|april 2013 microblog digest|
Posted 2013-06-27 00:56:48 by
- PSA: It's asshole day again. Watch out for assholes.
- @limbclock "I'm feeling kind of depressed today." "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you feel better soon." "APRIL FOOLS! I'M FINE" ↲
- @limbclock You didn't. I probably misinterpreted what you said. I'm still tired from GDC. ↲
- @limbclock Also from being up until 4am for some reason. ↲
- RT @2bitarchitect @mogwai_poet when i saw this. made me think that there is still hope for real independence in this world which worships money
- Three days after GDC, still in recovery. So when's TIGJam?
- @cecilyismyruca Lately I've been mostly working in ActionScript 3 and C#, but I've got history in a bunch of languages. C, C++, Python, e.g. ↲
- How do you fix E.T. for the Atari 2600? Step 1: Read the manual. neocomputer.org/pro... (Step 2: hack the binary to patch a ton of bugs.)
- RT @Pentadact Even if you're the only butcher in town, don't call yourself The Butcher of Town Name, in case there's a massacre. #ButcherTips
- Wandering around a map, being one-shotted -- at full shields -- by snipers the size of a pixel. Bioshock Infinite, ladies and gentlemen!
- The winning strategy is to walk away. The snipers don't follow you or block you; they just goad you into wasting time trying to engage them.
- @Triplefox I didn't really care for Quake 3 either. ↲
- @robotno9 Me too. It's like the Infinite team looked at Far Cry and decided it was a good model to follow. ↲
- @mikethegratest Single-player. I don't think it even has a multiplayer mode, actually. ↲
- @Vanther Penalty-free respawns means nobody is ever bad at Bioshock! ↲
- @mikethegratest It's awesome except for the parts where you shoot a gun. ↲
- @Vanther Yeah, and there are technically things to buy, but they're so expensive, and death so common, that I assume I'll never afford them. ↲
- @LouisGorenfeld @Triplefox No quicksave in this game! ↲
- @AlphaB1tch I haven't seen it much outside retrogaming. But games from the 80s are pretty easily tweakable. wired.com/design/20... ↲
- @jyllish If Irrational was trying to teach the player a lesson about dealing with assholes in real life, I'm impressed. ↲
- RT @JazRignall No matter what, if one press of the escape key doesn't skip a cutscene, I still believe another 25 rapid presses might do the trick.
- Elizabeth seems really complacent about how I'm selling her into slavery. Oh, now she's freaking out and running away. Oh, she's fine again.
- Endless combat music while I search fruitlessly for guys to shoot. Barks from somewhere indistinct about how I'm a coward running away.
- @Ambivalist Some more than others. ↲
- @dustbusta I've got some ideas, but I'm sure they've thought about it more than either of us. It just feels like it was released unfinished. ↲
- @Ambivalist It is, but it's never stuck out at me so much that I've felt like it defined the experience, like it has in Bioshock. ↲
- @dustbusta Yeah, a number of games I've played recently have avoided that sort of problem with a locate-enemies interface. ↲
- @daemonpants If they'd taken the "not shooting things" theme and just run with it, I'd like the game a whole lot more. ↲
- @Ambivalist I agree. I wish the game could realistically have been about something else. ↲
- @rachel_sala I am really enjoying the parts where I look at pretty things. Those parts are great. ↲
- @ihaverottenguts @JazRignall Has any game given you a proper transport during cutscenes? Maybe one of the later Metal Gears? ↲
- @haydencd @rachel_sala Yes, and I'd apply that argument to every narrative-driven FPS. But I doubt you can get from this world to that one. ↲
- @haydencd @rachel_sala Make a Bioshock of pure narrative, no violence, and it'll still be one of those "video games" for gross man-children. ↲
- @haydencd @rachel_sala Sure, if you put the time in to think it through and say something interesting about it. ↲
- @haydencd @rachel_sala But making another game about how games are violent gets into pretty well-trodden territory at this point. ↲
- @rachel_sala @haydencd Because of the history of the medium, and the cultural perception of it. ↲
- @Ambivalist An adventure game, probably. ↲
- @Sosowski Definitely! If you're ever in the Bay Area let me know so we can grab dinner or something. ↲
- @smestorp @DrlemonWCGGG @Sosowski You'd only confuse things by learning to talk in a brogue. It'd be worth it. ↲
- RT @BriProv Fans want Nintendo to re-acquire Rare, but the original teams are long gone. That Rare no longer exists. Teams make great games, not IPs.
- RT @vectorpoem Be aware: [your favorite game studio] might be John Travolta walking around with Nick Cage's face sewn on. Brands are deathless deceptions.
- "When Women Wanted Sex Much More Than Men, And how the stereotype flipped." alternet.org/when-w...
- Apparently Behemoth's followup to Castle Crashers, "BattleBlock Theater," is out today? Did you know? I didn't know. en.wikipedia.org/wi...
- @rodiard Castle Crashers had really solid buzz! Makes me wonder if Behemoth just assumed Microsoft would do a good job this time around too? ↲
- @UndeadManWalkin I will be checking it out for sure! ↲
- RT @bfod In all seriousness though I would play Doom 4 if it had enforced permadeath and procedurally-generated or randomly shuffled areas.
- @rodiard Right! That whole thing. Summer of Arcade stopped being a thing I kept in my head sometime around Fruit Ninja Kinect, I think. ↲
- @Ambivalist Judging from the trailers, it's a co-op platformer? Basically my favorite genre, so it's even weirder that I hadn't heard of it. ↲
- @haydencd @rachel_sala I did think it was interesting, but while I was playing it I kept thinking "I wish we could try having other themes." ↲
- Starseed Pilgrim dev Droqen on "Breaking the Horizon" in games. Surprise players! No, like *really* surprise them. loseyourway.wordpre...
- @esdin I want to be playing that game right now. ↲
- @Ambivalist I heard there isn't a demo? I didn't even know you could do that on XBLA. ↲
- @geardrops Try SELECTing some stuff and if that doesn't work add some comma joins! ↲
- @geardrops Did you try recompiling the kernel? ↲
- @geardrops @nyorosys SECURE THE MIZZENMAST AND KEELHAUL THE BILGEPUMPS no seriously, what are you trying to get done? I've done mysql stuff. ↲
- @geardrops Sent a DM. ↲
- Talking about how I always react poorly to cameras seems to result in better photos than staring and looking awkward. instagram.com/p/XSq...
- Taking-pictures-of-Jim protip: take the photo before I realize I'm being photographed! I go from natural to awkwardly frozen pretty fast.
- @Reetesh That one's also pretty decent, yeah! ↲
- @patriciaxh @BigShellEvent I've wanted to make a game where you watch a girl through windows of her house and pretend to be interacting. ↲
- @patriciaxh @BigShellEvent Alternatively, a dating sim set in the Aliens vs. Predator universe, played completely straight. ↲
- Kirk Hamilton makes some promising observations about this year's GDC: kotaku.com/and-then...
- Roger Ebert passed away today. I would read his reviews of movies I couldn't care less about, just for the pleasure of the prose.
- Probably still my favorite Roger Ebert review, of Groundhog Day: rogerebert.suntimes...
- RT @necrosofty "If this new puzzle mechanic is not fun I am jumping off the roof" ~me, at 11:29 pm. game development!!! w/@mogwai_poet
- @pattheflip @randyzero @necrosofty We all knew what we were in for when we took the job. Game development is a dangerous business. ↲
- Best Ebert obituary: theonion.com/articl...
- @Ambivalist @ctplante Yeah, that sums it up pretty well. ↲
- GDC Vault goodies are starting to trickle out. Here's a Classic Postmortem for Myst: gamasutra.com/view/...
- William Wegman. "Man Ray Wearing Boots." twitter.com/mogwai_...
- Dan Cook, on trying to make broad-audience games in a company staffed top to bottom with hardcore Halo fans. plus.google.com/u/0...
- RT @AlexZiebart Google Trends graph for "menarche" marks the release of Bioshock Infinite i.imgur.com/P9bEwXC...
- "Ancient lines in the archaeological zone of Buenos Aires, in Nazca, have been destroyed by heavy machinery." peruthisweek.com/ne...
- @ellaguro @patriciaxh youtube.com/watch?v... ↲
- @ellaguro @patriciaxh (Trigger warning.) ↲
- @ellaguro Sorry. I'd *just* read your recent blog post too, so I should've had it in mind. ↲
- Richard Hofmeier on spirituality in games: gamechurch.com/seek...
- "Many who make games begin to live at the studio, the hours grow long, and they cease to grow as human beings." penny-arcade.com/re...
- JP LeBreton uses two decades of perspective to break down the lessons we haven't learned from Doom. vectorpoem.com/news...
- Great, I just jumped from 34 to 56 seconds on Hexagonest. *Just* enough to kill all possible incremental rewards between here and winning.
- @G1Linus That does not bode well! ↲
- @Fiftybottles Coming off of a half-hour-long adrenaline drip feed, a week-long break sounds pretty nice. ↲
- @protensity I believe it, esp. after seeing that the patterns stay the same. Just need to hit a streak without bad luck or a bad twitch. ↲
- @haydencd Sorry! ↲
- ha ha, new record: 59.44
- @KODNER Just "hardest" for me! ↲
- Game Developer magazine is shutting down. gamasutra.com/view/...
- Sit back and watch the master at work *cracks knuckles* i.imgur.com/dAtcCfH...
- However politely crests make LoL veterans behave, the game design that causes them to hate newbies so violently are still in full effect.
- If your teammates still want you to die in a fire and uninstall, does them not yelling at you about it *actually* make the situation better?
- Those replying "yes," it's clearly a *little* better. Real change would be making a game that genuinely doesn't make people hate each other.
- . @Vanther The tuning and pacing of MOBAs specifically is a huge factor. Here, listen to this starting around 6:30: idlethumbs.net/idle... ↲
- @hbmuscat Wish I could've seen it! Is there a writeup somewhere? ↲
- @hbmuscat Oh, I saw that! I'm curious how you'd compare Tank Tactics to e.g. Diplomacy or even Risk, games I consider similarly destructive. ↲
- Man, I should shut down *all* arguments by asking someone to listen to a podcast. Works every time!
- @mcclure111 Before you start bagging on L Ron Hubbard, you should really finish the "Mission Earth" series. Here's my Amazon affiliate link! ↲
- @mcclure111 A 40 hour game is investment basically equivalent to a hazing ritual. I guess they've never heard of effort justification bias? ↲
- @mrasmus If you haven't watched the whole first season of The Wire, I don't want to hear about it. ↲
- @ForneusLex @mrasmus Knuth *destroys* that argument in volume 7 of "The Art of Computer Programming." Don't tell me you haven't read it yet? ↲
- "BioShock Infinite wants to be taken seriously. So, let's take it at its word. Let's take it seriously." abc.net.au/arts/sto...
- @TronKnotts @IvanDashSmith One big difference for me since Bioshock is that I'm 6 years older and have less patience for games about murder. ↲
- @frequentbeef @CloneManga It does at least seem to take a stance on that topic. ↲
- @Adalore1 My bar for what counts as "art" is low. I call a lot of thematically-incoherent crap art. Bioshock Infinite is *definitely* art. ↲
- "If [Leia] didn't sleep with Han and Luke, there's no explanation for this shot." goodmenproject.com/...
- Good Men Project usually doesn't resort to printing pop culture gossip, so you know this must be totally legit.
- Flow is the core pleasure a good interface provides. When you disrupt flow, you deny your user a chance to be happy. en.wikipedia.org/wi...
- Good interface design can be measured in enabled flow. Bad interface design destroys flow with a thousand tiny irritations.
- When you ask a user for confirmation, you are denying flow. Robust undo is almost always the better choice.
- When you pop up an unexpected notice, you are denying flow. There are non-disruptive channels of communication you can use.
- When you take a second to animate a menu appearing rather than the menu appearing instantly, you are denying flow.
- These things can still all be good decisions -- well, maybe not the animated menu -- but when considering them, be aware of the cost.
- P.S. "Robust undo" means all the way back to the creation of the document, in 1992. Not since the last time you *loaded* the document.
- P.P.S. While I'm at it, if your application requires users to explicitly save, wake up and smell the fucking 90s.
- @NickCapozzoli @TronKnotts At some point we'll have to accept that now it just means "gay," the way "beg the question" has changed meanings. ↲
- @dannyBstyle Or just about every video game :( ↲
- @Teknobabel That's where "robust undo" comes in! ↲
- @Teknobabel But yes, they have to go together or else potential disaster. ↲
- @Lokno Yes, definitely. I'm still baffled as to why the browser forward button doesn't branch by default. ↲
- @NickCapozzoli @TronKnotts Uh oh, I'm only aware of one definition of "nonplussed." I wonder if it's the right one. ↲
- @RobThez 2013: the year of Linux on the desktop? ↲
- @realnudel If done well, I can imagine that being the case, yes. ↲
- @Teknobabel Well, when you hit "undo" in this scenario you're not meaning "undo save," you're meaning "undo the doodling I just typed." ↲
- @NickCapozzoli @TronKnotts Oh good, that's the one I know. So what's the other definition? ↲
- . @Marwood @dannyBstyle Well, notably, it makes sense to disrupt flow in a horror game specifically. You want your user to be uncomfortable. ↲
- @Marwood @dannyBstyle Microtransactions are the true horror. ↲
- @Teknobabel Understandable. I think Google Docs gets it right. No concept of overwriting or versions, just one continuous document history. ↲
- . @ThemsAllTook Google Docs gets it right. No "saving," "overwriting," "versions," or "having a file open." One continuous document history. ↲
- @vogon @ThemsAllTook Right, the "leaky abstraction." This doesn't mean abstraction isn't useful, but we can't always take it at face value. ↲
- @kevinlawler I'm glad to hear it! Yeah, seems like it's easier to get this stuff right on platforms that don't have traditional filesystems. ↲
- @cellphonegaming Seriously. Games are in large part *about* flow. It's a core concept that every designer should understand. ↲
- @vogon @ThemsAllTook Games almost never get autosave right. If they did, the "Unsaved progress will be lost!" warning wouldn't be needed. ↲
- "EA makes mediocre videogames, Bank of America committed mortgage fraud that has cost taxpayers billions of dollars." dorkly.com/article/...
- @rachel_sala Yes, except calling it autosave enshrines a distinction between RAM and disk. Google docs gets it right: your document just is. ↲
- @rachel_sala Just in this particular respect. I can't vouch for it in general. ↲
- @rachel_sala It was my personal experience! ↲
- @secondquest It's a fair criticism. I didn't really have one unifying message in mind, though there are many small ones sprinkled around. ↲
- @secondquest If there's any single message it's about the power of unguided, player-driven exploration and discovery. ↲
- @secondquest I think there's a strong case to be made for the idea that 90% of the game exists solely so that there's a secret to discover. ↲
- "The first level of Super Mario Bros. is easy with lexicographic ordering and time travel." youtube.com/watch?v...
- "An excerpt from the Young Adult novel I'm writing about Wikipedia vandal subculture" bphennessy.com/youn...
- So you know that secret game hidden inside Soda Drinker Pro? (I didn't.) There's a Kickstarter to elaborate on it. kickstarter.com/pro...
- @RandomOutput The jam build is here: twinbeard.com/binar... ↲
- RT @PlayMag_UK @RobThez @Crunch_King Frog Fractions transcends the earthly title of "game" and becomes something ethereal and deeply invasive. My soul.
- "Frog Fractions Speedrun (12:17 WORLD RECORD)" youtube.com/watch?v...
- I wonder if I'd be screwing over the Frog Fractions speed-running scene if I revealed the two word walkthrough to win the text adventure.
- @dannyBstyle ... that's going in the next patch. ↲
- @TheZotmeister For the rest of my life, I'm the guy who's supposed to know about every hilariously unexpected secret? I can live with this. ↲
- @dustbusta @Fengxii You could just use a regular walkthrough! ↲
- @mcclure111 Man, I hope nobody disassembles enough to see what a huge mess the engine became. ↲
- @Triplefox Good idea, I could switch to a timestretched 10-minute version of the DDR song. ↲
- @TheZotmeister I'll be waiting! ↲
- @Michipoo18 Awesome! I made it hoping that for everyone who hated being forced to play IF, there'd be a few who realized they enjoyed it. ↲
- @Michipoo18 I even have a couple games in mind to recommend people who want more. These: adamcadre.ac/if/pho... and eblong.com/zarf/zwe... ↲
- @Michipoo18 @phneri Those are z-code and will play in Frotz. Does iOS Frotz still have a fixed list of games or can you download any? ↲
- @EHinesPhD9 It'll be okay! You can go to a walkthrough if you want! ↲
- RT @weeatherhead The best way to read a poem is to pretend each line is the name of a horse; so the poem is just a list of horses
- Tom Chick on Metacritic, and on being the guy who ruins your Metacritic average. quartertothree.com/...
- Stacked escalator bits. twitter.com/mogwai_...
- I've lost track of how many times this iPod touch has warned me "20% battery" this charge. Has to be at least 10.
- @frank0127 Oddly, lately I've been seeing BART escalators being roped off as "out of order" when they look like perfectly functional stairs. ↲
- @frank0127 Yeah, I remember it :) ↲
- Really impressed by Battleblock Theater. Behemoth makes co-op puzzle platformer design look effortless.
- "A Kentucky judge recently ordered Whaley not to say 'bingo' for six months." imgur.com/6LBz25q...
- I think definitions are super interesting and not inherently excluding at all! This is probably a privilege thing again. Sorry about that.
- @MammonMachine Yeah, I believe that. ↲
- @KayinNasaki If you're talking about the Dinofarm guy, yeah, I see what you mean. ↲
- @ForneusLex @KayinNasaki I have a really hard time seeing the claim that games and int-fic are different mediums as a qualitative judgement. ↲
- @ForneusLex @KayinNasaki Wait, I *just* told myself I wasn't going to make that argument in public. ↲
- @ForneusLex @KayinNasaki Point taken. ↲
- @KayinNasaki @ForneusLex That's what makes them so interesting to try to define! ↲
- RT @K2theSwift Met Rachel Sala, one of the creators of Frog Fractions @init_together today. Small world!
- Okay, now that it's Monday and people are paying attention again maybe: go check out BattleBlock Theater! It is awesome co-op platforming.
- @BrianNumberOne Sweden is a sovereign nation, they can pass laws to call themselves whatever they want. Your cat is *definitely* a game. ↲
- @JohnPolson No. It's fully consistent in single-player, but in co-op they seem to try to spawn you near the other player instead? ↲
- @JohnPolson Yeah. I don't quite understand it either. ↲
- Is it safe yet to mention how weird it is that the last time Twitter was so unified in a topic of conversation, the topic was chicken wings?
- @TheAdamRippon Yeah, I mean unified in the sense of "everybody's talking about the same thing" ↲
- A music video constructed from the recorded mouse pointers of thousands of viewers: donottouch.org...
- @apadamson Ah, yeah, sorry! It didn't register for me because they were always covered by mouse pointers. ↲
- Sure! Put all possible outputs of this generator into a numbered list and you have a pretty decent dictionary entry. gamedefinitions.com...
- (Artdefinitions.com... is being squatted, unfortunately.)
- @celluloseman It's totally doable on the CPU nowadays. Didn't Bungie license a whole-mix compressor VST for Halo 3? ↲
- I don't know about you guys but paying a good journalist a good salary to do good work seems like a worthwhile idea to me.
- @icecreamjonsey Excellent! We should grab lunch. ↲
- RT @kezamacdonald Actually quite sad now that even the suggestion that games writers could earn a good salary seems so ludicrous.
- @vogon I didn't even notice that. It seems as tangential to the idea as the reality show part where we pick 5 writers but only pay one. ↲
- @celluloseman Nearly everyone I know who multiclassed programmer/musician has taken a crack at making a better CSound! (They all succeeded.) ↲
- @vogon Sure, okay, but what about the part where we pay a good journalist a good salary to do good work? ↲
- @vogon Did he even have criteria as such? I thought they were just journalists he liked. ↲
- @AmyDentata That's the problem this idea is supposed to fix, I'd argue! ↲
- "Things I Learned by Spending Five Thousand Years in an Alternate Universe" slatestarcodex.com/...
- @ChevyRay Or "industry." ↲
- . @prerisoft You're in a good place to make a game about being a barbarian from the perspective of a real barbarian. Like Depression Quest! ↲
- @terrycavanagh @figames That seems like a solid policy. ↲
- "Girl Scouts to introduce game developer badge" arstechnica.com/gam...
- Why can you vote against games on Greenlight? When you hate a game, does Valve lose money?
- @davidsgallant Ah, okay, that's smarter than I assumed. ↲
- RT @davidsgallant @mogwai_poet It just removes the game from your queue of games to see; no negative impact to the game's ranking.
- My life: two blocks after seeing a Sudoku puzzle soaking in a puddle, I have decide whether "puddzle" is worth going back to photograph it.
- Steve Jackson Games reskins "Zombie Dice" as "Trophy Buck"; cleans up in the Wal*Mart demographic. Abstract games! penny-arcade.com/re...
- @kasavin Some people treat Facebook friends the way Xbox Live users treat Xbox Live friends. It's a list of people to play games with. ↲
- Democracy in action: Congressmen and congressional staffers are now exempt from insider trading laws (again).
- @vogon Hrm, neither of these show up as anything in my browser. ↲
- "News is irrelevant. News has no explanatory power. News is toxic to your body. News increases cognitive errors." guardian.co.uk/medi...
- @dannyBstyle If you take the author's suggestion to read books and in-depth essays instead of just not reading at all, I'd say probably yes. ↲
- @dannyBstyle Yeah, he uses "news" to mean the flashy bite-sized kind of news, and calls out investigative news specifically as worthwhile. ↲
- @dannyBstyle He seems most bothered by journalists trying to tell a compelling story rather than conveying the most useful information. ↲
- @dannyBstyle Apes love stories because they give us data about the world, but we have better ways of getting data about the world thesedays. ↲
- @dannyBstyle I'd agree, but taking this on its own merits, it reads to me like a considered and well-justified opinion. ↲
- @dannyBstyle All journalism is moving in the direction of blogging, isn't it? Read everything, try to build a coherent picture in your head. ↲
- @dannyBstyle We've always had to read many sources to get a realistic model of the world. It's just harder to pretend otherwise thesedays. ↲
- @dannyBstyle It's going to happen. What really drove it home for me was looking at a Wikipedia troll's user page and seeing that he'd ... ↲
- @dannyBstyle ... edited the running times for hundreds of movies, changing them by a few minutes each. Nobody will ever double check that. ↲
- @dannyBstyle The best outcome honestly might be everyone realizing that they can't ever actually know for sure what's going on. ↲
- RT @somebodyweknow "A leaked memo from the Whitehouse Office of Legal Council (OLC) argues that love, under its interpretation of the AUMF, is a battlefield."
- "Bitcoins represent the sharpest ever refutation of the efficient-markets hypothesis." nationalinterest.or...
- @TomBurnsRogers I'm not sure if it does! I've been meaning to read up on the math. ↲
- I don't usually tweet about food, but this meal at the Little India Cafe in Sunnyvale is reminding me how awesome life is.
- @iphy Hah! It's weird, isn't it? I live in Berkeley. Visiting friends/family in the South Bay for the weekend and a couple of birthdays. ↲
- Does a short story written on a series of grave markers count as an epistolary mausoleum?
- @manveerheir And a huge difficulty spike. I could only finish it after a dude got stuck on stairs, delaying the start of the next wave. ↲
- . @Kraznor @exfauxsure If you can't make a game good, at least have the decency to make it easy. ↲
- @StephanHaldaman I think it must be. ↲
- @exfauxsure @Kraznor Or that! ↲
- So my laptop's right hinge is probably nearing the end of its lifespan. Any advice? twitter.com/mogwai_...
- @HoughWill I was giving serious consideration to industrial epoxy, actually. ↲
- @magic_bane Basically everything. The casing, then the metal. Somewhere along the line, also the screws holding the metal to the casing. ↲
- @mogwai_poet That's about what mine looked like a couple months ago! Get that fixed before it gets worse. ↲
- @magic_bane Yeah, I could hypothetically find the same model on Craigslist that's broken in some other way. ↲
- @magic_bane The main problem with that is that it'd be the same shitty plastic case that wore out in a year :) ↲
- @exfauxsure @Kraznor Or that :) ↲
- The Vo-96 acoustic guitar synthesizer performs tone manipulation by altering the vibration of the strings. kickstarter.com/pro...
- RT @doctorshrugs @ibogost Frog Faction
- @AtkinsSJ @infinite_ammo "Pay to skip this paragraph" would be more effective. ↲
- RT @Brinstar This is super messed up: I was detained and interrogated at the border for carrying condoms huffingtonpost.ca/c...
- @magic_bane So far the epoxy seems to be holding! ↲
- "Why don't *our* children get to be children? Why don't they ever get to be innocent?" blackgirldangerous....
- This year's Lyttle Lytton winners are in: adamcadre.ac/13lytt...
- @secondquest Your first number one is always number one in your heart. ↲
- RT @Protome If I mention Frog Fractions in my Serious Game Design exam that's an instant pass, right?
- @LouisGorenfeld @STRd6 @Triplefox @Bananattack Me me me me me me me ↲
- Joel Burgess on the processes behind Bethesda's modular world design: blog.joelburgess.co...
- RT @mcclure111 Oh, one more thing. Let's say recently -- like, last ten years -- you've gone from being someone with very little power, to someone with a lot?
- RT @mcclure111 If that ever somehow happens, maaaaaaaybe you should think for a minute about whether you should change how you present yourself in debates.
- RT @jennatar The original version of that tweet was "It's that time again!!" and then my Twitter password. Stone sober today, I swear.
- @haydencd Yeah, I thought it was really informative! ↲
- Epoxy-based DIY hinge repair seems to be holding up. Thanks, Alex! (No thanks, Asus.) twitter.com/mogwai_...
- Reddit commenters are falling over themselves to explain how Reddit probably had nothing to do with this death. usatoday.com/story/...
- I'll be looking for a new place and/or new roommates shortly. Who wouldn't want to cohabitate with the illustrious Twinbeard?
- (East bay; must like cats; beards optional.)
- @daemonpants Man, why do married couples always want to move *out* and never in? ↲
- @ShaynaWhy That'd be great, thanks! ↲
- @ShaynaWhy Thanks! ↲
- @daemonpants "Dear /r/AskReddit, what are these weird animal noises I keep hearing every night? ... Sure, I'll do an AMA!" ↲
- Having to relearn -- or maybe just learn, I kinda forget -- linear algebra now that I can't just call Flash's 2D matrix class.
- @dmmfix So far, it's: compare results to same operation in Flash's implementation, and if it doesn't match, transpose thing. ↲
- @Capn_Andy Obv. in this context "The" must be a proper noun, not an article. ↲
- Dude on BART yelling about how Apple is fucking you in the ass and you need to give all but 10% of your income to Samsung.
- @Triplefox Don't even joke, I know people who are still down in the trenches fighting the console wars. ↲
- @Naklsonofnakkl Well said, sir! ↲
- Manic Pixie Prostitute: youtube.com/watch?v...
- RT @cascio All of our actions, plans, models and philosophies ultimately have to recognize one thing: Desperate people do desperate things. #ReConCon
- RT @necrosofty I LIKE
CATS AND I CAN NOT LIE
MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW
- "Blog Comment Spammer just exposed his template through some error and the whole thing showed up in my comments." gist.github.com/sha...
- I'm gonna be showing Frog Fractions at this thing this weekend at the Oakland Museum of California, I guess? museumca.org/event/...
- No idea yet what that entails! And it starts in an hour.
- @TheZotmeister I've gotten several requests to put that feature in Frog Fractions HD. ↲
- @simoncarless Woo! ↲
- One minute the exhibit is empty, the next minute five kids show up at one to play Minecraft.
- Somebody got to the text adventure! So we'll be stuck there all day instead of at the pond.
- None of these kids want to play a game called Frog Fractions, but they all want to repurpose my laptop as an additional Minecraft client.
- Each kid is inflicting a different apocalypse on Oakland. Spiders, lava flooding, creepers, some flying squid things I don't recognize...
- Hey, some kids started playing Frog Fractions after all. "This doesn't make any sense at all. This is just crazy."
- They have enough fruit for the warp drive, but none of them seem to have a handle on the concept of dodging bullets.
- @jasoneppink That's cool! How old are they? ↲
- @Triplefox Nor should it be; you wouldn't want to reinforce victim-blaming culture in young minds. ↲
- @YouOldSoAndSo I tend to agree. I think, had they gotten much further, it mostly would've been lost on them. ↲
- @KrisLevyWhitman Probably. When? ↲
- @KrisLevyWhitman Sure, okay. Give me some notice and I can find a room. ↲
- @KrisLevyWhitman @RockLeeSmile Okay! ↲
- @RockLeeSmile @KrisLevyWhitman Cool. ↲
- @KrisLevyWhitman Just logged in in as mogwaipoet. ↲
- @KrisLevyWhitman Oh man, you guys are barreling through it. ↲
- @KrisLevyWhitman Did you want me in on the call? I'm mogwaipoet on Skype too. ↲
- @KrisLevyWhitman Thanks for having me! ↲
- OH: "Then we attach an accelerometer to a baby."
- @xFats Thanks, I will have a look! ↲
- @KrisLevyWhitman @GassyMexican @JSmithOTI It was fun! Thanks for having me on. ↲
- "Q: WHAT IS BLU AND I AM WERING?
A: MY HAT" badkidsjokes.tumblr...
- "DINOSAUR JOKE
- @inkgizmo Huh, I hadn't thought about it, but I guess the numbers 1 through 10 must come in the same order they did in 1988. ↲
- Today: your last chance to see Frog Fractions, Minecraft, 7 Grand Steps and a bunch of mashed-up children's toys in the same museum exhibit!
- (Here's South Park's Chef with the head of Dora the Explorer. Here's Jabba the Hutt with Barbie legs.)
- @Sosowski Vine! ↲
- @mrasmus Have Adobe ruined the DC Universe for you too? ↲
- @DualRyan @benprunty Paying attention to theory took me from making ~50 songs a year -- using maybe 5 different chord progressions -- to ~2. ↲
- @geardrops It's short for "giraffe." ↲
- @benprunty @DualRyan Interesting. What I found was that other *musicians* liked my theory-informed music more. Most people didn't notice. ↲
- Signs you have a solid understanding of your algorithm: you spend an hour inserting and removing minus signs to make something look right.
- @hamptonus Oh cool, I've been meaning to check that remix album out. ↲
- A Post-mortem of @Sosowski's Commodore 64 game for Ludum Dare: ludumdare.com/compo...
- @LouisGorenfeld @STRd6 @Triplefox @Bananattack I'm in. (Also probably in for another night this week.) ↲
- @rachel_sala @mrasmus Also a pretty performant, compatible and ubiquitous VM! But it was a bad match for the Chumby so it's awful forever. ↲
- RT @TomSmizzle all games need to stop doing some obnoxious game design trope and having a character say "oh jeez i hate [obnoxious game design trope]"
- . @TomSmizzle Isn't "oh jeez I hate shooting" basically the plot of every first-person shooter by now? ↲
- @rachel_sala @mrasmus The Flash editor isn't going away. If the VM does, the editor will just export to other formats. ↲
- @mrasmus @rachel_sala Yeah, I almost put "stable" on my list of adjectives but I meant "still correctly runs binaries from 15 years ago." ↲
- @AmyDentata @TomSmizzle If you can't stop people from enjoying something gross, at least you can trick them into getting yelled at for it. ↲
- Liz Ryerson's analysis of Bioshock Infinite's opening sequence: youtube.com/watch?v...
- RT @mdiehr @mogwai_poet "oh jeeze I hate fractions" is the plot to frog fractions
- Registration is open for Tigjam 5, in late June. tigjam.com/...
- I had to poop but the sign said "no pooping." I haven't pooped since and I've never felt better. Thanks, Noisebridge! shitnoisebridgesays...
- A mysterious "James Crawford Crawford" is also attending Tigjam 5. tigjam2013.eventbri...
- Perhaps I'll meet him and our forms will coalesce into a single James James Crawford Crawford Crawford hive mind and vanish into the nether.
- @vogon Long have we waited for this day! ↲
- Also Chris Crawford! He's not the Chris Crawford you're thinking of, but his presence will still augment the hive-mind.
- @ForneusLex At least three by my count. ↲
- Tigjam registration is almost full. Maybe actually full by now. You'd better go check! tigjam2013.eventbri...
- Oh no, Mario Marathon 6 coincides with TIGJam 5. How am I supposed to watch Mario streams and make games at the same time? It can't be done!
- @LouisGorenfeld @Triplefox Two parts tears, three parts Jolt Cola. ↲
- @Satchamobob I guess I'm not really an indie developer if I haven't released a 2D platformer. ↲
- @endrift Aw. Did you try for the wait-list? ↲
- @frank0127 That is the current plan, but I expect my audio channel to be taken up by people talking to me for much of the time. Assholes! ↲
- @LouisGorenfeld @Triplefox I wonder where we can get more of that. They took it off the menu, didn't they? Can't imagine why. ↲
- Fix contraception? Or maybe just keep screaming "be a better person" until everyone's perfect. Works every time! theatlantic.com/hea...
- @EvanBalster Man, I would kill to be able to use my real name on *any* on-line service. Except Xbox Live. I got that one somehow. ↲
- @EvanBalster "Afterburner Crawford." It's got a ring to it! Maybe I'll steal it from him. ↲
- @Triplefox Oh man, do you know James Crawford Crawford? I'm kinda excited to find out what he's about. ↲
- @Triplefox You should make a game about that. We'd both learn something. ↲