I recall it actually *is* analog, internally, it just has the terrible interface of the early digital synths. ↲
- The Big Bang Theory as nerd blackface: wolvensnothere.tu...
- "The minstrel show of geekery, with the ONE guy who 'isn't like that,' and who gets to 'get the girl,' because he can 'tone it down.'"
- @Chispshot In this context, at least, I'm taking those two things as equivalent. "Nerd" is a pretty broad term. ↲
- @Chispshot You mean exaggerations of Asperger's specifically? Every character is a caricature of *something*. "Joe Sixpack" is an archetype. ↲
- The touchstones I like to use for respectful vs. exploitative treatments of nerd culture are "Real Genius" vs. "Weird Science."
- Real Genius is maybe the most insightful and approachable I've seen, for others to understand nerds and for nerds to understand themselves.
- @GraemeGarden1 @conkerhimself And 42,196 were killed in motor vehicle accidents. ↲
- @dogbomb The most interesting cases for me are people who like Frog Fractions who haven't pressed down, and people who dislike it who have. ↲
- The Minimum Wage Machine: "Turning the crank will yield one penny every 4.97 seconds, for $7.25 an hour." blakefallconroy.c...
- Remember Clay Shirky's aphorism, "Institutions will try to preserve the problem to which they are the solution"?
- The Minimum Wage Machine is what Economics trying to preserve Scarcity will look like.
- @TomSmizzle Gameplay-wise? I personally found I couldn't find a sustainably fun set of mechanics, which is why I started switching them up. ↲
- @MammonMachine It breaks my heart that as a culture we don't take extreme life-extension research more seriously. ↲
- @MammonMachine Like how cryonics is considered a joke. Or the argument that death makes life more meaningful. ↲
- @TomSmizzle Right, that makes sense. ↲
- What do corners actually look like? An SSAO case study. nothings.org/game...
- RT @Mikengreg For some reason we don't get a lot of advertising deals going... i.imgur.com/tSpR5...
- RT @n8phelps Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.
- @physmo Do you have examples handy? I've never noticed AO being too heavy personally. ↲
- RT @neilsarkar If your pitch doesn't end with "...and the cops can't do shit." then your startup idea sucks.
- @physmo Yeah, that is quite strong now that I pay attention to it specifically. I think it fits the rendering style overall, though. ↲
- @physmo I was more put off by how videogamey it is, compared to Far Cry 2. ↲
- @physmo My takeaway from the Quick Look: I'd probably really enjoy it if I had a lot more free time. ↲
- "Reports clearly document that U.S. hellfire missiles have intentionally targeted funerals and civilian rescuers." businessinsider.c...
- This weekend's Ludum Dare theme is "You Are the Villain." Given that every video game is about murder, isn't that a little redundant?
- @mcclure111 @eddiecameron Yeah, honestly there's a lot of good, obvious low-hanging fruit there. Have you played Marius Fietzek's The Visit? ↲
- @sklathill I think I'm still going to be trying to figure that one out a week from now. Is it the "going through a pipe" sound? ↲
- @mcclure111 @eddiecameron Takes 30 seconds to get the gist, five minutes to explore fully. newgrounds.com/po... ↲
- @LouisGorenfeld unmanned.molleind... ↲
- RT @michaelblume I desperately wish that "ten children died today" was anywhere near as unusual as everyone seems to think it is.
- @ebeinke Not literally every game, of course. A Sims-like game in which you play the villain would be fascinating. ↲
- There are species names in the ingredients. You learn their names before you drink them! This one's named Jeff. twitter.com/mogwa...
- Can't-fail startup idea of the day: edible LEDs.
- I read The Hobbit a very long time ago, so I don't really remember it. Did it read like a nine-hour episode of The Three Stooges?
- @Archfriend They did a really good job then! ↲
- @UXJosh Production values were plenty high, if that's what you mean. I just didn't care for the writing/script. ↲
- I'm pretty sure this is a line from that Doom comic. twitter.com/mogwa...
- I'd never seen the Famicom Disk System version of this glitch! Japan got all the best stuff in the 80s. youtube.com/watch...
- @ndril Walked past them without acknowledgement, anyway! ↲
- @Triplefox I love that sort of thing. I remember writing a QBasic program to generate Game Genie codes and spent hours exploring that space. ↲
- @Triplefox And Super Mario Bros is such a dense game, byte-wise, that a small change often has visibly interesting results. ↲
- @UXJosh The frame rate made everything look oddly fake, for about five minutes. After that I got used to it. ↲
- @johntdrake This year, late October. Exactly when is a judgement call, because the URL kind of got out before the intended release. ↲
- @mrasmus @johntdrake Right, I demoed it at TIGJam and on the IGG stream in 2011, before fractions got involved. ↲
- @johntdrake @mrasmus For sure, yes. ↲
- RT @whitney "We wanted to let you know that TWO SECONDS AGO you asked to never hear from us ever again. Just keeping you updated on that whole thing."
- "I asked teenagers what most surprised them most. To a person, it was one thing: The vector monitor on Asteroids." ascii.textfiles.c...
- RT @pjf OMG! New Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality chapter! Don't know what I'm excited about? Start here: hpmor.com/... #hpmor
- 92 minutes of The Grateful Dead tuning their instruments in 1977. archive.org/detai...
- (Needs a mastering pass.)
- @benprunty Notably, that only worked because the level design was so clean and distinctive that you didn't *need* a map. ↲
- @NegalosTristari "Due to surface shipping normally takes 2-4 months, we cannot accept unreceived claim untill after 4 months of shipping." ↲
- This two-second shot of Weezer's drummer is the most amazing thing. "Yep, I'm awesome. Whoops, gotta run!"
- "PetPetter: never touch your pets again!" i.imgur.com/V9shW...
- @admung It is certainly that! ↲
- @frank0127 But this makes perfect sense! Pet owners hate touching pets; pets still want to be touched; robots! QED! ↲
- Eagle nearly gets away with baby. youtube.com/watch...
- RT @auntiepixelante some of these screens are so pretty but if there's ONE GAME that really has nothing to gain from constant npc blather it's knytt
- RT @auntiepixelante also, there's something about "you've found 6/60 save points" messages that makes exploring a world less wondrous
- RT @ja2ke Bird in the parking lot discovered that every rear view mirror contains another bird, is going down the row trying to fight them one by one.
- Kittens love a lactating milk jug. (NSFW) youtube.com/watch...
- Plane accidentally lands on top of other plane trying to land. Someone should name a sex act after this.
- "The Non-Controlled Airport."
- Spent 20 minutes picking persimmons with 15-foot remote pruning shears. Tree owner thanked me, as if I wasn't just having the most fun ever.
- If Frog Fractions taught me anything, it's how much you guys are into ladybugs. 1500 live ladybugs, delivered for $10: amazon.com/gp/aw/...
- Today's @xkcd is a great sendup of corporate white knights rushing to defend their brands with disingenuous analogies: xkcd.com/1150/...
- Global Game Jam is next month. Anyone interested in the SF event? eventbrite.com/ev...
- @vogon @Vanther See you there! @BrianNumberOne @daemonpants Possibly see you there! ↲
- @mrasmus Probably feel tremendously guilty. ↲
- @BrianNumberOne Hm, do you mean concurrently? Because then I can't do both! ↲
- Ice bullets from the sky! What on earth is going on?
- Pusheen the cat: How to catch Santa pusheen.com/post/...
- @doctorfedora Thanks :) ↲
- Guys, guys, according to this, Frog Fractions is as good as Journey and almost as good as Fez. That's pretty cool. giantbomb.com/gam...
- @vogon @mrasmus I am super pleased with this! ↲
- And a merry Christmas to you as well, Brad and Justin! giantbomb.com/gam... giantbomb.com/new...
- @bengrue Thanks! ↲
- Spaceteam is pretty amazing. Would be even more amazing if I and/or more people I knew had an iOS thingy.
- My favorite Spaceteam levels are the ones where you come up with names for glyphs. By the end of it you've invented shared vocabulary.
- @mrasmus I'm in San Diego for like two days this month? So it might happen! ↲
- @BonerHell Thanks! I can think of worse hells. ↲
- RT @pattheflip @mogwai_poet Congratulations, you're the first person in the world to express the "Man, I wish more people had iPhones" sentiment.
- @RanHarpaz @giantbomb Thanks! Glad you liked it. ↲
- @HostBryan Glad you liked it! ↲
- @piss_wizard @Horse_Crimes Thanks! ↲
- @Matt_Farley Thanks! Glad you liked it. ↲
- @daemonpants For it! ↲
- RT @thristhart twinbeardstudios.... a lesson in the excellence that can be hidden behind first impressions.
- @Horse_Crimes @piss_wizard Yeah, I love that stuff! ↲
- @Skeames1214 Thanks! ↲
- @Razpacho Thanks so much! ↲
- @kennyrioux Thank, glad you liked it! ↲
- @kennyrioux s
- @kennyrioux You too! ↲
- @NuDirtyBastard Awesome! I'm glad I could help make that happen. ↲
- RT @vyxor a very frog fractions christmas to you
- @brentnash Thanks! :) ↲
- @cosmonautDREW Not to spoil too much, but under certain circumstances there is a Chapter Select option. ↲
- @Plankfan We're having a special offer this week: I'll be marrying all Frog Fractions fans. ↲
- @thesmashingone We don't judge here at Twinbeard. ↲
- @davidsgallant S'up. ↲
- @cosmonautDREW Go be with family :) ↲
- @thesmashingone Thanks! I will be making more games for sure, but time will tell whether they're like this. ↲
- @davidsgallant Thanks! Yeah, it's slow. I blame Flash. ↲
- Frog Fractions won Giant Bomb's URL of the Year award. (My own award would probably go to http://t.co/t940eOER.) giantbomb.com/new...
- @andihero CHECK UNDER EVERY SURFACE ↲
- @WiFi_Pirate Let her know I had to refresh my understanding of fractions to implement the scoring system. So *somebody* learned something. ↲
- @Space_Titanium I think I can guess without even looking :) ↲
- @Lightdud Glad you liked it! ↲
- @WiFi_Pirate It's *like* an actual number. I wrote the boxing history, but @Vanther performed it. ↲
- @WiFi_Pirate @Vanther Thanks! ↲
- @ottoman673 A shame because it was spoiled for you? I'm glad you liked it anyway! ↲
- @RockGrumbler Thanks! ↲
- @ottoman673 Send me a link when it's done. ↲
- @ottoman673 Ah, yeah, I was just looking at that because it was also a search result for "Frog Fractions." A good writeup, thanks! ↲
- @_travellinman Chapter select! ↲
- @grahamdrowe @aubsdotcom Speed run! Title goes to whoever discovers the one-command shortcut past the text adventure. ↲
- @HeadOnAHinge @ameart I won't say you're playing Frog Fractions wrong, but I will say you'd probably enjoy it more if you played it right. ↲
- @westquote That's the one about an aging Angus MacGyver, right? ↲
- @frank0127 Yeah, it's pretty amazing! ↲
- @frank0127 Man, now that you bring it up, I'm really enjoying the idea of there being a crop of games obviously inspired by Frog Fractions. ↲
- @Machkovech I'm the best at teaching fractions. It is known. ↲
- RT @aristosophy This Is Not What a Pipe Looks Like
- RT @scottsimpson Maybe it's just me, but reading books on an iPad Mini, I really miss the smell, the heft, the traditional reading experience of an iPad 2.
- RT @BeeStapler #FirstWorldProblems I'm sorry, but your son's tumor isn't responding to the chemo.
- @bengrue "I was so lucky getting mono. That was like the best diet ever." ↲
- @_travellinman It appears after its appearance is no longer a spoiler. ↲
- As part of their top 12 indie games of 2012 piece, indiegames.com... asked me for my own indie picks from this year: indiegames.com/20...
- @SpectraSwallow youtube.com/watch... ↲
- @frank0127 I might have to expand on it, because I had a lot more to say that there wasn't really room for. ↲
- Since I had more to say about my 2012 indie picks than indiegames.com... had space for, here's the expanded version: twinbeardstudios....
- @LouisGorenfeld Mmm... aybe? Oh god damn it, Ubisoft bought them in 2011. ↲
- RT @bombsfall I MADE @CLEODEE PLAY #FROGFRACTIONS AND IT SAVED OUR MARRIAGE
- Now if one of my games causes a divorce I don't have to feel guilty! @bombsfall @cleodee ↲
- @LouisGorenfeld Yeah, it's certainly not a well-defined term. ↲
- I think that's a Christmas tree atop that hill, but the lights are the wrong color. Maybe they were cheaper? "Only the worst for our Lord!"
- @ZoomyRamen Excellent, glad to hear it! ↲
- @germdisco Wrong as in a sort of beige. Beige isn't a Christmas color! ↲
- @JMRomeo Glad you enjoyed it! Just out of curiosity, what brought you around to the decision that it made more sense? ↲
- @JMRomeo Ah, yeah, I love intertextuality! This might be my favorite example: timetraveler.ytmn... ↲
- I've got something like 40,000 Frog Fractions visa signatures in my Dropbox by now. Still trying to figure out what to do with them all.
- @evilbadman Does Flickr have user voter/rating capabilities? My favorite idea so far is still to create a subreddit and submit them all. ↲
- @KestrelPi I'd need some SSNs to make the most of it. I didn't think to gather those. ↲
- Interesting analysis of Half-Life's barnacles from a design perspective: destructoid.com/u...
- @singing_pigs @johntdrake Frog Factions, the RTS sequel. ↲
- @frank0127 Right, yeah. ↲
- @frank0127 Medusa Trigonometry ↲
- @Reetesh Yes. ↲
- @Reetesh Frog Fractals. ↲
- @Reetesh Frogpinski gasket ↲
- @sourceelement Er, no. Where in the game did that happen? ↲
- @Reetesh Frg ↲
- This is why I do nothing all day other than lie in bed and obsess over the best use of my time. smbc-comics.com/i...
- @Reetesh r ↲
- @davidjung03 Thanks! :) ↲
- @sourceelement I'll look into it, thanks! ↲
- @ChetBiggenston Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! ↲
- @benprunty I still plan to make that roguelike. ↲
- "Under the guise of wanting to end bullying, they're exculpating the system which engenders it." siderea.livejourn...
- RT @jamesharveytm You can't allow players to kill children in videogames. What about a ray that makes them age 100 years in ten seconds and then die?
- @hamptonus Yeah, getting primates to stop establishing social strata is unrealistic. But we have a responsibility to address the issue. ↲
- @hamptonus I do believe that. en.wikipedia.org/... ↲
- @RobThez Hm. In this context, who is "we"? Linux User Magazine? ↲
- @Segaholic2 Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! ↲
- "An amplified cactus is a cactus plant used as a musical instrument. It harnesses the acoustic properties of a cactus." en.wikipedia.org/...
- @dr_davidsanchez I did that in the theater. Pretty sure I didn't miss anything. ↲
- @vogon I think it's hard to get anything recorded because the instrument keeps evolving into a Maractus. ↲
- The amplified cactus in action, because I know you're wondering: youtube.com/watch... (Thanks, @pragmatism!)
- I think this might be the first Frog Fractions fan art I've seen. And it's pretty awesome. kotaku.com/597217...
- First depending how you define "art," of course. Using a broader definition, it'll be hard for anybody to top this: youtube.com/watch...
- @RobThez In that case, what I had in mind is even dumber. "Linux User Magazine? I hardly know 'er!" ↲
- Also here is this amazing Hotline Miami fan art: midnitesurprise.c...
- So Django Unchained makes the fifth Tarantino movie in a row with the same exact revenge plot. I guess he likes that one a lot.
- Also, I'm pretty sure that writing a scene with the intent of establishing a character as evil automatically makes you a hack.
- @RandomOutput I guess that assertion is a specific version of the more general thesis, that writing an "evil" character makes you a hack. ↲
- @TronKnotts On the bright side, tweeting the email address of someone you hate signs them up for a bunch of online newsletters. ↲
- I get that Tarantino is doing homage to movies with that revenge fantasy scenario. He's making bad movies in homage to bad movies.
- Not just bad in the sense of "poorly made," but harmful in that they reinforce the notion that "bad people" exist and we should kill them.
- That Tarantino is such a good storyteller makes this worse, not better, because he's more effectively reinforcing his dangerous worldview.
- @mcclure111 The real problem here is that you can't trust what you liked as a kid because kids have shitty taste. ↲
- @frank0127 Yeah, that's the first half of the revenge plot. You have to establish the character as bad so that it's okay to murder them. ↲
- @mcclure111 This is problematic. ↲
- It's incredibly important to realize that despite what a thousand hacky movies and game plots tell you, the Nazis weren't "evil."
- Nazis were the result of bureaucracy, a pathological cult of personality, and basic human tribalism.
- This sort of thing happens in every culture and on every scale, and how we perceive the events is almost entirely the lens of the historian.
- @AmyDentata That too, yeah. ↲
- @ePiMagnets History always ends happily. ↲
- @Kraznor Yeah, I thought that was an effective humanization. ↲
- @JMRomeo It's quite a striking design! The Nazis were extraordinarily effective propagandists. ↲
- @Kraznor By far. It's the only movie of his I can watch without feeling complicit in something gross. ↲
- @Problemachina It's weird looking back on decades of games going from abstract to photorealistic cannon fodder without anyone noticing. ↲
- @Problemachina Yeah, they understandably evolved in the direction of what's fun rather than what speaks to actual human behavior. ↲
- @Problemachina Realistic graphics are more "fun" for us as a culture. I feel this effect even as I grimace at myself for buying into it. ↲
- @Problemachina There is that effect, but it wouldn't be marketable if people didn't like it at some level. ↲
- @Problemachina If there was ever a time we could fully blame marketing for the effect, it was decades ago. The desire is now real per se. ↲
- @m_silverman en.wikipedia.org/... ↲
- @Problemachina Market forces will solve this particular problem before social ones can. AAA games are making less and less financial sense. ↲
- @Problemachina Right, yeah. ↲
- @m_silverman There's quite a difference between placing the blame on individual high-ranking officers versus everyone who wore the uniform. ↲
- @m_silverman An interesting thought experiment, though: if the Axis won, would the Enola Gay crew have been convicted, or just Harry Truman? ↲
- @m_silverman I absolutely think that had we lost the war, Hiroshima and Nagasaki would've been considered war crimes. ↲
- @m_silverman Because the attacks targeted civilians, specifically. Along with dozens of other plain old firebombings of Japanese cities.
- @m_silverman I agree with the distinction you're making for these cases. I'm making an analogy, not a one-to-one equality. ↲
- @m_silverman My point is that the human factors that converged to create the Holocaust are all universal. They exist in every culture. ↲
- @SpectraSwallow Nobody's yelling, there's just been reasonable discussion. It's possible that those who are most bothered aren't talking. ↲