|september 2013 microblog digest|
Posted 2014-06-22 06:36:14 by
Archived from http://twitter.com/mogwai_poet:
- RT @manveerheir Stealth game where instead of killing, you knock guards out, then follow the guards as they deal with concussion symptoms for all their life
- Like GDC, all the best parts of PAX happened well outside the convention hall. Except for the guy who sang Master Exploder in Rock Band.
- @limbclock Man, I've wanted to go to Assembly since I saw Unreal in 1992. Remind me after Frog Fractions 2 1/2 makes me a billionaire. ↲
- @limbclock That's awesome, what was the award? ↲
- @limbclock Well done :) ↲
- @johmmmmmm Likewise! ↲
- @artenvelope Hi! Was good meeting you too! ↲
- Of course, as I'm getting ready to go to the airport, the only clean shirt left in my suitcase is the one that says "GIANT BOMB" on it.
- RT @dannyBstyle "where is the death?" - @mogwai_poet
- Post-PAX highlight: touched one of @virtjk's cyborg nipples after he came back from getting them installed.
- RT @Livelyivy Here is a joke my brain just decided to tell me: "How tall was the overenthusiastic guy? About yay high."
- For a brief moment, Gabe seemed to realize maybe he was the asshole, even if he didn't know why. Then, it was over. littlelull.tumblr.c...
- @Marwood It's complicated, of course. Supporting an unapologetic misogynist and transphobe is just one aspect of the overall PAX experience. ↲
- @dannyBstyle Likewise! Was good to hang out, man! ↲
- @celsiusgs @MANvsGAME @dannyBstyle Doesn't everybody use AOL? I can email my friends all day long and it's easy to use too! ↲
- @8bitpimp @dannyBstyle The explaining part is what you're doing wrong. You're supposed to handcuff them to a chair until they figure it out. ↲
- @LorenBednar @MANvsGAME @celsiusgs @dannyBstyle No homophone. ↲
- @8bitpimp Words are hard. If you break it down into morphemes, you could assume it meant someone afraid to, like, cross the street. ↲
- @Flanlord Was good meeting you! ↲
- @icecreamjonsey Same deal with the NAMCO arcade collection whose title included an implementation of the RSA encryption algorithm. ↲
- RT @MaxScoville As I've gained a larger audience, I've paid more attention to how my words affect people. That's not censorship, it's responsibility.
- Just get those glasses off, and the girls will be all over you. 31.media.tumblr.com...
- @dualhammers I *think* so, yeah. ↲
- Monument to Azathoth manifests in front of Oklahoma City restaurant. nydailynews.com/new...
- (Monument to Azathoth makes restaurant owner reconsider personal definition of art.)
- The Anatomy of Super Mario: "I love world 3-2, because the entire thing is an elaborate troll." 2-dimensions.com/20...
- Can't-fail startup idea of the day: "mark as unread" functionality on tweets, texts, IMs, phone calls, and dinner conversation.
- @IAmNidoking Can't-fail startup idea of the day: emergency mashed potato fanny pack. ↲
- @SimonBob You should get some better conversational partners! ↲
- "Intelligence officials asked the Guardian, New York Times and ProPublica not to publish this article." theguardian.com/wor...
- "The record for prime factorisation using Shor's algorithm stands at 21, split into prime factors 7 and 3, in 2012." economist.com/blogs...
- I wanted to pledge $15 to a thing, but the closest reward was at $20, but it was sold out, and I couldn't afford $25, so I didn't pledge.
- @davidsgallant You have a thing? I didn't know about your thing. What's your thing? ↲
- @davidsgallant Oh man, you're going to be traveling in style, huh? ↲
- @davidsgallant Have you considered pneumatic tube transport? ↲
- @troygilbert I can! But I didn't, because I couldn't get the cool side thing, even though I really did mostly care about the project itself. ↲
- @troygilbert Apes are pretty dumb sometimes, huh? ↲
- @Flanlord @dannyBstyle @MANvsGAME Sorta. You haven't been playing for the past two hours, right? I don't know if I could live with myself.
- @Flanlord @dannyBstyle @MANvsGAME I'm sorry. ↲
- @Flanlord @dannyBstyle @MANvsGAME I'll just go spend the next hour repeating that under my breath to distract myself from deepening guilt ↲
- @Flanlord @dannyBstyle @MANvsGAME Thanks man. I'm only half joking when I say I feel guilty; I try to avoid abject compulsion in my designs. ↲
- @Coestar @Flanlord @dannyBstyle @MANvsGAME That, I can live with! ↲
- In case you were wondering, this is exactly what programming feels like: atariage.com/manual...
- RT @craigtimpany @mogwai_poet I like the guy slacking off in the corner playing with his phone. Prescient!
- "Hesitation Marks was mastered in two ways -- the standard 'loud' mastering and an alternate 'audiophile' mastering." nineinchnails.tumbl...
- @regameyk Was good to meet you! ↲
- @jvdgoot @peteisfat They even say in the description that the change is small. I wonder if I could even tell the difference. ↲
- @jvdgoot @peteisfat There's also this: sphotos-b-lax.xx.fb... ↲
- @jvdgoot @peteisfat (And this: fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.a...) ↲
- Oh, perfect, I've been looking for a conspicuous place I'll remember to put my house keys. twitter.com/mogwai_...
- RT @lxndryng Dark Souls II confirmed for sequel to Frog Fractions.
- Oh no, Animal Crossing stores your letters to the villagers? I hope they'll let me keep making games in prison. twitter.com/mogwai_...
- @simoncarless This game is just a trap for people like me, huh? ↲
- RT @triumphofhearts @mogwai_poet Found this out when I played Wild World and one of my friends inherited one of my townsfolk and a stream of obscene messages.
- @driph @simoncarless Spoilers for our upcoming surveillance state: i.imgur.com/9GiNCqT... ↲
- After I bought my copy of "Silence! The Musical" they evidently re-recorded it with women singing the female parts. youtube.com/watch?v...
- RT @nottechmeme We Know This Thing Is Not True At All But Pageviews So Question Mark?
- @commentiquette Always glad to hear that story! ↲
- Join me for Tuesday co-working at The MADE! I'll be in the classrooms across from the museum proper.
- @8bitpimp Ah, yeah, that would've been cool! Do you visit much? ↲
- Pac-Man with ghost AI visualization: pacman.shaunew.com/...
- New Humble Bundle has some pretty cool games in it. humblebundle.com/...
- @Fattony12000 Your mom is a pretty cool game. ↲
- @Fattony12000 Pretty is game mum cool your my. ↲
- Categories, ladies and gentlemen! comics.billroundy.c...
- @KayinNasaki Better than breaking open the fortune cookie and the sound of a toilet flushing coming out. ↲
- Just bought a ticket to the so-called "Indie Game Jam." Is it indier than most jams? Let's find out together! indiegamejam-es2.ev...
- @mcclure111 Will do! ↲
- RT @whitney "War is God's way of teaching Americans geography." - Ambrose Bierce
- Spent four hours reading/writing emails today. This is at least as exhausting as doing actual work!
- @ForneusLex About South Bay meetups specifically, I actually don't know. @ExpiredPopsicle , @benprunty, @DanFessler, @OneMrBean? ↲
- @dmmfix You know how when you've just picked up a new skill you want to use it all the time because it's awesome? Kids love categorizing. ↲
- @dmmfix But you just did ... oh, I get it, "Baby" is her *name*! ↲
- @vogon World War 1 was pretty nasty too, so I'm told. For all the flack today's wars get, they've really cleaned up their act. ↲
- Take that Mirror's Edge cosplay and run with it. youtube.com/watch?v...
- @LorenBednar (No homophone.) ↲
- "I watched, completely entranced. I nearly cried. God damn, Chipotle advergame. Seriously." kotaku.com/youll-ne...
- "I hand stitched a poo. My husband looked over at me and said, 'I didn't know you could still surprise me.'" imgur.com/a/dB5Af...
- So I got a mic hooked up for my Spelunky daily challenge streams. Welcome, additional sense! twitch.tv/mogwaipoe...
- @RVGSymphony Yeah, it's been a new game at least four times now! ↲
- By the way, this mic is definitely good enough to pick up farts in the room.
- @RVGSymphony Yeah, I like the soundtrack a lot. ↲
- Given the option, rats choose a fulfilling, active, social life over an addiction to opiates. JUST LIKE PEOPLE MAYBE? sub.garrytan.com/it...
- RT @vectorpoem ASCII art circa 1920: text-mode.tumblr.co...
- @troygilbert I'm not gonna come into your house to judge your drugs, if that's what you're asking! ↲
- "Twerking is all us kids had left and now they're taking it away from us." prlog.org/12211658-...
- @EvanBalster Sounds like an infection. Go get it checked out. ↲
- @bengrue @EvanBalster The flu doesn't last two weeks! But yeah, I bet Ben's right about allergies. ↲
- Join me for Tuesday co-working at The MADE!
- "If we are not careful, we will soon be in a post-antibiotic era." Pshaw, when have we not been careful? wired.com/wiredscie...
- "3-Sweep: Extracting Editable Objects from a Single Photo" youtube.com/watch?v...
- Somehow, somebody at Blizzard was able to make the user psychology case for removing the auction house. us.battle.net/d3/en...
- I'm genuinely shocked. Pushing this through, in the face of making less money *and* losing a "cool feature," must've been a feat.
- And looking at the reactions gives me hope (likely ill-founded) for gamers one day recognizing that sometimes not having a thing is better.
- @dmmfix Notably, they're also removing the in-game-currency auction house. ↲
- @dmmfix Yeah, probably true. ↲
- "Twitch no longer automatically saves broadcasts by default." They must be really desperate to conserve disk space
- I look forward to finding out how they're going to try to tie this into Plus. plus.google.com/+La...
- Oh, I missed my chance to make the other obvious joke, about how in 3 years they'll lose interest and cancel the service, killing billions.
- Hector Salamanca's bell, starting bid $3500. screenbid.auctionse...
- "Crowdfunding's Secret Enemy Is PayPal" giantbomb.com/artic...
- Fifteen years later, selecting text in a web browser still sucks. And it always will, now that all dev effort is going towards touchscreen.
- @need12648430 Hm, that might work better than just dragging. I wonder if I could get used to that. ↲
- @Slumpwuffle Yeah, I do that too, but I only actually get annoyed when I'm trying to copy something. ↲
- @rodiard Maybe if I use my middle finger it'll work better... ↲
- @YouOldSoAndSo ... can't-fail startup idea of the day. ↲
- I kind of want to go over and ask the neighbors if they know their house is running a fire drill, but how could they not?
- On GTA V: "This is watching your sharp, witty father start telling old fart jokes as his mind slows down." gamasutra.com/view/...
- "GTA V is that character. Who used to be a rebel, who pulled the same damn tricks until they stopped working, and then kept doing it
- @MSPRlNKLE Thank you! ↲
- Just spent half an hour mapping out the coastline of Los Santos on a jetski. Rockstar do still know how to craft a place.
- Oddly, in spite of the sheer scope of the game, I was disappointed in the most mundane possible way: where'd San Fierro and Las Venturas go?
- I'm naming this style of Olmec kill after myself. (Daily Challenge starts at ~5:20) twitch.tv/mogwaipoe...
- @MarcLaidlaw Do you have platformer fluency? After 20 years of Mario platformers, Spelunky felt like I'd been training for it all my life. ↲
- @MarcLaidlaw I bet after you beat Spelunky, you'd find yourself pretty good at Super Mario Bros. If you cared to try it. ↲
- @MarcLaidlaw Yeah! I love especially watching the runs where good players discover things that are new to them. ↲
- @MarcLaidlaw E.g. @ThemsAllTook entering the spaceship (around 25m in) and messing around with the plasma cannon. youtube.com/watch?v... ↲
- "I'm writing a lot of SQL now. I'm technically on the marketing team. For the first time in my life I'm on a team that's 70% women."
- Hrm. I don't *think* my loathing of all marketing is secretly rooted in sexism, but now I have to go do the math.
- New GTA V hobby: hanging around the pond in Mirror Park and body-checking hapless joggers into the water.
- If you punch joggers, the cops come. But if you *sprint* into them, they ragdoll and apologize for being such a klutz as they stand back up.
- @mcclure111 I bet it would work in real life too. Want to make a field trip to Golden Gate Park? ↲
- @chrisdonia Reading that pair of tweets out-of-order is the official Frog Fractions 2 experience. Thanks for playtesting! ↲
- I subtracted correctly and streamed two Spelunky daily challenges in a row today. twitch.tv/mogwaipoe...
- @Naklsonofnakkl Arrested for resisting arrest
- Join me for Tuesday co-working at The MADE!
- "Look, the diet itself is sound; it's the philosophy that's bullshit. Just leave the damn cavemen out of it." hells-ditch.com/201...
- @Flanlord Diabetes diagnosis, the easy way! ↲
- The story behind Horse_ebooks: theatlantic.com/tec...
- @dunkr Yeah, for a couple more hours at least. ↲
- Looking back at Myst, 20 years later: grantland.com/story...
- @hryx I'm going to the other game jam this weekend, unfortunately! Hopefully next time. ↲
- @Twotoetimmy twitter.com/KenJenn... ↲
- "The synthesis of real and digital space through projection-mapping. Live performance, captured entirely in camera." vimeo.com/75260457...
- @watsonwelch Everytime this article paints getting lost in a 3D world as a bad thing, I cock my head like dog. ↲
- @watsonwelch I always fought the "Nintendo is for babies" mindset, but they're fighting really hard to own it right now. ↲
- @watsonwelch Esp. with their growing insistence on explaining every little game mechanic repeatedly through tedious text dialog. ↲
- @watsonwelch Don't know if I agree. Zelda is the worst offender for text explanations. The last Metroid game of any quality was in 2002. ↲
- @watsonwelch They're in a pickle right now with the Wii U, too. They've gotta make a big change in one direction or the other, probably. ↲
- "Humans are good at a lot of things, but putting time in perspective is not one of them." waitbutwhy.com/2013...
- Thinking about Goomba musculature. Wait, do you think they have bones?
- @Triplefox The teeth might be found objects like gravel in a bird's stomach, or maybe chitinous growths like squid beaks. ↲
- @Satchamobob Judging by their respective stomping sounds I bet regular goombas have cartilage and Super Mario World goombas have a skeleton. ↲
- @karamisaurus I really like the idea that the just assimilated some teeth that they found somewhere. ↲
- @KayinNasaki @Satchamobob youtube.com/watch?v... ↲
- "Way back when, there was a popular show called Jesus of Nazareth. It was canceled after just 3 seasons." nielsenhayden.com/m...
- Do they let you nap in hotel lobbies? I'm in a hotel lobby for the next hour or so and I need a nap.
- @lmichet I don't think so. I've just been working out of this nearby hotel today because it worked out logistically ↲
- @HunkyFlunkie Thanks! I'm glad to hear it. ↲
- @nickd3000 I didn't even get a chance to try, I realized I had more work I needed to do! ↲
- Pleased with the game @lmichet, @Triplefox, @dunkr, @mrasmus, @hryx and I created for #sfigjam. Gonna poke at it a bit more before release.