|march 2013 microblog digest|
Posted 2013-06-27 00:56:08 by
Archived from http://twitter.com/mogwai_poet:
- This recipe calls for me to leave the yeast alone with the sugar water for a while. I hope the yeast is having a good time.
- @LaboratoryGrey What if you're immersed in lukewarm sugar water? Have they tried that? ↲
- @IvanDashSmith They're hosting frequent jams at the Sifteo offices. Er, iIf you were local I'd suggest you show up! ↲
- @IvanDashSmith Right now it's more fun in theory than in practice, but I played some pretty great in-development software at the offices. ↲
- @mrfb ... then there's no need to stir! ↲
- @sound_joe I wanted Waltz Yeast :( ↲
- @LaboratoryGrey Well there's only one way to find out! ↲
- RT @geardrops .@fiskmeshi: I grew up with egg harps but never seen a cheese harp - Me: It's like an egg harp, but for cheese -@fiskmeshi: That makes sense
- Ok, how do I get FlashDevelop's autocomplete to prefer identifiers defined in my open project over ones in APIs I tried once and gave up on?
- "The Happy Godfather" youtube.com/watch?v...
- @singing_pigs In fact yes, but *good* help, not crappy help! ↲
- Sleeping giraffes. imgur.com/a/EiQ5t...
- So there's another phone book on the porch.
- I always assumed phone book delivery was part of the landline service, but I'm almost certain we don't have a landline.
- @IvanDashSmith Huh, is it a third party running it, then? Funded by the advertisers in the yellow pages maybe? ↲
- @Kraznor I feel bad recycling them so I just pretend they're not there. Eventually they go away by themselves, so I'm doing something right! ↲
- @AmyDentata That's the most sensical explanation I've heard so far. ↲
- @IcarusTyler I'll be pleased if ongoing phone book service turns out to be some eccentric billionaire's performance art project. ↲
- Making Coca-Cola: "Modern tool chains are so long and complex that they bind us into one people and one planet." medium.com/the-ingr...
- "HIV-Infected Infant Cured With Early Use of AIDS Drugs" bloomberg.com/news/...
- RT @NicholasGolden @mogwai_poet
"Thanks frog fractions.Thx to you we developed the skills necessary to figure out the complex math for the cure"
- The Minds Eye: in the future, whole movies will look like this! youtube.com/watch?v...
- @buzz_clik We can only hope! ↲
- @Lokno I wonder to what extent trapper keeper art is defined by its era? It looks to me like late 80s trapper keeper art specifically. ↲
- @vogon Did you try rewriting your code base in Haskell? ↲
- "What game design gems lurk in the unexplored nooks and crannies of the original 1996 Tomb Raider?" gamasutra.com/view/...
- The conundrum every Apache admin faces: dive into .htaccess *again*, or just decide that a certain degree of broken is acceptable thesedays?
- @biphenyl Along similar lines, I'm really enjoying @ellaguro's writeups of Wolfenstein 3D levels: ellaguro.blogspot.c... ↲
- @RandomOutput Yep, that was my conclusion too! At least for the time being. ↲
- RT @KestrelPi When will we see the Psychonauts Meat Circus of English literature?
- Queueing up to play your single-player game? Apparently the norm, now. rockpapershotgun.co...
- Hey, Capitalism, we had a deal. Companies compete to give us what we want; we give the best competitor our money. Isn't that how it works?
- @dmmfix Complete consumer silence is always the most effective strategy against corporate overreach. ↲
- @dmmfix That would be ideal, yeah. Unfortunately, it's a lot easier to complain than to forgo the product you want. ↲
- @hamptonus Capitalism. ↲
- @dmmfix Yeah. The other side of it is that if you boycott SimCity, EA will interpret it as people being uninterested in city-building games. ↲
- Joss Whedon wants to make Dr. Horrible 2 soon. After the success of Avengers, I was afraid he'd be making Marvel sequels for 10 years solid.
- @Evean_ Yes, me and several talented artists and musicians. ↲
- @hamptonus Oh you must be looking for this guy en.wikipedia.org/wi... ↲
- @RVGSymphony That's a classy use of it! ↲
- @Evean_ Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it! ↲
- Sent this SMS to myself yesterday afternoon: "color blind bread." Thanks, past me, for communicating so clearly!
- An RPG where you vomit uncontrollably after each fight, losing 2d6 nutrition, until you build up your "murder desensitization" stat.
- @pattheflip It's got a ring to it! ↲
- @deliciousbees This is a confusion of what the facts are, not nomenclature. I've seen a lot of people saying "I'll wait for the crack." ↲
- SimCity doesn't have "harsh DRM"; it's online-only. When EA shuts down the servers on SimCity 2014's release, SimCity 2013 ceases to exist.
- @realnudel Oh, it totally is. Diablo 3 was the same way. People loved WoW even though it technically has the most oppressive DRM ever. ↲
- @c_sheridan @vogon Probably true. The Sims business model would likely be more lucrative here than the annualized model would be. ↲
- @vogon Will historians still be able to play Sims 2 in a hundred years? I'm pretty sure it's not fully online-only. ↲
- @realnudel Dark Souls does a lot of things right. I wish it were successful enough that companies looked to it as a model for what to do. ↲
- @vogon Hm! You've got me thinking about an elaboration on the "content-aware fill" algorithm, to recreate software using video footage. ↲
- @vogon Yeah! I bet someone's working on that very whitepaper right now. ↲
- The visual glitches in this Tomb Raider video start awesome, then even more awesome after the players try to fix it. pt.twitch.tv/giantb...
- Man, Tomb Raider seemed so not-dumb for like almost an hour and a half.
- @tablefloor Also feeling terrible about it while "HEADSHOT +20 XP" pop-ups cover the screen. ↲
- @pragmatism Hey, this review makes it sound not half bad. jonathancresswell.c... ↲
- @hamptonus Don't get me wrong; Tomb Raider is a couple big steps up from Dead Space 3. I'm probably going to actually finish it, e.g. ↲
- Found not one but two disemboweled cassette tapes on the sidewalk today.
- RT @necrosofty We just accidentally created the next @molyjam tonight while talking about how it's impossible @ja2ke @patrickklepek @chrisremo @doubleanna
- Enthusiast press, this is what your regular readers think of the quality of your work. pattheflip.tumblr.c...
- @Shaxster We do need them, but they barely exist. Most game news sites are effectively the extended PR arm of publishers. ↲
- @Space_Titanium I'd never thought about that! Are there local-language news sources? Do they just post translated press releases? :) ↲
- "For thousands of years man has been enjoying bread. This rye bread recipe will add to this ancient enjoyment."
I'm a part of history!
- Beat poet "Gam3 Report" tackles the subject of Frog Fractions. youtube.com/watch?v...
- If that's not enough for you, here's his take on "Minecraft Fallout." youtube.com/watch?v...
- RT @dresdencodak The Saturation Technique: where you fill a movie with nothing but one archetype. Ex: a cop movie where everyone is one week from retirement.
- @Heewa I think so? Either or both could be pure performance art or a genuine attempt at SEO, and I can't tell which is what. ↲
- After playing Super Hexagon in my head for months, I was shocked to discover that the actual game has button-based controls.
- The patterns humans impose on their environment: imgur.com/a/3fnWi...
- Power issue on BART; they're running the southbound train on the northbound line, and the northbound train on both lines. Makes, uh, sense?
- @G1Linus I know how I'd solve the problem in SimCity too: unleash Godzilla. ↲
- "A vast grid of crumbling roads, intended to lay out residential blocks, extends well beyond the developed city." maps.google.com/map...
- @IvanDashSmith Wait, don't forget about your child! ↲
- @frank0127 Somebody designed that layout and named all those streets. ↲
- F-Zero GX (Gamecube) found to contain the entirety of F-Zero AX (Arcade). retrocollect.com/Ne...
- @IvanDashSmith Oh, well that's convenient! ↲
- @frank0127 Yeah, or, like, Maniac Mansion hidden inside Day of the Tentacle! ↲
- @NoGasta Is *that* what the trains are made of? That actually explains a lot about my weekend. ↲
- "Beware of broken glass: the media's double standard for women at the top" theverge.com/2013/3...
- Gunpoint developer Tom Francis on running into the exact same story-in-game pitfalls that AAA developers do. youtube.com/watch?v...
- Er, oh. "A SimCity developer [told us] that engineering a single-player mode would require minimal effort." rockpapershotgun.co...
- Mike Mika's 3-year old daughter was annoyed that she couldn't play as the girl, so he fixed it. youtube.com/watch?v...
- RT @cmuratori If Google pulls this off and lets everyone in, they are automatically forgiven for being an ad revenue based company: google.com/patents/...
- Pick your favorite shark, and track its location. Go favorite shark go! sharks-ocearch.veri...
- You know what's awesome about the "product" model? Products continue existing. googlereader.blogsp...
- I'm really at a loss as to why anyone would risk starting to use any Google service at this point.
- @Marwood Same. The gmail address is by far the most entrenched one. I don't know what I'm gonna be able to do about that. ↲
- @IvanDashSmith Oh, you have a blog? In other circumstances I'd be pulling up Reader right now. ↲
- @Marwood What would you use instead, hypothetically speaking? ↲
- @Marwood Yeah, I can see the appeal. Control over your own fate is a magical thing. ↲
- Pro-tip: that subscriptions.xml file that Google Takeout gives you actually *is* OPML.
- @Bananattack Neurotypicals! Can't live with 'em; can't kill 'em. ↲
- So far, RSS Owl appears to be acceptable. rssowl.org/...
- @Bananattack I don't know if you are. Maybe "muggles" would be a less-loaded word. ↲
- @Bananattack Either way: when most people say "if P then Q," what they mean is "P, therefore Q." So that's what they think you mean, too. ↲
- @Reetesh I haven't really been paying attention to mobile options, so I can't really weigh in there. ↲
- @Bananattack I suspect the problem is that most people -- and probably the *same* most people -- have never worked with symbolic logic. ↲
- Shattered glass animal sculptures. thisiscolossal.com/...
- "SimCity Societies: flatlined online" -- And yet the game still, y'know, plays. It's still a game that exists.
- Symantec discovers earlier variation of Stuxnet. Weaponized malware is much older than we thought. wired.com/threatlev...
- You can tell Ben Kuchera contacted me about Sifteo development by email; my spoken word choices are never this good. penny-arcade.com/re...
- RT @leighalexander you don't really love games until your obsessive enthusiasm has strangled the market, traumatized newcomers and halted all maturation
- Speaking of interesting articles that involve me, Line Hollis writes about narrative via contextualized minigames: linehollis.com/2013...
- RT @Harvey1966 @BenKuchera Our drive for #Dishonored's highly mobile blink/jump, vertical movement, and improv problem solving was a love of older FPSs.
- RT @ExciteMike It is SUPER EASY to do accidental casual <various -isms>. You don't have to dig your heels in when folks notice. you can listen and improve
- "Never get angry in a tent. What are you supposed to do, zip up the flap real quick?" theatlantic.com/tec...
- Tigers on surfboards. tigersonsurfboards....
- RT @LineHollis How do I make my hair be cool hair
- RT @Random_Factor So far, Frog Fractions has been a better game about Sarah Kerrigan than Starcraft 2
- This stuff is pure gold. "what do you call a sandwitch with legs? bready legs" badkidsjokes.tumblr...
- @dmandreev What's your plan for getting the various interfaces to work on a touchscreen? ↲
- Kinder Eggs legally available in the United States! Now we can truly say we live in the land of the free. consumerist.com/201...
- @SpectraSwallow Yeah, huh, I guess it's a plastic rim for the capsule? Now I'm curious what it looks like inside. ↲
- For health reasons, Los Angeles reservoir covered in 400,000 black plastic balls. worldsamazinginform...
- The last three pictures: finally, the hard evidence we've been looking for that spheres and hexagons are the exact same shape.
- @vectorpoem Waterfowl elimination AND foam suppression? Can I get miniature ones to cover my glass of Coca Cola? ↲
- Literally every #LessInterestingVideoGames tweet would make a way more interesting game than "shoot dudes in the face for 8 hours."
- @zhiwiller Make it "Shoot Dudes in the Face for 2 Hours," and you've got my attention. ↲
- @SpectraSwallow I definitely want to know more. ↲
- @wesleyfenlon @jennatar People make games about both ninjas and politics already, so it's not even that much of a stretch! ↲
- All the sounds in Banjo Kazooie. youtube.com/watch?v...
- Seems like each "speaking voice" that took 10 to 15 samples in Frog Fractions, Banjo Kazooie did with two samples per, plus pitch shifting.
- RT @john_brindle I don't have the nerve to suggest a #LessInterestingVideogames game jam without having ever made a game myself, but, well
- "Uncomfortable enough yet?" "No, hang on..." twitter.com/mogwai_...
- RT @aliendovecote i see a lot of calls for female protagonists but not a lot of people picking up on existing media with female protagonists
- RT @aliendovecote god i hope next year Giant Faceless Corporation That Cares Only About Money will give me the empowered Kerrigan i deserve
- RT @aliendovecote crushed deeper into the muck, mud pouring into my nostrils and clogging my gurgling mouth-hole, i croak, "why dont u love me capitalism"
- @ForneusLex I just assumed Starfox wasn't even "synthesized" to the extent that Banjo Kazooie was. Isn't it just a sample? ↲
- @pragmatism No I haven't. This thing? klingbeil.com/spear... ↲
- RT @SophieJKL Are you or someone you know a transgender gamer? Shoot me an email, cuz I'd love to talk to you about it. =)
- @pragmatism Yeah? Does it have a synthesis engine in there too or do you just use it for analysis? ↲
- @pragmatism I've fiddled with Absynth without understanding it. What's the synth model? Is it really classical additive, summing harmonics? ↲
- @pragmatism I wouldn't have suspected spectral analysis would be useful to recreate a timbre in that interface. I'd like to watch you work. ↲
- New business model for vocational schooling: until you get a job, the school doesn't get paid. wired.com/business/...
- RT @thatsnotkosher ? Poooost Racial Society! Everyone's equal and no one is evil, cause it's a Poooost Racial Society ?
- Theme from my new sitcom
- @cellphonegaming They *were* lying like that long enough I was worried they'd grow together. ↲
- @germdisco I love the YouTube channel because it's just the knobs and the grunting with no context. ↲
- "The first time I openly laughed at a transgender person I was 12 years old." good.is/posts/how-i...
- Remember that EA-circa-2008 push to make new, interesting games? The market wasn't really into that I guess. #RiccitielloMemories
- @HaroldoNVU @Activision Then Kotick stopped being a supervillain in public and EA canceled Mirror's Edge 2 since it didn't have multiplayer. ↲
- @rodiard We sort of got a Mirror's Edge sequel, if you think of every FPS as Mirror's Edge with no platforming and improved shooting. ↲
- "CNN's Steubenville Coverage Matches 2011 'Onion' Athlete-Rape Parody Video" thoughtcatalog.com/...
- @Twotoetimmy @lancota @Teanah @MarcusWohlsen Nine 80 hour weeks -- 720 hours of practical experience -- and vetted before admittance as ↲
- @Twotoetimmy @lancota @Teanah @MarcusWohlsen having coding capability? I'd hire a thousand of those before looking at a traditional CS grad. ↲
- @Twotoetimmy @lancota @Teanah @MarcusWohlsen For an entry-level position, mind you. ↲
- @Twotoetimmy @lancota @Teanah @MarcusWohlsen $80k is high, but not crazy-high. No, it doesn't replace traditional education in general. ↲
- @Twotoetimmy @lancota @Teanah @MarcusWohlsen Twitter is constricted for this discussion, but remember that before a few decades ago college ↲
- @Twotoetimmy @lancota @Teanah @MarcusWohlsen education was unusual, and what we're doing *now* is a financial disaster. ↲
- @Twotoetimmy Yes, that's my main concern with the program too. 80 hour weeks establishes the expectation that 80 hour weeks are acceptable. ↲
- RT @spinooti If you follow me out of social obligation: I absolve you. You don't gotta. It's okay.
- "I Am Not Your Wife, Sister or Daughter. I Am A Person." bellejarblog.wordpr...
- @hamptonus The most realistic scenario is AAA will keep getting more entrenched and micro-nichey until it vanishes up its own ass. ↲
- @hamptonus After AAA is gone, we'll hopefully be able to acknowledge that the world moved on to broader models years ago. ↲
- Wait, the new Gears of War game is written by Tom Bissell? Okay, you've got my attention.
- @frank0127 Wow. Worst-written of that series is a feat. ↲
- The story behind the "golden eagle snatches kid" video hoax. buzzfeed.com/chriss...
- RT @EvanKaufman Is there a Smash Mouth cover band called Mash Smouth? Do we all want to start one? Email me at MashSmouth@Gmail.org
- It's always nice to be reminded: DudeBro archetypes aren't just a mindless default, but are deliberately cultivated. eurogamer.net/artic...
- @Space_Titanium They still do. We're just a market of over-18 children, now. ↲
- @limbclock Another game about combat? Count me in! ↲
- @limbclock Another game about kinetic navigation through puzzle spaces? Count me in! ↲
- RT @TheN4Us Ahahah the whole chat just convinced Floe that Frog Fractions is a screamer game and he's antsy about it.
- Should I expect wifi coverage at GDC? Wondering if I can get away with using this borrowed iPod to keep in touch with people via Twitter &c.
- @vogon Slow per se is totally acceptable for these purposes, but is this particular slow the same thing as continual disconnections? ↲
- @vonguard Hell, I should take the next few days to learn to use semaphore flags instead. ↲
- @radiatoryang Hm, where would I go for that? Googling for "pre-paid data sim" is scary. ↲
- New "A Life Well-Wasted" episode! One every three years sounds about right. alifewellwasted.com...
- @hbmuscat Okay, that sounds not too bad... ↲
- Stay angry at everyone all the time with this 1 weird old tip! Look at dumb Google projects and say: "this was more important than Reader."
- @hamptonus I gave up on every web RSS reader after they all got DDOS'd by all the Reader users trying them out. Should try again someday. ↲
- "Tomb Raider writer Rhianna Pratchett on why every kill can't be the first and why she hoped to make Lara Croft gay" killscreendaily.com...
- "Games, Apple says, are not the place for social commentary or criticism." pocketgamer.co.uk/r...
- RT @Jickle 'Luke, you have a sister.' 'Is it the one and only woman I know?' '....Yes.'
- "I think it's the first realistic, non-gratifying portrayal of violence against women that I've seen in video games." hellmode.com/2013/0...
- RT @leighalexander people really get offended if you imply the system that is benefiting them at the expense of others may be flawed
- RT @mcclure111 Most promising OKCupid profile ever? i.imgur.com/3GJ0Fqv...
- "Rock Band's final song will be Don McLean's 'American Pie'" polygon.com/2013/3/...
- RT @yerdua "Make Consent a Mandatory Part of Sex-Ed in Public Schools" petitions.whitehous...
- Trying to jam my thoughts on this into 140 characters, but it's not happening. Just read the damn thing. buzzfeed.com/courtn...
- I think this is less a feminism issue specifically and more generally about how certain demographics are much more hurtable via text, maybe?
- (If you want to engage me on this, send me a goddamn email or IM or something. Don't make me try to fit my brain into this tiny text field.)
- @Vanther Yeah, I kinda do mean that. ↲
- @AmyDentata It usually is :/ ↲
- @IvanDashSmith Virt's doing the music, right? Everything's gonna be *fine*. ↲
- RT @KryptonGirl You fucking nerds. Stop voting EA "Worst Company in America" when people literally die because of health insurance companies.
- "Doubts about Johns Hopkins research have gone unanswered" after suicide of the allegedly fraudulent paper's author. washingtonpost.com/...
- "Deceased respondents no longer pose a risk." And nobody else is going to feel the systemic pressure that led him to that course of action.
- RT @VOOOLN DIED ON THE FIRST PAGE? THIS GAME IS TOO HARD twitpic.com/ccbrdh... #starwench
- Water oscillating at your frame rate. youtube.com/watch?v...
- @IvanDashSmith Hm, yeah, that would help. I guess the cat didn't want to stick around. ↲
- The Fuckzone: "Men aren't a vending machine you put sex coins into and expect commitment to fall out." xojane.com/sex/fuck...
- @beatonthematt lostlevels.net/... is probably your best bet for that kind of content. I'm not a speaker, but I'll be in attendance. ↲
- Finally starting to plan my GDC schedule. Who wants to meet up? Get in touch now; I won't have reliable Internet at the conference.
- RT @ivanassen Came across this before, but only now I realized it is a metaphore for code quality vs what the users get to play: api.ning.com/files/...
- Man, the saddest thing about my 3DS getting lost and/or stolen is that I won't have the opportunity to street pass with everyone at GDC.
- Trailer for The Fullbright Company's "Gone Home." This is a thing that games can be. youtube.com/watch?v...
- Just picked up my GDC badge and bag of ads.
- @vogon You mean a picture of one? They had a pen and a Unity pin; that's all in terms of actual physical stuff. ↲
- Man, GDC hasn't even started yet and I'm already socially destroyed. What have I gotten myself into?
- @esdin I hung out with a bunch of people for a few hours! Risks of being an introvert. ↲
- @esdin On it :) ↲
- @fullbright Wanted to tell you at the Indie Biz party: that trailer reminded me how ashamed I am that my current project has guns in it. ↲
- @dannyBstyle @JordanFehr @C418 @grantkirkhope @xlson @christinelove @aliendovecote @zusty @koalaparty @johnnemann Was great meeting you all!
- @fullbright Thanks, I'll do what I can :) ↲
- @zusty @fullbright You're right, of course, this is just me feeling guilty for not doing more to upset the status quo. ↲
- Meeting too many awesome people each day; staying up too late to recharge. I think I can make it to Friday alive.
- @sneakymode @dannyBstyle Did you try learning things! ↲
- RT @edclef Theres no greater counter to intelligent design than this: Teeth are made for cutting food, eg meat. The inside of the mouth is made of meat
- @johnpassfield @cratesmith I'll be at IGS talks most of today. ↲
- @cellphonegaming More often than not Frog Fractions is the *cause* of meeting too many awesome people. ↲
- @MikeVentron @xlson Yeah, middle back. ↲
- @MikeVentron Olive jacket, ponytail, 3rd row from the back, 5th seat from the right. ↲
- "Starfox lesson #2: Build ideas, then destroy them to find better ideas hiding in the shadows."
- @rachel_sala What about Follow Friday? Final Fantasy? ↲
- @YouOldSoAndSo The example he gave was going from free-roaming to linear flight in the design of Starfox. ↲
- @manveerheir Where in the room are you? You want to meet up afterwards? ↲
- @manveerheir I'll look for you after the postmortem. ↲
- @manveerheir Will do! ↲
- RT @infinite_ammo Histograms = egalitarian leaderboards #igs
- @YouOldSoAndSo Dylan Cuthbert ↲
- RT @rupazero "Halo is not a game about having pretty guns. It's a game about shooting aliens. Yet shooting aliens doesn't change. It just gets prettier."
- Arranging people in fixed locations at a purportedly social event is criminally stupid. Oh, look at all the awesome people I can't talk to.
- I guess I'll keep talking to the two people close enough to hear (two also awesome people, to be fair) over the room noise.
- @KayinNasaki Yeah, but at least at most parties you can walk around and change the people you're next to. ↲
- @KayinNasaki @bfod Yeah. I'm working on it. After GDC I plan to hide in a cave for a month. For now, talking to everyone all the time. ↲
- @rachel_sala Everyone's dressed casual. ↲
- @rachel_sala Jeans. ↲
- @LivelyIvy Hope you're doing okay after the beef incident :/
- @monstersden Good to meet you too! ↲
- Man, releasing Bioshock Infinite during GDC is just cruel.
- Michael Brough: "People talking about Frog Fractions -- not the game itself, but people talking about it -- was the inspiration for Corrypt"
- Just meet the guy whose fault it was that the QTE prompts showed up underneath the subtitles in Tomb Raider.
- Wall graffiti in the Oculus Rift line. twitter.com/mogwai_...
- @smestorp Sorry, that part didn't fit in the tweet :) ↲
- RT @m_kopas So @mogwai_poet 's card wins the most moddable award twitter.com/m_kopas...
- IGF/GDC award ceremony is LOUD AS FUCK. Good thing I've learned to always carry earplugs with me.
- Video games!
- I didn't think I was going to the Venus Patrol party but here I am at the Venus Patrol party.
- Waited in line 90 mins to check out Oculus Rift but didn't have time to queue up for Tenya Wanya Teens. Not sure if I got the better deal.
- @pohungchen Good to meet you! ↲
- @KommanderKlobb Luck into it I guess, because I'm not gonna check twitter for the rest of the night. ↲
- @fullbright @hengineer @katylevinson
@Seagaia2 Was great meeting you all today!
- Game writers: Richard Hofmeier is THE story this GDC. Game dev has serious diversity issues; the worst is that we're all middle class nerds.
- Richard Hofmeier decided that sincee he won IGF he didn't need any more press, and is giving it to Porpentine. twitter.com/mogwai_...
- I'm gonna miss most of these Lost Levels talks because I foolishly scheduled a meeting. I hope people are filming these for the GDC Unvault.
- I guess I'm talking at the Lost Levels Unconference?
- @driph Will do! ↲
- @bengrue @ctplante I don't know! I'll try to coax a business card out of him tomorrow, but he seems like the kind of guy who won't have one. ↲
- @Local_Single Or at least play Cart Life.
- @ChevyRay I talked to him earlier today, just the nicest guy. ↲
- @dualhammers He grew up working-class. It's pretty evident from his games and his demeanor, but I asked him to make sure :) ↲
- @cellphonegaming Was cool! But fairly low-res and still just a *little* too much latency. ↲
- @cellphonegaming Aww :) ↲
- Discovered today that @mcclure111 made that pair of "Many-Worlds Mario" videos that made the rounds five years ago. youtube.com/watch?v...
- @henkboom @mcclure111 Literally everyone in earshot simultaneously said "that was you??" ↲
- RT @mcclure111 @mogwai_poet @henkboom I wrote a really long blog post about it back then msm.runhello.com/p/...
- @mcclure111 @henkboom You did a cool thing that everybody liked! ↲
- RT @HunterFelt "Your third arrest, you to jail for life." "Why the third?" "Because in a game a guy gets three times to swing a stick at a ball."
- RT @ECONOMISTHULK HULK THINK NIMBYS ARE THE LUDDITES OF THE 21ST CENTURY. HULK SAY WEALTH COME FROM INCREASING ABUNDANCE, NOT FROM PRESERVING SCARCITY
- Favorite business card from GDC: imgur.com/Y0Pucmo...
- RT @AsherVo Taking a break from the IGF and putzing around the career pavilion. Waay higher % of women here. The industry's future is looking bright.
- RT @HilariousCow reddit.com/r/gaming... innocuous reddit post about z sorting gets over 500 karma. I don't know what reddit likes.
- @Teanah Aw, are you still in town? ↲
- @Teanah I don't think I'll be able to make it, but send me a DM next time you're in the Bay Area! ↲
- Wish I'd had more time to talk to @Sosowski. Definitely the coolest guy at GDC.
- (@dannyBstyle isn't allowed in the "coolest guy" competition because it wouldn't be fair.)
- @pohungchen @Sosowski Did you ever find out whether he's actually working on a new game, or if he just took a photo of a really pixely room? ↲
- RT @KrisLigman "Can games be for a human, and not just a capitalist death machine?" #GDC13
- RT @mgatland Reversible belts are cool right? "All units: Suspect is wearing a brown belt." "I can't see him anywhere. He's disappeared!" #superspy
- @Horse_Crimes They all say no. I'll try again next year. ↲
- @Horse_Crimes Tell everyone about it, probably. ↲
- The right-stick sensitivity on this 3rd-party controller is harshing my Bioshock Infinite experience. Same happened with Bioshock, actually.
- @dannyBstyle The viewers at home demand to see a dramatic competition! Don't worry, they understand the real truth. ↲
- @Reetesh If I were on PC I'd be using a mouse! ↲
- In Bioshock, I couldn't select weapons on the secondary cardinal directions because the stick didn't "go that far" in those directions.
- In Infinite, it's the opposite problem: I keep spontaneously looking up or down, presumably because of tiny ghost movements on the stick.
- If I turn down the look sensitivity enough, the problem goes away, but then it takes five seconds to turn around.
- Not sure if the lesson here should be to not use 3rd-party controllers, or to just play games on PC.
- @Johnicholas You can really go crazy with this. Deadzone size, velocity curve, rotation to correct for slightly misaligned thumbsticks... ↲
- @Johnicholas You see that sort of configurability in PC games but it's considered too complicated for console users. ↲
- RT @stevenkaas RELEASE THE... FIND SOMETHING MENACING TO PUT IN THE... BUILD A CAGE!
- @still That makes sense. Find out what's being dogfooded and duplicate it as closely as possible for the best experience. ↲
- I'm pretty sure nobody has the lung capacity to hold a note for that long at 20,000 feet.
- @Horse_Crimes Thanks :) I'm also still waiting for the first Mr. Hop erotic fan art if you want to take care of that too! ↲
- @chillocalypse Right, I can't. But yes, that's exactly what I want to do. ↲
- RT @vectorpoem Text of my @LOOOST_LEVELS microtalk: on tools, new voices, & the need for a modern Hypercard-like game creation tool pastebin.com/whHT5R...
- @daphaknee I, uh, forget what it was! ↲
- @daphaknee Maybe, what is it? ↲
- @daphaknee Oh, I remember what it was! It was a reminder to start a Glorious Trainwrecks mailing list and put me on it! ↲
- RT @russellhonor TSA congratulated me on the win after digging through my bags for the IGF trophy.
- RT @bfod "We did not hire dancers, we hired gamer-models to discuss gaming with invited guests" oh, that's so much better! >:( polygon.com/2013/3/...
- In my post-GDC fugue state, I decided to up the exhaustion ante by immediately attending Daniel Moore's 1-hour jam. twinbeard.com/536_a...
- ... and @rachel_sala suggests the name "Battle Ass" ten minutes too late. Maan!
- RT @bengrue @mogwai_poet I got bored saving the sheep, let the wolves win, killed them all... and now I am a vibrating donkey alone in this cold world.
- Can't-fail startup idea of the day: Memento Maury Povich
- @limbclock Ask me again in a couple of weeks. ↲
- "Ouyang Pain Management Specialist" would be a great name for a pro wrestler. yelp.com/biz_photos...
- OUYANG PAIN!! management