|january 2013 microblog digest|
Posted 2013-02-12 05:52:56 by
Archived from http://twitter.com/mogwai_poet:
- I don't know how 2013 is going to top 2012, but we'll find out together!
- @hamptonus Yeah, so there's no need to even to establish evil via action, since it's already established by association. ↲
- Phil Fish on 2012: "I feel like i learned something, but i dont know exactly what it is. Keep your mouth shut maybe?" polytroncorporati...
- Also, news: Fez being ported to other platforms.
- @elfbarf Not specified! My guess is PS3 and Wii U. PC isn't *too* much of a stretch since XNA gives it to you basically for free. ↲
- @KayinNasaki He hasn't announced a PC port specifically yet. Let's not get too crazy here. ↲
- @KayinNasaki To be fair there's a big difference between "forcing" anything and just setting the terms under which you'll sell your product. ↲
- RT @jonginn Got my belated Christmas present from @enloquecerse and its the best thing ever. #frogfractions yfrog.com/h0tr6dv...
- @evilbadman Perv. ↲
- @KayinNasaki In all honesty I think "should be played in front of a TV" fits in perfectly with the rest of Fez's design ethos. ↲
- @KayinNasaki The extent to which Fez is successful is in large part dependent on how many people want to relive Phil Fish's childhood. ↲
- @frank0127 @KayinNasaki I know a guy who bought a 360 just to play Fez. He's annoyed now. ↲
- RT @mrasmus I don't usually RT myself because that shit's crazy, but this felt right. RT @mrasmus: @KayinNasaki @mogwai_poet TLDR FUCK VOLATILE MEMORY.
- Oh man, toast is totally baked twice. You bake it once and then you bake it again! I wonder what happens if you bake it a third time?
- RT @kenruze I tried frog fractions and hated it. then I tried frog fractions and loved it.
- @frank0127 TRYING THIS RIGHT NOW ↲
- @BobVFMontoya It's a great trick if you're ADD. Before Frog Fractions, the only games I had the attention span to finish building were tiny. ↲
- "A Muslim businessman detained at airports and borders more than 30 times since June has filed suit against the DHS." orlandosentinel.c...
- RT @textfiles Yes, Oracle, EVERY professional and established standard language wants to install the fucking ask.com... toolbar, just like java.
- RT @necrosofty Impressed that Goblet Grotto creator thacatamites crafted an intro email to me to look like insurance spam. That's doing indie weirdo right!
- I played Goblet Grotto for 30 seconds and lost. I don't know if the next 30 seconds'll hold up, but goddamn, what a great first 30 seconds.
- "Verizon Announces End of 900 Number Billing" blogs.imediaconne...
- @moaex Chapter select to the rescue! ↲
- @UndeadManWalkin Have you tried upgrading your video card? ↲
- @pklug @dasupa1 @BenPerLee Isn't ROM Check Fail already basically where Frog Fractions is heading? ↲
- @prryjcksn Here you go: frogfractions.ban... ↲
- @dasupa1 @pklug @BenPerLee I am talking about the game ROM Check Fail! ↲
- @prryjcksn No problem! Glad you're enjoying it. ↲
- @dasupa1 @pklug @BenPerLee I'm a little socialed out from New Years stuff, but ping me in a couple of weeks. ↲
- The word "with" seems to be freaking out the text-to-speech functionality on Google Translate. translate.google....
- @Kraznor Was fun. Thanks for having me! ↲
- @pheriannath @FinalFormGames To the extent that there is a story, it's here: indiegames.com/20... ↲
- @pheriannath @FinalFormGames But I've been friends with them for a while, with Tim specifically for a couple decades. ↲
- RT @raganwald Q: What is the difference between symbolism in literature and inside Simpsons jokes and memes? A: About a hundred years.
- RT @webbedspace Game where you're the coin inside a shell game and you have to guess your own position by watching the table texture move beneath you.
- @pheriannath Yeah, he is. I'm glad you're enjoying it! ↲
- Let's see how long this lasts! There are even citations, so clearly the author put some actual effort in. en.wikipedia.org/...
- This article posits that the crime surge of the 70s and 80s was caused by leaded gasoline. Remarkably convincing. motherjones.com/e...
- @TheZotmeister I'm pretty sure that argument doesn't play in Wikipedia deletion discussions. ↲
- @TomBurnsRogers Yeah, the end of the article argues for taking $20 billion a year out of law enforcement and putting it into soil cleanup. ↲
- @endrift Yeah, there are some legit cites. Ideally, throw in Giant Bomb's UOTY award and the mention in Game Developer I can't find anymore. ↲
- @coffee_dad How do you feel about espresso?
- @coffee_dad Do you feel like your son is at his eternal rest?
- So this is where we're at, as a civilization: partycity.com/pro...
- @hamptonus Is that the sound of a steam engine? ↲
- The Miserables: You only have 2.5 hours. How can you gut-punch your audience with literally every major human theme? Excise everything else.
- RT @mcclure111 @mogwai_poet I feel like this could work well as a card game.
- RT @ForneusLex @mogwai_poet We will have truly advanced when we see Sexy Bartholemew Salience at Party City.
- Countries that can least afford organic farming are most susceptible to the organic lobby, and people are starving. marklynas.org/201...
- @bombsfall I didn't look. In a good way or a bad way? ↲
- @bombsfall Science does that to some people. (On all sides of the political spectrum, as the article makes clear.) ↲
- @BenKuchera Do you feel it wasn't funny enough to justify the craziness? Or do you feel it'd've been funnier if it were less crazy? ↲
- @BenKuchera Oddly, I'm almost inclined to take "zany" as a diss per se; it says to me shoe-on-head banality rather than the truly unexpected ↲
- @BenKuchera Yeah, that's fair. If the comedy doesn't work for you, it doesn't work, and the gameplay certainly doesn't hold up on its own. ↲
- @fiddlecub The funny thing is, I *had* a tutorial for a while. Eventually @westquote gave me the kick in the head I needed to get rid of it. ↲
- @BenKuchera Sure. I'll DM you my address. ↲
- @fiddlecub @westquote Exactly. It was blindingly obvious -- after he brought up the issue. ↲
- @fiddlecub Yeah, that sounds like fun! ↲
- @SodaDrinkerPro Thanks! ↲
- @MoviusC I hope it was enlightening! ↲
- @ryan_c_ford Not *too* intoxicating, I hope! I've seen screenshots of extended Futilitris sessions and I cringe :) ↲
- Quite the IGF nominee lineup this year. Frog Fractions got a Nuovo honorable mention! igf.com/2013/01/2...
- @Vanther Thanks! ↲
- @Gangles Thanks! ↲
- "18 Astounding Hubble Photos Released In 2012" buzzfeed.com/donn...
- @mcclure111 Thanks! ↲
- @mrasmus Thanks! ↲
- @frank0127 I don't know if honorable mentions count! But if Valve is interested, I'm almost obligated to make Frog Fractions HD. ↲
- @GamerHorizon Thanks! I'll check it out. ↲
- @radiatoryang @JohnPolson I'm pretty sure if it has funding it's technically called a "hackathon." ↲
- Giant squid caught on film. phys.org/news/201...
- @RVGSymphony @frank0127 One day! ↲
- RT @MarkDoesStuff If you think you read today's review of the game Frog Fractions, you didn't. There's a 2nd review in the comments. markplays.net/rev...
- @IAmNidoking @MarkDoesStuff That was a fun read :) ↲
- @ShanghaiSix I'm for it. Phone, skype, email? ↲
- RT @DeadlyRedCube @bengrue It shows. The part where you futilely stick your tongue out really displays the depth of pain felt at being human. You nailed it.
- @RVGSymphony @frank0127 With Andre Felipe as a playable character. ↲
- @ShanghaiSix Sent! ↲
- "Every day a PHP script picks a random spot on the land mass of Earth. The nearest photo to that spot is posted here." stochasticplanet....
- "In an instant, an entire Chadian squad of rangers was cut down with alarming precision by elephant poachers." nytimes.com/2013/...
- @UntoldEnt Yes. Most people seem to throw in for games to the tune of $20, and it's crazy to expect a physical reward at that tier. ↲
- @UntoldEnt You probably should create e.g. a shirt for $100 and up. But sending out rewards below that tier, you're basically losing money. ↲
- @UntoldEnt Shipping out physical rewards, I should specify.
- This is what being a drone pilot does to you. spiegel.de/intern...
- SMBC would feel more honest if they replaced their "web comic" with a "daily essay." I'd read it. (I already read it.) smbc-comics.com/i...
- @BlergGames It's true, all mathematicians have to be smartasses. ↲
- Tommy Refenes writes on how to get started programming games, including a good breakdown of the development workflow. gamasutra.com/blo...
- @hamptonus Right, I guess that's like how people circulate screenshots of forum posts, because no medium does better on Reddit than "image"? ↲
- @hamptonus Yeah, and it has a certain promise of being quickly consumable -- images *can* be unexpectedly super long, but rarely are. ↲
- @niklassintorn I got pretty much that from Google Translate, but thanks :) ↲
- @niklassintorn You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it. ↲
- @Wiswell The work that @westquote compared Frog Fractions to was Vonnegut's "Cat's Cradle." There's definitely something to the comparison. ↲
- @Wiswell But I don't think there are as many interesting things left to do with novels, because it's so well-explored as a form. ↲
- @Wiswell Which is to say: it's now easier to just tell a good story than it is to come up with an interesting new stylistic experiment. ↲
- @Wiswell In contrast, making Frog Fractions interesting was way easier than making it traditionally "good" would've been. ↲
- RT @shit_hn_says If you have to make a mental effort to avoid the M&Ms when you pass the kitchen, that diminishes your productivity for the rest of the day
- Listener poll: who would you rather see as a playable character in Frog Fractions HD? A. Andre Felipe. B. Andre Felipe Felipe.
- RT @TomBurnsRogers @mogwai_poet I'd rather see a create-a-Felipe feature.
- When you adhere autistically strictly to your own moral code in fiction, you're Javert or Rorschach. In real life you're Fred Phelps.
- @RealReimu twinbeard.com/456... ↲
- @RealReimu The last Frog-based flash game you'll ever need: kongregate.com/ga... ↲
- This is basically exactly where I was 5 years ago. In some respects I've moved on, and in some respects I haven't. thehairpin.com/20...
- I know people who are still there. I could offer advice, but I honestly I can't even be sure it's affecting them because we avoid the topic.
- Nobody ever talks about it. Too uncomfortable. Ours is a virgin-shaming culture and virgin-rich subcultures avoid the topic at all costs.
- @geardrops That's step one. Step two is dating a girl for four months without ever touching her, since you're afraid to overstep boundaries. ↲
- @geardrops (Step three is acknowledging you'll never be able to mindread and being willing to actually talk about feelings and desires.) ↲
- @geardrops Are we? They're two sides of the same coin, of not being able to read people. ↲
- Protip: the more I learn about dating, the happier I am I started in my twenties rather than my teens. Do you *remember* teenagers? Jesus.
- @geardrops Yeah, that's fair. It's a problem. My point is, the article is about the new problem that happens once you solve that one. ↲
- @geardrops Huh, okay, that's new to me. I've never witnessed that one, and only heard about it in exaggerations. ↲
- @Mixailovich I don't suppose you live in a place where OkCupid has a decent user base? It's basically flirting-for-aspies. ↲
- @geardrops Agreed, yeah. ↲
- @Mixailovich You get a lot of hard data about potential partners, and communication is less risky because you do it via email. ↲
- @Mixailovich You still have to learn how to behave in real life, but you at least have a date as a starting point by the time you get there. ↲
- @Mixailovich If that works for you, great! I've found that having the shared starting point of romantic interest is a big help, though. ↲
- @ForneusLex @geardrops I donno. Thinking of myself as having mild ASD informs my life decisions. I think it's helpful to be aware of it. ↲
- @Mixailovich In that case, pick hobbies with good gender ratios and practice your social skills early and often! ↲
- @ForneusLex @geardrops Agreed. But the essay is refuting the idea of self-diagnosing per se. (Which, to be clear, is what I'm doing.) ↲
- @ForneusLex @geardrops I think I'm just not social enough to have observed it happening. ↲
- @registradus @ratsoalbion @GhostWorld80 @caneandrinse hey guys what's going on in this thread ↲
- @Triplefox Right, and that possibility is why I'm willing to ignore when I see someone I suspect is lonely and just not talking about it. ↲
- @ratsoalbion @registradus @GhostWorld80 @caneandrinse Yes. Email me? ↲
- @Satchamobob @geardrops @ForneusLex In my experience being conscious and explicit is never a bad idea long term, even if it sucks right now. ↲
- @hamptonus o/ ↲
- RT @the_dudefather @bradshoemaker What if EVERY videogame had a Frog Fractions twist, but we haven't discovered them yet? What lies under the screen in COD?
- @TheZotmeister It really is not the norm. It's also not often discussed, which makes it seem even less the norm than it's already not. ↲
- @TheZotmeister I think the series is a helpful step towards "look, virgins are people too!" ↲
- The etiquette isn't in place yet for ending video calls. Endless series of acknowledgements as both sides fumble for the "hang up" button.
- @UndeadManWalkin Really, you just hang up, like in sitcoms? ↲
- @2plus2isjoe I'd love to do that. I'm more likely to start with a native-PC remake, though. ↲
- @frank0127 Man, it's so simple. I want to hang up on everybody early and often now, just to practice. ↲
- @UndeadManWalkin Yeah, it's totally a thing! youtube.com/watch... ↲
- Interfaces, ladies and gentlemen. 25.media.tumblr.c...
- @YouOldSoAndSo I never got a chance to mess around with that much. Was the "pet" button right next to the "dismiss forever" button? ↲
- RT @Michipoo18 @phneri Go! Go! Foreign Emissary from Frog Fractions is now my ring tone :D @mogwai_poet
- @Michipoo18 @phneri Awesome :) ↲
- @YouOldSoAndSo I can see where the designers were coming from. If you can't punch anybody, is it *really* a video game? ↲
- RT @ShanghaiSix Just interviewed #FrogFractions creator Jim Crafword (@mogwaipoet) for @FrontTowardsGmr Radio 149! It was as nuts as you'd expect :)
- RT @ActualPerson084 BELOW THE LAKE'S SURFACE, SWAYING AMONG THE GLOW OF FREE IPADS, GHOSTLY CHILDREN SING "JOIN US!" HANDS REACHING FOR YOU. #NIGHTOFTHEFREEIPAD
- RT @quinnnorton My Aaron Swartz, whom I loved. quinnnorton.com/s... @aaronsw
- RT @neilyourself Q. What do you say to an honest horse? A. "I appreciate your canter" Q. What do you say to a dishonest horse? A. "You Fucking liar horse"
- RT @TronKnotts Here's where you can watch Frog Fraction's @mogwai_poet and me talk in a few hours. Gotta go buy wife pants first! destructoid.com/s...
- RT @Kantye_West Happiness is not an ideal of reason but of imagination, therefore,if you cannot afford a car, you can always name your daughter A-lexis..
- RT @Kantye_West Yo, we at war with terrorism, racism but most of all, we at war with being able to systematically explore the inherent limits of our reason
- @mkkmypet @TronKnotts Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. ↲
- RT @weefz @chrisoregan This was my favourite moment of Frog Fractions: twitpic.com/buy87...
- @Killermime93 Thanks! I think Pythagoras made important strides towards the understanding that fractions don't cover all possible numbers. ↲
- The livestreamed interview-thingy I did with Jonathan Holmes is up on Youtube now: youtube.com/watch...
- @Vermando @hamptonus @mogwai_poet Yeah, I think that's a thing everybody goes through. en.wikipedia.org/... ↲
- @Vermando @hamptonus Hrm, how did I end up addressing myself there?
- @RVGSymphony The best way to work! ↲
- Tired of inducing vomiting manually? Drain your stomach using medical science instead! aspirebariatrics....
- @Vanther I hadn't bothered to check until you asked, but, it seems like it? medcitynews.com/2... ↲
- RT @specwill @mogwai_poet Great for Halloween: my Kuato costume will be able to drink and belch!
- @specwill Works if you have a colostomy too! ↲
- Levitation via acoustic standing waves. youtube.com/watch...
- @filipinomike As you should! ↲
- @manveerheir Wasn't that one of the side-effects of Olestra? ↲
- "The Aaron Swartz JSTOR liberator is a tiny bit of civil disobedience, presented to you in clicktivism form." aaronsw.archivete...
- You can go vote Frog Fractions in the JayIsGames end-of-year awards! (But you should probably vote for Dys4ia instead.) jayisgames.com/be...
- @kewlrats Yeah. Send me an email. ↲
- @manveerheir Our brightest economists have been trying for decades to figure out how to ship America's excess calories to starving nations. ↲
- @Vanther @manveerheir Hey hey, we were just talking about making people eat directly out of our assholes, and you gotta make it all gross. ↲
- Slideshow: "The 6 best dresses at the Golden Globes." theonion.com/arti...
- @RyanMarkel It works on my machine! ↲
- @RyanMarkel Hrm. I'm *pretty* sure I've tried Dvorak on a Mac, but I should double check. What version of Flash? ↲
- @RyanMarkel Okay, yeah, I'm pretty sure I didn't try Safari in Dvorak. I'll look into it, thanks! ↲
- @RyanMarkel And thanks :) ↲
- @RyanMarkel I use Dvorak so I care about this stuff too. I was just surprised! ↲
- @SnealIV @fiddlecub twinbeard.com/456... ↲
- @PyrionFlax A fun watch, thanks for making it! ↲
- Just spent a couple hours in the Gamespot/CBS Interactive offices, and not a single 3DS street pass. Shameful.
- Sophie Prell's story about Frog Fractions is up at Penny Arcade Report already. Man, those guys work fast. penny-arcade.com/...
- @bfod @rocketcatgames That reminds me: did anybody end up naming their child Turok? ↲
- @phubans Thanks! ↲
- RT @DidYouKnowWP #DidYouKnow that in the video game Frog Fractions, the player travels from a lily pad on Earth to Mars, where they... en.wikipedia.org/...
- @pattheflip All video games are like that, really. Frog Fractions moreso, is all. ↲
- Spoilers for the first three seconds of Looper: WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON WITH JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT'S FACE
- @TheZotmeister @hitRECordJoe Well, because it was a rhetorical question; I was only asking to express distaste at certain technical choices! ↲
- @YouOldSoAndSo As I recall, that does happen later, yeah. ↲
- @davidsgallant If only Rian Johnson had the prescience to start making this movie thirty years ago, this could all have been avoided. ↲
- RT @common_squirrel dig dig dig dig dig
- @vogon @antumbral 16 years in, CSS is still a mindfuck and compatibility nightmare; tables are still dead simple and work everywhere. ↲
- RT @vectorpoem If the internet has taught us anything today, it's that Sexism Is Over. reddit.com/r/TwoX... [starwipe]
- @vogon @antumbral I'd throw in to that Kickstarter. ↲
- @theonewhogrins The best events I've been to, street pass wise, have been Maker Faire and California Extreme. I hear PAX is good too. ↲
- @IvanDashSmith He was complaining (sort of) that he tends to be kindred spirits with all his guests, so maybe thinking alike is inevitable! ↲
- @IvanDashSmith Thanks! Yeah, it was fun talking to him. ↲
- "If you have a large enough codebase, any class of error that is syntactically legal probably exists there." altdevblogaday.co...
- @NathanLHammack I generally dislike ads, but most LPers just do it without asking and that doesn't really bother me? So I guess go ahead. ↲
- How do you enforce rules in the case where you have no evidence, but cheating is a statistical certainty? rjlipton.wordpres...
- @UndeadManWalkin I can only imagine. I guess making sure cheaters *appear* plausibly human is a win of some kind. ↲
- @WriterRyan I've been known to do that. ↲
- "Flump converts Flash keyframe animations into atlases and XML/JSON that can be easily integrated into a 2D engine." threerings.github...
- RT @fiddlecub GameSpot podcast! http://t.co/gyajX7QK. With me, Frog Fractions creator @mogwai_poet, @tommcshea, @carolynmichelle, and @THE_REAL_TYLERW.
- RT @bmau_ro You guys! Guess what twitter account was just registered? @nasagamejam. Guess what awesome thing is gonna get announced real soon? Excite.
- @daemonpants I think it's new. Newish, at least. ↲
- @davidsgallant But you don't have a solution either, right? :) ↲
- @davidsgallant Yeah. Also people will call you pretentious and steal your lunch money. ↲
- Apple takes an official stance on what games are permitted to do: "If you want to criticize a religion, write a book." venturebeat.com/2...
- "World's Best Alarm Clock Free ... 4 Snooze Coins $0.99" itunes.apple.com/...
- @ThierryNguyen It reminds me of the gym memberships that charge you more if you don't go. ↲
- @wavenger Now if only I could silence the voice in my own head telling me to just look at a walkthrough already. ↲
- Producer of "2 girls 1 cup" sent to prison. "That's the Academy Award I just won in there. That's an artist's dream." latimes.com/news/...
- Oh, apparently it's unrelated to 2 Girls 1 Cup. So, just a First Amendment story, not a First Amendment story with added memetic resonance.
- From the story: "It makes people think, 'What is art? Can art be gross?'" -- Apparently somebody hasn't heard of Piss Christ.
- @plantseeds @BenRuiz This is why I'm not a journalist. ↲
- Would-be Bay Area zombies, here's your big opportunity: docs.google.com/s...
- RT @carolynmichelle I celebrate myself, and sing myself, And what I assume you shall assume, For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you. -W.W.
- @plantseeds @BenRuiz Separated at birth?! wolfgnards.com/me... wolfgnards.com/me... ↲
- @IvanDashSmith I think the continuing to sell and promote his work was a factor in the sentencing, not the conviction. ↲
- @iamcarneiro @manveerheir Man, way to make me feel guilty for every retweet! ↲
- Yep, these are consistently amazing. "10 Brilliant Comedy Gems Hiding on YouTube"
- @RVGSymphony That was the first album of theirs that I heard. Still a favorite. ↲
- @Rokashi Thanks! ↲
- @_Brotha_Bear_ Thanks! ↲
- "Who are you going to call? The people who take care of the people who are kind of not really dead!" ug5films.tumblr.c...
- Escape from Tomorrow: "It is not possible that this film exists." hitfix.com/motion...
- @zhiwiller I know, right? ↲
- @TronKnotts Ogod, I forgot about the weird robo-eyed hell world that you enter via the docking stations. ↲
- "Losing My Religion," in a major key. vimeo.com/5768535...
- As you could've guessed, the deeply formative trauma of going to grade school lasts for the rest of your life. nymag.com/news/fe...
- "A post made by Facebook on your behalf is invisible to you, and only shows up in your friends' & family's news feed." forbes.com/sites/...
- As a personal aside, if you ever see me "liking" anything other than an individual person's post, comment or link, it's a mistake or a scam.
- @jakeinvaders Chapter select to the rescue! ↲
- RT @cartoonfuntime i literally don't believe any cartoonist who claims they never had a crush on some weird cartoon animal
- Gravity Rush does a stupendous job of making the act of flying through the air feel mundane and stultifying.
- An hour into the tutorial, and I'm still unsure how the flight controls work, because they only function when there's a prompt to use them.
- @thesporkwithin I admit, I've been spending a lot of time looking at my hand rather than the screen. ↲
- @phanboy_iv In all honesty I'd prefer to play the prototype of the falling mechanic than the "complete" game they fleshed it out into. ↲
- @Megalodactyl Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. ↲
- When there's no more room in fast food, unskilled labor will walk the earth. singularityhub.co...
- @mcclure111 I still hold that economics is a good idea, in moderation. ↲
- @LordAndrewToal That may be the closest we can come, short of nanotech, to repurposing all matter on earth into an enormous pleasure center. ↲
- @mcclure111 Hm. I think we *do* get that mindset. ↲
- @mcclure111 We definitely do get into the mindset that tools, esp. powerful tools that have served us well, are "good." ↲
- It's okay, all those unskilled laborers who were replaced by machines? We've still got an honest day's work for them: blakefallconroy.c...
- Leon Cox's interview with me is up over at Cane and Rinse. caneandrinse.com/...
- @pickassoreborn Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. ↲
- "The Skewed, Anamorphic Sculptures and Engineered Illusions of Jonty Hurwitz" thisiscolossal.co...
- If I'd known it'd go like this, I'd've offered a couple bucks to take control of Vigil and fix the art in Darksiders. joystiq.com/2013/...
- Step one of fixing Darksiders: hire this art director. siliconera.com/20... d'aww, look at the widdle screenshots. look at 'em d'aww
- @monstersden Look, another dead baby with huge shoulders! ↲
- @CodeSavage It's okay, headhunting people from Nintendo is notoriously difficult. ↲
- @CodeSavage Here's me being a hypocrite: I made Frog Fractions in part to make the point that you can't judge a game by the first 30 seconds ↲
- @CodeSavage and yet I totally decided I hated Darksiders within 30 seconds of starting it. ↲
- "All trials past and present should be registered, and the full methods and the results reported." alltrials.net/...
- Photo set: fighting the Chicago fire in sub-zero temperatures. buzzfeed.com/elli...
- @wavenger i.chzbgr.com/comp... ↲
- @registradus @ratsoalbion adamcadre.ac/if/p... and http://t.co/3dncaoxc, in that order. ↲
- @reutunes Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. ↲
- RT @neilyourself Cool undocumented feature: Apparently when you're born, if your reflexes are good, you have a brief 80-year window to not be a piece of shit
- @TronKnotts Hm, I can't see the video. Is it just the same video conversation packaged in a new post? ↲
- Finally, a form of gamification everybody can get behind: guardian.co.uk/th...
- Got to #ggjsf late, but not too late to make games!
- @carolynmichelle I wonder if you're sick due to some super-specific mineral deficiency that your body only knows one way to fill. ↲
- "Sometimes magic is just someone spending more time on something than anyone else might reasonably expect." esquire.com/featu...
- @carolynmichelle There's *something* in there, anyway. A stopped clock is right twice a day! ↲
- RT @stevenkaas You are not the king of your brain. You are the creepy guy standing next to the king going "a most judicious choice, sire".
- @GuardianKnux I pity those trying to sleep at the jam space. ↲
- CBS/CNET is setting the bar right now for what degree of editorial interference in news that the public will accept. theverge.com/2013...
- @GuardianKnux Mmrph... sorry, did you say something? I haven't had my coffee yet. ↲
- @mcclure111 Stress-free boycott! You already weren't using it, so the hard part's done; now you just tell people why at cocktail parties. ↲
- @mcclure111 Was that self-funded or did you get an NEA grant? ↲
- @mcclure111 You know, I'm pretty sure it's possible to create an album on Bandcamp with no songs on it. ↲
- @BenKuchera I'd say that sort of flow comes from playing a fixed level repeatedly until you've got it cold. Guitar Hero, Stuntman, Ikaruga. ↲
- Probably the sanest possible response to your work being used without being compensated, credited, or contacted. jonathancoulton.c...
- (Also, Fox's lawyers finally got in touch with him about that, to tell him that he should be happy about the exposure.) jonathancoulton.c...
- RT @FrontTowardsGmr Frog Fractions Jim Crawford: Front Towards Gamer Radio, Episode 148 fronttowardsgamer... @FrontTowardsGmr
- @GuardianKnux What are you working on? I'm over by the bagels making the failed-marriage dating sim if you want to say hi. ↲
- @RockLeeSmile I think the reason people don't worry more about this is that we have an extraordinarily effective plan B: piracy. ↲
- @manveerheir That's only a failure if the game failed to also make you *want* to do it. ↲
- @manveerheir Right, yes. ↲
- @phubans But... it *is* DiGiorno. More than anything. I can't think of anything it is more than it's DiGiorno. ↲
- This project is overambitious *and* hard to simplify; nearly every feature is a core feature. New game jam, new game jam mistake! #ggjsf
- @xMattieBrice sivers.org/my-fau... ↲
- @xMattieBrice Agreed. But it's a useful one, in that it frames every problem in terms of solutions that are within your power to enact. ↲
- @cellphonegaming *Now* I do. Thanks! ↲
- public class CatBath extends FlxState #ggjsf
- @dougwillsaveus Jinx! ↲
- "The normalisation of torture in Zero Dark Thirty is a sign of the moral vacuum we are gradually approaching." guardian.co.uk/co...
- The first comment says "it's just a film." First time I've seen that defense used for something other than video games.
- RT @jonnysun if you teache a parrot to say "parrot" then is that p much the same thing as owneing a pokemon
- @dougwillsaveus @mrfb Oh man, speaking of, is there coffee today or should I grab something on the way? ↲
- @Kraznor Matt Taibbi addresses that specifically in his similar essay: rollingstone.com/... -- It was probably a mistake for ?i?ek not to. ↲
- @Kraznor Hm, do you mean the tone springs to mind with respect to Zero Dark Thirty, or the hypothetical holocaust film? ↲
- @mrfb @dougwillsaveus ... hot water? ↲
- @Kraznor @exfauxsure It sounds like I should watch The Pianist. ↲
- @Kraznor We're gonna have a mostly-functional game! I had my doubts, I can tell you. ↲
- @Kraznor Chelsea just handed me a "pillow" badge for getting more than 12 hours of sleep during the jam. Gamification! ↲
- Proposed usage: "gamification" as a negative, "ludification" as a positive. C.f. "childish" and "childlike."
- Just got another badge, for having tweeted with the #ggjsf hash-tag. Pretty sure that falls on the "gamification" side.
- RT @dougwillsaveus Five hours to go. By a bizarre coincidence, that's the number of hours of energy I have in this bottle! #GGJSF #GGJ13
- RT @mrfb #GGJ13, day 3: The bagels are gone. We've resorted to entering our names into a database and calling rand() to see who we eat first. #ggjsf
- The adventures of Angel Summoner and the BMX Bandit! youtube.com/watch...
- Hm. Angel Summoner and the BMX bandit is basically the same joke as Futility Pong. twinbeard.com/125...
- @Marwood I've never watched regularly but I've seen several bits I really liked. ↲
- @YouOldSoAndSo I really enjoyed that one, unironically. ↲
- @Marwood Thanks! Is Peep Show related? Same creators? ↲
- Our #ggjsf game is totally a game! It's even sort of the game we intended it to be.
- "A situation that is perfectly equal between men and women is perceived as being biased in favor of women." tecknow.tumblr.co...
- @macintux @silentbicycle Hm, what behavior are you seeing? ↲
- @macintux @silentbicycle Ah, yeah, the control scheme requires clicking and holding, versus just tapping. ↲
- @macintux @silentbicycle Yeah; I was deliberately skirting the discoverability line for effect, so an unexpected factor would tip it over. ↲
- Screenshots and description for our #ggjsf game here: globalgamejam.org...
- I spent all of Saturday implementing dating minigames. Now I really want to work on a Warioware-style minigame collection. #ggjsf
- RT @Vanther And also to @dougwillsaveus @mogwai_poet @tishes34 and @vahn16 for collaborating on our crazy, amazing game :D
- Whenver people talk about Hugh Jackman I hear the first two syllables and think they're going to say "Hugh Jass." #twitterconfessions
- RT @SelfAwareROOMBA Why do things happen?
- @Vanther @dougwillsaveus @Tishes34 @Vahn16 indiegames.com/20...
- Main takeaway fom Depression Comix: emotion can be way more detached from reality than my intuition would indicate. depressioncomix.t...
- Also, depression is a laff a minute.
- @mcclure111 Words kinda suck, huh? ↲
- @FirstThirtyMins Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. ↲
- The problem with every programming class: they're structured to teach a new language to people who can already code. prog21.dadgum.com...
- The author suggests teaching only the bare minimum to do interesting things, then focus on problem solving skills. It's a good idea.
- In the case of games, the bare minimum amount of programming necessary is no programming at all: kotaku.com/597953...
- @vogon Yeah, that's frustrating too. ↲
- @eeJonathan Yeah, that's the flip side of the problem. Everybody's trying to be both. ↲
- @mrasmus I also like Python as a first language. It's structured to let you use as little of it as necessary to get the job done. ↲
- @seecce Right, starting from an existing example makes a huge difference. ↲
- @geardrops @mrasmus BASIC gets a bad rap, but one feature it shares with Python is that you can build things in it with no unnecessary fuss. ↲
- @geardrops @ForneusLex @mrasmus Everyone who comes out of academia a coder went into it a coder. They have no fucking idea how to teach it. ↲
- @mrasmus @geardrops GOTO is absolutely the most basic, platonic ideal of a control flow mechanism. Only in practice is it a terrible idea. ↲
- @mrasmus @geardrops (Much like pointers, in C.) ↲
- @mrasmus @ForneusLex @geardrops Yeah, I do literally know one dude who learned to code in uni -- a got-motivated-to-teach-himself thing. ↲
- @Kraznor It's really hard to say. We had about 30 games and about half an hour allotted to try them out, so any given person only saw a few. ↲
- @Kraznor Probably the standout stuff for me was what the Sifteo teams were doing. ↲
- @Kraznor I can't find a useful link to any of them, but it's this *sort* of thing: youtube.com/watch... ↲
- @Kraznor I was on the </3 team: globalgamejam.org... -- Note that it's basically unplayable unless you have a dev nearby to explain it. ↲
- @Kraznor Well, it depends on your respective personalities. I believe we classified that activity as introverted/practical. ↲
- @SpaceDrakeCF I don't think the guy *has* a career. Isn't Forbes basically a blog host these days? ↲
- "The Numbers Are In: For-Profit Prisons Are Bad for Everybody" Now that that's settled, they're gonna go away, right? slog.thestranger....
- "It's hard to believe that she used to be that little girl [capable of subjective experiences] that I remember."
- RT @JohnCandyJr The concept of Dying would be a lot less depressing if we rebranded it to "Promoted to Skeleton."
- @seabeesrock Glad to hear it! ↲
- @codemastermm You puzzled the interface out well enough to win, that's pretty impressive :) ↲
- @codemastermm I made the minigames! The text was mostly written by @Vahn16. I see what you mean, though -- it does read sorta like my style. ↲
- @codemastermm He turns out to have been the guy who wrote up Frog Fractions for Rock Paper Shotgun, maybe because it read like his style :) ↲
- "Tortoise found alive in locked store room after thirty years" independent.co.uk...
- @cmuratori @S0phieH @Jonathan_Blow I read it as less of a plea to do better and more as venting about nonspecific frustrations. ↲
- @cmuratori @S0phieH @Jonathan_Blow Which is fine per se, but reads as passive-aggressive in a public forum. ↲
- @cmuratori @S0phieH @Jonathan_Blow The passive part is the nonspecificity. Name a game, or name an award. Don't just say "you guys suck." ↲
- @cmuratori @S0phieH @Jonathan_Blow And don't just say "you know what I'm talking about." Not if you're actually trying to convince people. ↲
- @cmuratori @S0phieH @Jonathan_Blow Again, just venting is fine; I have similar frustrations. But it isn't going to win any hearts and minds. ↲
- @Jonathan_Blow @cmuratori @S0phieH I totally understand! That doesn't make it any less passive-aggressive. ↲
- @Jonathan_Blow @cmuratori @S0phieH Yeah, that was my initial read. Your situation sounds really frustrating. Hope you're doing better soon. ↲
- @tom_forsyth @Jonathan_Blow This is a much better way to be concrete than my offhand suggestion to name a critically acclaimed bad game. ↲
- @tom_forsyth @Jonathan_Blow (So is making your own good games.) ↲
- Remember when you picked a major you liked and your career'd just sort itself out? I guess that was like 30 years ago? gawker.com/597957...
- @phubans You would not believe how many times I had to click to close that tab. ↲
- @phubans Judgement call? I think anyone who can be seen looking at random images at work could get away with it. It'd just be embarrassing. ↲
- RT @mcclure111 Top 3 in "mcc's twitter only" bracket are Super Hexagon, Frog Fractions, Dys4ia. You all have wonderful taste and I am so proud of you all.
- @JmacDotOrg Hm, I'm surprised anybody's still exposing the general public to listserv. It's been a while since every user was also a coder. ↲
- "How Video Games Fund Arms Manufacturers" eurogamer.net/art...
- "We definitely see sales of particular guns increase when they are featured in popular video games, such as Call of Duty."
- @CodeSavage My takeaway from that particular point is that video games *definitely* affect real-life gun-related decisions. ↲
- @S0phieH @cmuratori Please remove me from your newsletter. ↲
- @limbclock @S0phieH He's venting, a very human thing to do. Public figures in public forums can't afford to be human. ↲
- @limbclock Don't know what he said re Greenlight. But in general he's got intense opinions; isn't that exactly what we want out of artists? ↲
- @limbclock Maybe you should be making beer. Or games about beer. ↲
- @limbclock Ah, yeah, a lot of people were saying that. For most of them, their only experience with being "poor" was being children. ↲
- @limbclock "Just mow some lawns and save up your allowance for a few weeks!" ↲
- @limbclock You can have all the craftsmanship in the world, but if you don't have anything to say, your work will be sterile and lifeless. ↲
- @limbclock Alternatively, another good approach is to ask a question about what you should believe and make a work that will answer it. ↲