|february 2013 microblog digest|
Posted 2013-06-27 00:55:22 by
Archived from http://twitter.com/mogwai_poet:
- Holy Land, USA, closed since 1984. buzzfeed.com/hunt...
- XNA officially abandoned. Long live MonoGame? gamasutra.com/vie...
- RT @vectorpoem Walled gardens, publishers, difficult tools, high barriers to entry all help @TheGamePolice keep us safe from things that may not be games.
- @Triplefox Is that a new thing? It looks like maybe an answer to the submission fee reaction. ↲
- In desperate need of additional punctuation: "Look at Flower is Breakfast at Tiffany's on Acid."
- @kewlrats Maybe they can help figure out what it means! ↲
- @germdisco I wonder if it'd be poor sportsmanship to vote down everything above my game. ↲
- RT @christinelove Good morning Twitter ! Do your best !!
- @limbclock Sorry, I didn't mean to cause an existential crisis! ↲
- RT @ja2ke The niners players denying their involvement in the It Gets Better video that I was briefly proud of them for being in is pretty shit.
- @limbclock Saying what you want to say without offending is a skill that you get better at with practice. It's easier with people you know. ↲
- @limbclock I count that as a win :) ↲
- 49ers players renounce "It Gets Better" clips they appeared in after finding out they were reassuring LGBT kids. sanfrancisco.cbsl...
- @daemonpants Probably, yeah :/ ↲
- The 50th anniversary cover for The Bell Jar "rebrands the classic piece of literature into chick lit." salon.com/2013/02...
- @Reetesh No. Immigration is a subject I'd like to tackle more seriously, but it's scary specifically because I have no personal experience. ↲
- @idesanya Thanks, I'll let her know! ↲
- @Reetesh Sure, I'd be interested. ↲
- Savings is running low enough that my bank has started charging me for being poor. Always a bad sign.
- @davidsgallant No, it makes perfect sense. They're the ones least capable of resisting it. ↲
- @drewmmichaels Almost as popular as the "Too Many Fees Fee." ↲
- @KayinNasaki centerforgamescie...
- @Digitalistic Hopefully one of these days I'll get angry enough to go through with the hassle of switching. ↲
- No need for me to make a Frog Fractions sequel now. These guys have you covered. centerforgamescie...
- @UndeadManWalkin That's basically what the soundtrack is for, but don't feel obligated; I'll be fine. Lots of opportunities. ↲
- @GuardianKnux I should've thought of that. I'm a lifelong learner! ↲
- @Triplefox That sounds like a good way to think about it. That'd explain why the people making $500k and spending it all feel poor. ↲
- Tried to register domain at @hover; got the error "Password contained invalid characters." Clearly these guys know their security practices.
- Also, the error didn't say which characters were invalid, so they've got the interface design thing going on too.
- @vogon Security via wizard curses? Can't be much worse than status quo. ↲
- @MikeASchneider The password it rejected was VCTx%Q7^hL4KoV44TsX#. Feel free to figure it out and let me know! ↲
- @cellphonegaming I was gonna make one, but then I saw this and no longer felt the need. centerforgamescie... ↲
- @cellphonegaming It seems to! ↲
- Mmph. Upon returning home, that picture was about as legible as I was afraid it'd be.
- Is there a place online to buy hyper-inflated currency in bulk? Like, a wheelbarrow of Zimbabwean $10,000 bills. Asking for a friend.
- @hamptonus I don't see why not! ↲
- @TomBurnsRogers 100 bills isn't a wheelbarrow, but that may do in a pinch, thanks! ↲
- "Hilariously Ferocious Underwater Dogs" thisiscolossal.co...
- OH: "The gentlest of drubbings."
- "It seems the clear winner was The Football, having scored every point in the game. Congratulations Football." grimelords.tumblr...
- @chinto Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. ↲
- When Neo woke up out of The Matrix, he saw Hong Kong. imgur.com/a/ixxhg...
- Tom Hall is kickstarting a platformer game making tool, with a spiritual sequel to Commander Keen as the demo game. kickstarter.com/p...
- RT @Rokashi Making someone play Frog Fractions. Lol. This is always a great bonding game.
- Frog Fractions: bringing friends together.
- RT @PackBenPack @mogwai_poet I had a whole room of people play it and we had the time of our lives and it lead to an orgy! Only that last part isn't true.
- @evilbadman That is pretty sweet! ↲
- @frank0127 Time to get better friends! ↲
- @exfauxsure @pixel_response This is my favorite photo of me: sphotos-a.xx.fbcd... ↲
- @jakeinvaders Thanks! Glad you were able to find the payoff :) ↲
- "The easiest thing to blame is always the kid who fails at the blankly inoffensive ideals of childhood." vice.com/read/sho...
- @jakeinvaders It looks dumb at first glance by design. That's the whole point! ↲
- RT @bengrue A trusted friend on the evils of being in the social media industry: pastebin.com/tb7b... (I know & vouch for this prsn, msg should be obv.)
- @bengrue "Professional asshole" is definitely a burgeoning field. ↲
- @evilbadman Wait okay, so in that poll apparently everybody *except* the Penny Arcade Forum voters loved Frog Fractions. ↲
- I had a dream where I braided my hair into my beard and it was a perfect replacement for my erstwhile beard braids.
- I could try it in real life, but I'd need to get a haircut before every meal. Maybe I could try being less fond of chewing.
- @daphaknee Muh muh mer meh muh mer. ↲
- @buzz_clik *Is* baby food good enough for RoboCop? I question this premise. ↲
- @for_a_dollar @buzz_clik Enough of that out of you. ↲
- @frank0127 Man, did I ever tell you about my idea for a food cart selling Indian curry-with-rice in boba tea form factor? ↲
- @karamisaurus @frank0127 Yep, that's the expression you make while consuming it! ↲
- @mrasmus @frank0127 @karamisaurus Your license fee will be daily shipments to my house. ↲
- @mrasmus @frank0127 @karamisaurus Your license fee will be setting up shop in Berkeley. ↲
- Civil conversation with people whose value systems conflict with your own. nytimes.com/2003/...
- @YouOldSoAndSo You mean you have to *download it*? That's like a baby's toy! ↲
- @NoGasta He's always right about everything. What can you do except agree with him? ↲
- @BenKuchera Could you replicate this environment by turning off the wifi switch on your laptop? ↲
- @BenKuchera Man, that'd do it, wouldn't it? ↲
- RT @neilyourself Jean-Luc Lennon / Paul Picardney
- I think I might've sneezed a tiny bit of decongestant up into my nasal cavity. Is that irony?
- @n3dst4 Is that a no, then? ↲
- This story beat happens a lot I guess. youtube.com/watch...
- Sometimes it's more fun to let game mechanics stand on their own. penny-arcade.com/...
- Who's up for some Grand Theft Auto: Saw? How about Grand Theft Auto: Kirk Douglas? gameological.com/...
- Some of the things that were great about Dead Space are still great in Dead Space 3.
- @KommanderKlobb Yes, but in general the diegetic HUD conceit isn't as consistent. ↲
- @KommanderKlobb Same here. I liked two a lot overall, but it would've been a much better game at half the length. ↲
- Dead Space 3: better than Dead Space Ignition but not as good as Dead Space Extraction.
- RT @AntiJokeCat Ask me if I'm a tree. Are you a tree? No.
- @hamptonus Why not fight human enemies in literally every other game? ↲
- @hamptonus Dead Space games aren't less of a time investment! You should probably check out Gears of War 2. It's a solid game. ↲
- @hamptonus Dead Space's dismemberment mechanic *was* that. Fighting other humans just removes what's interesting about the combat mechanics. ↲
- @hamptonus My experience confirms this. ↲
- @hamptonus I know what you mean. Dead Space 3 is supposed to be 15+ hours long, by the way. ↲
- @hamptonus A fun idea for a multiplayer mechanic. The problem with that kind of idea is that you have to build an entire game to go with it. ↲
- @hamptonus Me too. The first two games nail the atmosphere, and 3 does a pretty good job still. ↲
- Out of resources in Dead Space 3. Full stop, no way to progress. TIME TO BUY THE DLC RESOURCE PACKS, AMIRITE?
- That never happened to me in previous Dead Spaces, even on the highest difficulty. Pretty obvious that they tuned drop rates to sell DLC.
- @untitledmage Yes. Probably poorly. ↲
- @GeneralBison Oddly enough, it makes a strong case for playing games on PC, where modding and cheats keep that stuff in check. ↲
- @Polygoblin Yeah, I did that in Dead Space as well. DS3 autosaves, though; I'm pretty sure you only have one slot. ↲
- @GeneralBison I was reading about that. Tempting, but I haven't gotten far enough to take advantage of it. ↲
- @Teanah Thanks, Tina! Glad you enjoyed it. ↲
- @GeneralBison One of the things I didn't have time to build was a fake microtransaction interface that purported to sell you 25,000 fruit. ↲
- @GeneralBison I'm told that one thing I got wrong about Frog Fractions is that bugs are actually really into durians. ↲
- RT @spikepoint Today I street passed with the guy that made Frog Fractions. Pretty much the highlight of my day tbh. #nerd
- @hamptonus Don't worry, there are some incredibly stupid twists later. ↲
- If your best idea to get a story from point A to point B is to put in a scene where the protagonist acts like an idiot, please stop writing.
- @LanzAlentzia If it's fully in-character, that's more acceptable, but I'll still be wondering why you're telling me a story about an idiot. ↲
- @juv3nal He's the guy they named poking yourself in the eye with a stick after, right? ↲
- Watching YouTube playthrough videos of Dead Space 3 to see what I "missed" after giving up playing. (Yes, my last tweet was about this.)
- Previous Dead Spaces were hardly great literature, but they were solid sci-fi/horror, with inventive set-pieces and a high degree of polish.
- @AmyDentata Agreed -- it kills me that every game has to be about shooting, because Dead Space is *begging* to be about running and hiding. ↲
- @AmyDentata My favorite part of the whole series is the haunted house walk through the Ishimura in DS2. The part where nothing happens. ↲
- Aside: Dead Space 2 took two DVDs because it had a huge variety of detailed environments. DS3 uses two DVDs because... endless snowfields?
- @hamptonus You have found the true horror. ↲
- @Unlimited_Bacon I tried really hard not to automatically hate after hearing about those. Not sure if I succeeded. ↲
- @IcarusTyler My guess is that they decided players would feel shortchanged if they didn't at least pretend DS3 was just as "big" as 2. ↲
- @specwill Everything's Awesome. ↲
- The Other 11 Doctors. scifind.com/featu...
- @TheZotmeister I wonder if those historical hairstyles all fill the same role of signaling "homemaker." ↲
- @silentbicycle If I say no, will you keep wondering about what mysteries they might hold? ↲
- @silentbicycle Yes and no. (No.) ↲
- Taking a break from the Unknown Worlds game jam to head over to the Saturday jam at @STRd6's place. Nested jamming!
- @hamptonus You're the zombie now! ↲
- @hamptonus Pretty sure that was revealed in Dead Space 2. Wait, are you playing Dead Space 2? Because that one's awesome. ↲
- @mcclure111 imgur.com/f4zn94E... ↲
- @hamptonus Hm? ↲
- Jamming is like attending a theme park. Constant high of new game, new team, instant gratification, no worrying about the long view.
- @codemastermm You're in the Bay Area, right? There's a Sifteo jam in a couple weekends. Maybe not the best for a first-time jammer... ↲
- @codemastermm Have you tried not making weekend plans! ↲
- @codemastermm I'm for it! ↲
- @steverockan That idea makes me think of the kind of work you have to do to get STL objects to look reasonable in a debugger. ↲
- @steverockan Except way less generalizable and more specific to individual projects. ↲
- @mcclure111 Hm, I thought the co-op mode alone justified NSMBWii. As a point of comparison, how did you feel about NSMB2? ↲
- @SamoBurja @admittedlyhuman @michaelblume A decision I make about hamburgers has a measurable impact on my life. ↲
- @mcclure111 We should play co-op NSMB sometime. Or co-op games in general. They're pretty great. ↲
- @Elkasaurus Weird, huh? ↲
- @Mr_FJ It's what I do! Glad I could help. ↲
- @Mr_FJ In the current build, yes. ↲
- @Elkasaurus i.imgur.com/m3mhB... ↲
- "I accidentally enrolled in the academy twice, now I'm Two Cops." chainsawsuit.com/...
- Best algorithm for roguelike map generation: imgur.com/a/Oy2gE...
- @BlergGames You're a loose cannon, me! Get your shit together! ↲
- @AmyDentata Stored in grease on cardboard. ↲
- USPS cutting service to 5 days a week has nothing to do with the world transitioning to email from away from paper. kidcrimefighter.t...
- RT @ShaynaWhy Whoa, @nadya just told me about Mike Diana, a US artist who was legally banned from drawing for being too obscene en.wikipedia.org/...
- Outside of film, the idea that widescreen is inherently better than 4:3, or should be given preferential treatment over 4:3, is ludicrous.
- Widescreen is better for film because they're made that way. There is no best aspect ratio for games. Some of the best are designed for 3:4!
- But you should hear 16:9 users shriek when devs optimize for 4:3. You're lucky they bothered to fill your screen at all, you entitled fucks.
- @mrasmus Right, so if you optimize for 16:9, then 4:3 users get an unplayable FOV. If you do it the other way around, everybody can play. ↲
- @luxjacopo That reminds me, what's the reaction to the framerate in The Hobbit? ↲
- @BooDooPerson That phenomenon pretty much happens for all game graphics, I've found. ↲
- @elfbarf The idea that "quality" automatically means a particular aspect ratio is exactly what I'm arguing against here. ↲
- . @mrasmus Part of my thesis here is that widescreen users aren't happy unless 4:3 users have it worse. ↲
- @luxjacopo My reaction was that everything looked "too fast" for about 10 minutes but just smoother after that. Wish I'd liked the film. ↲
- @biphenyl Best played split-screen on a 1.175:1 display. ↲
- @Reetesh Ideally, the same way you know the game's system requirements. ↲
- There's more nuance to this that I didn't convey before, so bear with me: most screens are wide nowadays; it makes sense to prioritize them.
- It makes sense to optimize for 16:9, and support 4:3 as well, by giving it more vertical FOV; giving those users less would be unplayable.
- But then widescreen users complain that 4:3 users are seeing "more," even though in this context "more" is less optimal. See: Bioshock PC.
- These heuristics, again, come from film, where "more" meant "what the filmmaker intended" rather than whatever junk was just out of frame.
- RT @DennisJerz Targeting schools as potential buyers of edu games is still less profitable than targeting home schoolers, parents. jerz.setonhill.ed...
- Channeling my inner 7-year-old. twitter.com/mogwa...
- @Takorii I remember enjoying working in 256x256 mode in DOS; to address a pixel you simply put X in the low byte and Y in the high byte. ↲
- @mikethegratest One of my most secret dreams is to make a side-scrolling sequel to Duke Nukem 1. ↲
- @Reetesh Plausibly, yeah. ↲
- @GuardianKnux That's why you just give the 4:3 players the extra FOV and be done with it. Everyone can play, everyone's happy. ↲
- @GuardianKnux Except for the assholes who want to know that somebody with lower status is getting the short end of the stick. Win win! ↲
- @Takorii I've made games involving squares! ↲
- "Aaron Swartz wanted to save the world. Why couldn't he save himself?" slate.com/article...
- @mikethegratest Suddenly my dream has come true! Thanks! ↲
- We're on an express elevator to Hell, going down. youtube.com/watch...
- @Noxonomus Are they things? This is the first time I've seen one. ↲
- @Noxonomus Awesome. I had no idea this wasn't just a one-off installation. ↲
- "Wait, you mean we spent all this money making a demo and getting it out there and it cut our sales in half?" penny-arcade.com/...
- Observing this striking animal, you can imagine scurvy-afflicted sailors raving about the "centaurs" they'd seen. kateclark.com/scu...
- @TomBurnsRogers Rather than this data leading to people working less hard on demos, I suspect they'll just forgo demos entirely. ↲
- Just occurred to me: when companies list all the latest fashionable technologies they work with, it's supposed to sound like a *good* thing.
- RT @YouOldSoAndSo @mogwai_poet I exchanged my flooz for bitcoins and bought a cuecat.
- Puzzle design is awesome. i.imgur.com/Atd5D...
- Man, I bet I could really rack up the street passes by stashing my 3DS somewhere in the Embarcadero BART station every morning.
- I bet I'm not the only person to think of that. Want to play Mario 3D land? Just look in obvious hiding places for a 3DS to borrow.
- @Satchamobob Get a better city! ↲
- @IvanDashSmith The sequel should just have been about the bookkeeping of that whole process. ↲
- @daemonpants The 3DS is so cute though! I don't know how you could get less suspicious ↲
- "The Death of Romance in the Shadow of the Colossus" berfrois.com/2013...
- Best lap steel guitar solo played on a Roland Jupiter-8: youtube.com/watch...
- RT @frankcifaldi Wii U sold somewhere around 55k in the U.S. last month. On a per-week basis that's less than half PS3's worst month ever. Consoles are dead.
- RT @frankcifaldi The Gamecube did better in its third month. So did the Dreamcast.
- RT @vectorpoem auntiepixelante.c... @auntiepixelante's comment here on why even circumventable gatekeeping is culturally harmful is dead on.
- Business as usual on the streets of the former Soviet Union. youtube.com/watch...
- Game jam theme: Russian dash cam.
- @vogon In a car, pretty much, yeah. ↲
- @exfauxsure Insurance Fraud Frogger. ↲
- RT @HULKGAMECRIT ?DON'T STOP HULK NOOOOOOOOW, HULK WANTS TO HAVE A GOOD TIME! HULK HAVING A BALL? @S0phieH @IcarusTyler @mogwai_poet
- @psysal @S0phieH @IcarusTyler It'd be nice to have data on the likelihood of, e.g., wheels suddenly falling off trucks in various countries. ↲
- @Reetesh I hadn't, but I just did now. Good stuff! ↲
- @MammonMachine The trick is to choose a project you believe is even more important than your thesis, so you can procrastinate doing that. ↲
- Dating sim set in the Aliens universe. Hatoful Boyfriend with Xenomorphs.
- RT @psysal @mogwai_poet @S0phieH @IcarusTyler en.wikipedia.org/... Russia is worse than the US, after all, by about 50%
- Steam for Linux has a surprisingly decent catalog. Any word on compatibility across hardware/software configurations? store.steampowere...
- Medieval soldiers seem to get freaked out when you reduce gravity unexpectedly. youtube.com/watch...
- I think the exhibit's LOD settings are glitching. new-aesthetic.tum...
- @mcclure111 Programs that write programs are the happiest programs of all. ↲
- @RealReimu I always wondered what he looked like at a higher resolution! ↲
- @seecce Creepy! ↲
- Can't-fail startup idea of the day: using the oven as a garbage can. When it gets full, just put it on self-clean!
- @KdotCdot @wavenger @carnivillain Nice! I never wear that color, but maybe I should start. ↲
- Life just happens. The universe happens. Any explanation attributed to events, even one widely agreed upon, is merely human interpretation.
- Case in point, there's a .pizza TLD now. Why? Nobody can ever be sure.
- @Rokashi I hope ICANN tries to demonstrate that it's not US-centric by creating .masala, .injera and .borscht next. Mouth-watering! ↲
- @KayinNasaki Here's the problem: males are sexualized by making them look powerful; females are sexualized by making them look vulnerable. ↲
- @mcclure111 Man, I'd start using Misc. if given the opportunity, and I'm about as cis as it gets. ↲
- @hamptonus If that pattern-match continues working out for you, keep it up then! ↲
- @KayinNasaki ... okay, that's definitely not a power outfit. ↲
- @cellphonegaming Sounds like you're enjoying life more than most people. ↲
- Sony knows what users want, but will only hint at it, not actually give it to them. Etsy sellers, your time to shine! adsoftheworld.com...
- Whenever I talk about Vita games I've played I feel like I have to explain that I only own one for work.
- @vogon I've got bad news for you: the Vita's form factor is actually a tiny rounded rectangle made of hard plastic. ↲
- @ChakraKnot The future of PC gaming looks bright! Except that Windows 8 is a closed platform and OS X de facto is too, with Gatekeeper. ↲
- @vogon 2006 was an *amazing* year for Sony being astonishing fuckups. ↲
- . @vogon If ExistenZ isn't hard evidence that customers are dying for the game console/fleshlight convergence, I don't know what is. ↲
- @ChakraKnot If anyone can make games on Linux viable, it's Valve. Also, nobody can. ↲
- @louroboros @vogon Is this the device that's come closest to fruition? lovepalz.com/... Not counting XBLIG apps like "Remote Masseuer" ↲
- Why police officers lie under oath, and why punishing individual instances won't fix the systemic problem: nytimes.com/2013/...
- RT @idontlikewords Goats are the only animal with an innate sense of democracy, that's why they're called "Nature's Presidents".
- The economic forces at work that lead crack dealers to accept Tide detergent as currency: nymag.com/news/fe...
- In 1950, Robert Newton's performance of Long John Silver defined the look and the sound of the pop culture pirate. sabotagetimes.com...
- RT @wonderella I think the PS4 could be a big hit if it's a handheld device and plays mobile phone games and is a phone.
- Huh, blatant Playstation Vita product placement in House of Cards. Wasn't expecting that.
- RT @MarshallSella If I'm dating someone who marches around hoisting and waving her favorite Communist keepsake, that's a huge red flag.
- RT @dan_schmidt Having "Play a two-player game" get localized to "Zwei Spieler Spiel spielen" #PlayStationMemories
- RT @dan_schmidt Learning to program the SPU by reading sample code with comments in Japanese. #PlayStationMemories
- @Kraznor @faustb Oddly enough, him playing Killzone 3 in episode 1 didn't feel forced to me *until* he name-dropped the Vita in episode 3. ↲
- I don't know if you guys have noticed, but game design is much harder when you're not just ripping off an existing design.
- @GameDesignDan They're different skill sets, certainly. If you've only ever done your own thing, then I can see emulation being difficult. ↲
- @Kraznor "Paying homage" is what I called it in Frog Fractions, certainly. ↲
- @rachel_sala Good PR deflects, great PR embraces and justifies! ↲
- Five minutes until we find out if we have to stand up and shout "McDonalds!" before starting each game. i.imgur.com/Dvvy0Yu...
- @frank0127 Hm, do you know what the origin was? ↲
- Hey, it's Statix/PL. That's pretty cool.
- RT @TheJare Why do I feel that Statix has ALWAYS worn that striped shirt
- RT @frank0127 And with that, The Last Guardian must be cancelled.
- @mcclure111 The Witness being a PS4 exclusive was the most interesting thing for me. ↲
- @Emualynk @mcclure111 Timed exclusive, almost certainly. Still, super unexpected. ↲
- Letters of Note: Aldous Huxley writes to George Orwell about whose dystopia is more plausible. lettersofnote.com/2...
- Jonathan Blow clarifies "PS4 exclusive." It's *just* console exclusivity, so a PC version at launch is still likely. the-witness.net/new...
- Unfortunately, this does mean that the much-anticipated Dreamcast port of The Witness is dead in the water.
- RT @pattheflip @mogwai_poet "The PlayStation 4 is the only PlayStation that The Witness will appear on"
- "The PlayStation 4 errs by holding on to the idea that its particular brand of novelty is in any way novel." theatlantic.com/tec...
- "It would have been enough just to say, 'Look, we made a badasser PlayStation, just like you expected.'"
- @phanboy_iv I'm pretty happy that it's basically a PC internally. But yeah, that's pretty inside-baseball. ↲
- RT @johnfreiler i hate that one occasional cadbury cream egg you get that has a bloody malformed cadbury bunny fetus inside
- Pre-pounce pupil dilation. youtube.com/watch?v...
- It's 2013 and I'm rebooting so I can rename a folder.
- Also, it's 2013 and basic command line utilities break based on the name of a folder.
- @rachel_sala No, do you have a link? ↲
- @LouisGorenfeld Not sure, it's part of the Sifteo SDK. ↲
- @henryfaber Folder Fractals. ↲
- Audio equipment reviewed based on the only metric that matters. youtube.com/user/Kn...
- RT @Naklsonofnakkl I am car pooling with the guy who made Frog Fractions. I shook his hand twice, once on introductions and once when i found out who he was.
- @daemonpants That's remarkable. Like how in early Androids, all keystrokes went to an invisible bash prompt as well as the intended program? ↲
- Impressed by the Sifteo SDK. As embedded systems APIs go it's pretty goddamn clean and expressive.
- @cellphonegaming Hm, that'd be a pretty interesting UI design challenge. ↲
- @WhyMrPink I'm getting this guy to direct: youtube.com/watch?v... ↲
- "Dash-cams: Russia's Last Hope For Civility And Survival On The Road" animalnewyork.com/2...
- RT @mcclure111 @SeeBeeWhitman Have I told you about my theory that the only coherent way to interpret Star Trek is as Federation propaganda films?
- @FrogCroakley 2013: the year we taught the world to fractions. ↲
- Just figured out why my code isn't linking: Sifteo not only discourages dynamic allocation, the SDK doesn't even define the new operator.
- When making a retro-styled web page, is it kosher to use modern dynamic HTML to simulate the marquee and blink elements?
- @clintmakesagame I hope someone's maintaining a Navigator 3.x for modern PCs, or much history has been lost. ↲
- @SkyTyrannosaur There Will Be Gifs. ↲
- Broadcasting our Sifteo jam game demos here: youtube.com/watch?v...
- Hey I won prizes! I guess I'll be able to show people my Sifteo game after all.
- RT @vectorpoem The great thing about Hitler's death gurgle in E3M9 of Wolf3D is that it is clearly just @ThatTomHall blowing bubbles into his Big Gulp™.
- RT @xMattieBrice I always forget other people can fill out your taxes for you, so whenever it asks if you're dead always makes me have an existential crisis.
- "Honky-Tonky Double Barrel Meat Blast: A Sammy Hagar lookalike pushes your face into a leather bag filled with oil." guysamericankitchen...
- Suzanne Treister's "Software" series, 1993-1994. Paintings of imaginary software packages. ensemble.va.com.au/...
- @hamptonus @bwolf_ @omarionation You're a real hero, Hampton. ↲
- Abandoned structures. (No porn.) abandonedporn.com/...
- @cellphonegaming I'm sure me being the Frog Fractions guy is sending them into full-blown Sicilian Reasoning mode. ↲
- @frank0127 @daemonpants I've noticed the influx of hits and tweets about it! I haven't actually gotten around to watching. ↲
- Nintendo could continue losing money at last year's rate for 40 years before running out of cash. gamesradar.com/nint...
- Eye-opening interview from 2008 with Hirokazu Yasuhara, designer of Sonic the Hedgehog, Jak & Daxter and Uncharted.
- "I'm only a professional whatever this is because of I don't know why." Tycho sure knows his way around a sentence. penny-arcade.com/20...
- (Said without irony.)
- @cellphonegaming Exactly, yes. ↲
- @Laroquod Well, except for the pleasure of the prose. I really am a huge fan of his phrasings and word choices. ↲
- "There's a tremendous emphasis on elegance and beauty in highbrow coding circles. Beauty rarely scales." prog21.dadgum.com/1...
- @Laroquod One of them, yes. I'd argue he succeeds at that, but his prose definitely compromises clarity in favor of a more abstract beauty. ↲
- @Cowmanik So far, Dvorak support works on everything except Safari on Mac. Haven't figured out why yet. ↲
- RT @webbedspace @mcclure111 Every human body is really a vast continent of adventures that we, in our vanity, have mistaken for a small singular object.
- Remember, those who use non-web-safe colors endanger us all. If you see something, say something! web-source.net/216_...
- @IvanDashSmith A fun interview! ↲
- @IvanDashSmith Will you be in town for GDC? ↲
- @necrosofty Wow, three full minutes of it. It's like the guys with the cheese samples at Costco are like NO HAVE THE WHOLE BRICK ALL AT ONCE ↲
- I don't know what's worse, the new breast waggle feature, or that they dedicate a full three minutes of video to it. youtube.com/watch?f...
- @IvanDashSmith Indie games about parenting are the up and coming hotness, I can feel it. ↲
- @Laroquod I had this conversation with a friend, too. He recited a poem: "The cow is of the bovine ilk; one end is moo, the other milk." ↲
- @Laroquod What reason does that poem need to exist other than the joy of reading it? ↲
- @pklug I totally subtracted before posting! ↲
- Many games have sexualized content, but actual sex is taboo. The have-it-both-ways attitude is way grosser than straight-up porn is.
- RT @LearningHowMD Having a class or a child struggling with fractions. Check out Frog Pond Fractions for $21.99. Play 3 ways. 1-4 players.
- @IvanDashSmith Let's have it! Right now Sifteo cubes are my lens for every design idea. (Email, DM or IM if you'd prefer.) ↲
- Where do I enter this voucher code? Is there a search engine that lets you search for a form with three four-character text fields in a row?
- A good breakdown of why a new Skullgirls character costs $150k to produce. (Also, $150k is seriously lowballing it.) giantbomb.com/artic...
- Hey man! When you want to deploy, just make App Key Ring file from PSM Publishing Utility! Uh, don't ask me what that means, I'm just a kid!
- @davidsgallant Thanks, I needed that! ↲
- @bradshoemaker My favorite word is probably still "peristalsis." ↲
- Frog Fractions facts: "peristalsis" isn't just an awesome word, it's also Draggy Ceilingeater's biological mechanism for propulsion.
- "Foodfight!" A children's film that casts corporate megabrands as the heroes and "Brand X" as the Nazi-esque villain. avclub.com/articles...
- RT @gwarek Indie devs should all use a logo indicating a 100% microtransaction free game, the same way they put a logo on free trade coffee.
- @ForneusLex Hm, can you rephrase that? "A with X"? ↲
- @LouisGorenfeld In case you change your mind, it's evidently livestreaming all day, every day here: livestream.com/char... ↲
- "He told the judge he needed to get back into prison. The judge said 'I'll give you 14 months, go get your surgery.'" theatlantic.com/hea...
- Anyone who really invents a self-printing 3D printer won't need press releases. We'll know by all the 3D printers littering the countryside.
- @Sosowski Did you find out via press release? :) ↲
- @codemastermm @frank0127 I would never stand in the way of Life 2.0. ↲
- If you're wondering whether there is any need for more video games, the answer is no. collegehumor.com/ar...
- @Naklsonofnakkl I always thought Chutes and Ladders was pretty dumb. ↲