|march 2011 microblog digest|
Posted 2011-04-05 17:55:37 by
Archived from http://twitter.com/mogwai_poet:
- Fluid dynamics in Flash: http://bit.ly/esDnmD
- In any other city I'd be convinced that half the passers by were GDC attendees just by their dress. But this is San Francisco.
- "I am a musician on tour. Your donations help me move on to the next town." Clever way to get both the "support" and the "go away" money!
- Magicka: Vietnam. Apparently a real thing? http://bit.ly/gDK1tD
- "Never fails. Every GDC, the guy who fired me comes up to say hi." I'm spared that indignation since Replay's focusing on enterprise now.
- "Charlie Sheen Quotes As New Yorker Cartoons" http://j.mp/grVeur
- Time-lapse video of an enormous, 90-minute solar eruption. http://bit.ly/esc3Kq
- Yep, this is exactly what playing Magicka is like: http://bit.ly/hw1BZM
- Mario Galaxy team working on Mario title for the 3DS. Hope they get around to a 64DS port, too; the design changes deserved an analog stick.
- Does Beyond Good and Evil have random content? I've played the intro like four times, and each time I'm like "I don't remember this at all."
- RT @Fara1 Gaming, rape culture, and how I stopped reading Penny Arcade (by my Phoenix colleague Maddy Myers)...http://ow.ly/46L0p
- Finally at the good part in BG&E: selling photos of a newly-discovered species to the humane society, then exterminating a roomful of them.
- "The Korg Monotron mini analog synthesizer was made to be hacked" http://bit.ly/dR3U9x
- http://j.mp/fKZ0eZ "I'm a person who is training to be an abortion provider. As you can imagine, it's really fucking weird to be one of me."
- http://bit.ly/dXovli "Sunspot 1164 has grown so large, it can now be seen without the aid of a solar telescope."
- Podcast excerpt: portrait of Gordon Freeman as a sociopath: http://bit.ly/gv1Np8 (From Idle Thumbs something something: http://j.mp/2BjAjn)
- Naomi gave me a stick-shifting lesson today. Three hours of trying to start moving while facing uphill. (I did eventually touch the stick.)
- It'd almost certainly have been easier to get some momentum by starting in reverse, doing a u-turn, then driving to the next stop backwards.
- "On Tuesday I'll finally end my battle with cancer thanks to Oregon's Death with dignity act. Ask me anything." http://bit.ly/ePU1oU
- http://j.mp/bS2HD9 "Ken Brennan became obsessed: how had the 21-year-old blonde disappeared from her room, unseen by security cameras?"
- http://j.mp/fmu9WY Would you say this imagined customer reaction is a lie told by MIRRUS to potential venues, or by MIRRUS to themselves?
- Related: public benches that imprint advertising onto bare thighs. http://bit.ly/gWUL7e
- For your consideration: http://bit.ly/g4QJ0a (Your guess is as good as mine.)
- Robert Florence over at RPS makes the new Lovecraft-themed board game, "Mansions of Madness," sound pretty good: http://bit.ly/ijJx9c
- Why isn't the intelligence of the elephant more widely recognized? http://bit.ly/fQoPno
- ("Mainly due to the danger and difficulty of submitting the largest land animal to behavioural experiments.")
- "Dong Dong Never Die," a sublimely goofy 2D fighter made by a Chinese indie team: http://bit.ly/gErbbZ
- Hah, and it uses this cover of Mechanism 8 as background music: http://bit.ly/gzdss7
- "Gabe Newell revealed in an odds-defying statement today that 93% of Steam users were born on January 1st." http://bit.ly/h5z4U9
- "Viewed through the lens of market forces, the surprise is that any company is still making antibiotics." http://bit.ly/giw62y
- I wonder if you couldn't get better treatment going to a meth lab with black market antivenom in stock. http://bit.ly/bB9lgM
- I'm really pleased that the drum circle is still going even when the rest of the Ashby flea market is completely rained out.
- "Japan earthquake: Footage of moment tsunami hit" http://bit.ly/ftU3iJ
- Exhaustive video review of the Squier Strat RB3 controller as a controller and as a guitar: http://bit.ly/fT3izi
- "Some Perspective On The Japan Earthquake" http://j.mp/hlsjuT
- "This was largely the story up and down Honshu. Planes stayed in the sky. Buildings stayed standing. Civil order continued uninterrupted."
- More camcorder footage of tsunami flooding: http://bit.ly/hZZ2YE [direct MP4 link]
- Interactive infographic: scientific evidence for popular health supplements: http://bit.ly/dmmhdR
- There is totally a mouse loose in my room. Danu and Aoibheall are sleeping on the living room couch, as usual.
- Am I going crazy or is this URL a backdoor into old blog-style Kotaku? http://m.kotaku.com/?p=2
- "Half the combat logic [in Ultima Underworld] was devoted to the monster trying to look good onscreen." http://bit.ly/eqY1u2
- "How To Be Happy," part of "The Science of Winning at Life": http://bit.ly/f6tpfx
- Yearly reminder: tomorrow is asshole day. Expect people to be assholes all day. More than usual, I mean. 9:01 PM Mar 31st via web All the GDC25 classic postmortems (Doom, Populous, Another World, Pac-Man, Maniac Mansion...) up on GDC Vault, free: http://bit.ly/dMNncC
- Overheard at Nova Steampunk con: "Lord Featherstone! Telegraph for Lord Featherstone! Anyone? Seriously, just put me out of my misery."
- Man, a steampunk con is the last place I expected to be complimented on a graphic tee. Did you notice the mechanical limbs on everyone else!
- Dalek constructed from a hula skirt and coconut halves.
- Unwoman was definitely the highlight act of the Airship Home Companion show. Highlight of every act, really; she guested in most of them.
- First-person horror title "Nanashi no Game" not coming to North America because you don't shoot anyone: http://bit.ly/dV8BlS
- @relsqui The alphabet was the only part of ASL I ever bothered learning. That might explain why they didn't teach it to you, I guess.
- Jason Scott hired on at The Internet Archive: http://bit.ly/gEh7ZR
- "60 Completely Unusable Stock Photos" http://j.mp/huFkQD
- The Silicon Knights case against Epic is going before a jury. I just assumed they'd settled out-of-court four years ago. http://j.mp/fluLzK
- Gamestop to buy Stardock's Impulse: http://j.mp/gPOs1U Remember how Game Informer became basically the only successful game magazine? Hmm.
- Yearly reminder: tomorrow is asshole day. Expect people to be assholes all day. More than usual, I mean.
- The prepared speech William Safire wrote for Nixon in the event that the Apollo 11 astronauts were stranded: http://bit.ly/hdJE8t