|january 2010 microblog digest|
Posted 2010-02-02 21:28:18 by
Archived from http://twitter.com/mogwai_poet:
- What the Base Rate Fallacy means for your implausibly-reliable terrorist detector: http://bit.ly/2y3K4O
- Terrorism vs. Child Pornography: what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object? http://bit.ly/6sgoiZ
- Re-watching Terminator 2, the soundtrack proves that the only equipment you need to create an effective film score is a Rompler from 1989.
- $152 of stuff in Sparkfun cart. Fully expecting the site to be completely unreachable until all the giveaway slots are gone.
- Through rain, snow, sleet and hail, trains are awesome: http://bit.ly/72zz
- The future's so close I can almost taste it: http://bit.ly/7ol6kB
- American Engrish at Ralph's Grocery: "Crab Apples / Eat out of hand / And add sugar to make a delicious desert!" Not quite haiku, sadly.
- From a Flash stack trace YouTube just threw at me: "at com.google.youtube.model::VideoData/callSetAwesome()"
- "Don't Shit Your Pants: A Survival Horror Game" http://bit.ly/ZGJwX
- The CB's employees seem to be genuinely into cupcakes. I don't think I could say that about anyone else employed in a mall food court.
- Pulled all 6 consoles on the console shelf down on top of myself while playing Uncharted 2 at Matt and Indy's. I blame bad couch ergonomics.
- "You know where else that argument doesn't play? The Nuremberg trials."
- Probably shouldn't be linking to this without listening first, but Shawn Elliott's hosting the Irrational Games podcast: http://j.mp/4WbdI7
- Trying to set up my new monitor. Is there some obvious reason the HDMI signal would be way, way worse quality than VGA?
- (Less obvious than not running at native resolution. The display settings *say* 1080p at least, though it does look scaled up under HDMI.)
- Okay, an hour plus of sysadmin bullshit is enough. I can survive without a second monitor.
- http://bit.ly/7jUWCK -- Obvious halo around the white dude. Is Microsoft trying to Adobe(r) Photoshop some racial diversity into this team?
- http://j.mp/7SfVLy - I'm listening to "PSYC 102 Intro/Sensation & Perception" and "POLI 142K Politics and Warfare." Both are pretty awesome.
- Spent the last 5 hours in an almost-sleep hallucination of tedious abstract shapes. After years of practice, I still suck at sleeping.
- Dueling interviews with Jordan Mechner (Prince of Persia, 1989) and Eric Chahi (Another World, 1991) on inspiration: http://j.mp/6vsxDA
- http://bit.ly/V0TX -- Possibly the most WTF WTF I've encountered. Even after correcting for being Japanese.
- Good commentary on the recent Google/China thing here: http://bit.ly/6hxYgy
- Hm. Maybe the fall hurt my ankle more than I thought. I kept climbing because it didn't hurt much, but now I can barely put any weight on it
- The concept of cow tipping is hilarious enough that the act's absence from Youtube is pretty compelling evidence that it's an urban legend.
- Film police misbehavior in Boston, get prosecuted for illegal wiretapping: http://bit.ly/8v5jDO
- Pop art is the most important kind of art. Don't feel bad for making things people like; don't get sloppy because "it's just a game/movie."
- It's about time we got a snowclone for "Pimp Up My Ride" where the variable is the preposition rather than the noun.
- "Pimp Into My Ride," "Pimp Across My Ride," "Pimp Underneath My Ride," "Pimp About My Ride," "Pimp Without My Ride," "Pimp Between My Ride."
- Ankle update: ankle feeling mostly okay. I think I'm good for climbing on Monday.
- http://bit.ly/6Q2PUC -- "[Today], PopCap will donate everything you spend on PopCap.com to help the earthquake recovery efforts in Haiti."
- All these awesome Processing music videos make me want to use Processing for some Smush music videos. But I just uninstalled Java last year!
- Just finished Terry Cavanagh's VVVVVV. It's good, but not $15 good. How could it have been worth the asking price? Let me count the ways:
- 1. More interesting play mechanics. 2. Better level design. 3. More level design. 4. Prettier art. 5. More consistently awesome soundtrack.
- And if Terry had been slightly less convinced that making a task harder is equivalent to making it more fun, that would've been awesome too.
- Note that VVVVVV doesn't suck at any of these metrics. It just doesn't excel at them either.
- Just returned a DVD I've had out from Netflix since July. It's all streaming all the time for me.
- VVVVVV calls cheat codes "accessibility mode" and puts them in the menu. Very forward thinking; poor reflexes effectively *are* a disability
- http://j.mp/5JdxDt http://j.mp/6NwERL I wonder whether the helmet-like design was an early-80s necessity or an early-80s aesthetic decision.
- http://bit.ly/7NamnW -- "Ribbon Hero ... the core loop of gameplay involves using and gaining skills in Word, Excel and PowerPoint."
- Speaking of serious games, here's a vocal FC of "I Get By" played on a trombone: http://bit.ly/83BQi -- Skip to 1:50 for the good part.
- The bar for "sex offender" gets lowered even further: http://bit.ly/4JJrwI
- Forgetting to apply Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs can make you like a big asshole: http://bit.ly/4veckv
- http://bit.ly/4uU4Fo -- How to sell a Wii game to a casual market that doesn't buy sequels: "All you have to do is nail it the first time."
- People are cognitive and ideational patterns. Each physical brain is the most robust representation of such patterns.
- However, lesser representations existing elsewhere, e.g. in writing, or as sub-patterns nested in the brains of others, are just as real.
- @fiskmeshi There is no combat without movement.
- Elena pointed out to me one way in which American Sign Language is awesome: http://bit.ly/62GknE
- Tournament organizers, lern 2 math: In single-elimination, the only place you determine is first place. Remaining places are approximations.
- Just when I think a certain joke is stale and played out, I rediscover that good artists can do good work in any genre: http://j.mp/14JeW
- If by "sound" you mean "vibration of air molecules," then yes. If you mean "perception of an event via vibration of air molecules," then no.
- http://bit.ly/74B0v0 -- Annotated playthrough video of "Gimmick!," an impressive NES platformer by Sunsoft that never made it out of Japan.
- Man, what's the name of the Japanese wooden bird thing that makes bonking noises? There's no "japanese lawn ornament" category on Wikipedia.
- Here it is! http://bit.ly/7S48EZ Hey, this has nothing to do with birds. Maybe I was conflating it with Dippy Birds.
- 8 of 10 trending topics are Apple-related. From that perspective, the people I'm following have been a picture of restraint. Good job, guys!
- Finally got the pictures from Italy sorted through. Here are the good ones: http://bit.ly/9hegoe
- On how Madden NFL is shaping real football: http://bit.ly/8nIVhl
- "Alien" and "Aliens" feel like home to me. The set design, the sound design, the music. I can put either film on and instantly feel relaxed.
- Got a gelato from Eunice returning from the climbing gym. Then it started to rain. I'm eating wet gelato. Don't know how I feel about this.
- http://bit.ly/aDyFN2 -- The Australian censor board has redefined "child pornography" to include any depiction of small breasts.
- I didn't expect Jory Caron to live up to the title "microwave specialist," but I was impressed: http://bit.ly/7ho5cP
- Wake up to the delicious stench of Wasabi: http://bit.ly/arAnci
- Haken Continuum, 3-axis continuous MIDI controller: http://bit.ly/BlWmJ Check out the performances at 3:55, 6:35 and 8:20 if nothing else.
- Open letter to my co-pedestrians: me waiting for my turn doesn't make me a sucker; you *not* waiting your turn makes you an asshole.
- Also: giving me a hard time for waiting my turn because you then had to wait for me to catch up makes you an even bigger asshole. Ding gratz