|june 2012 microblog digest|
Posted 2012-07-13 19:03:38 by
Archived from http://twitter.com/mogwai_poet:
- Can't-fail startup idea of the day: Is your company about to tank? I'll be the CEO who takes the blame. (Or is that how it already works?)
- @fiskmeshi Apart from the general distaste of adding a corporation-mediated caste system to socializing, there's this: antipope.org/char...
- @fiskmeshi Philosophically, being the product is bad because the company apparently serving you is prioritizing someone else's interests.
- @fiskmeshi Being the source of a corporation's income is basically the only way to make them care about your interests.
- @fiskmeshi Being merely aware of the situation goes a long way. The "being the product" talking point exists because people *aren't* aware.
- @fiskmeshi Klout is an interesting case because the people who get the most value (i.e. ego boost) out of it are also the most influential.
- @fullbright I get the sense that people ascribed much less value to "autonomy" or, like, "sentience," not so long ago. Maybe just for women.
- @fullbright (Or maybe they just cared about "outbursts" and "mood swings" more than we do thesedays.)
- @montijosh Tower defense isn't a particularly ambitious genre. I think it's very doable.
- The finest of the Obama administration's achievements must be the airstrike that can literally never kill a civilian. loweringthebar.ne...
- There's one medium left in which the OTBS indent style is still sensible: i.imgur.com/Mev10...
- Can't-fail startup idea of the day: bearded batman.
- Can't-fail startup idea of the day: counter-program Mario Marathon with Apogee EGA game marathon.
- @benprunty Sorry, that's a VGA game! Will you accept Monster Bash?
- @Triplefox I thought this one sounded good. musicdsp.org/arch...
- @benprunty Nope, that was Potomac Computer Systems! (Later known as "Epic Megagames.")
- @benprunty But, but it can't fail! It's right in the name!
- Now that Silicon Knights vs. Epic is over, can we please have Dennis Dyack back as a public figure? I miss him.
- If every studio head had an emotionally-unstable public persona, and trash talked like a pro wrestler, the world would be a better place.
- "The 20-Year Estrangement of the Two Guys from Andromeda" gamasutra.com/vie...
- Over at @BrianNumberOne 's place, finishing up Winter Vacation Story for release today. The spirit of George Broussard is watching over us.
- Why are game solution spoilers taboo, but it's just fine to blurt out where the restroom is when someone gets up to look for it?
- @evilbadman Speak for yourself! Without the threat of pants-shitting, the thrill of the hunt is gone entirely.
- RT @_peterdn Imagining an esoteric programming language with gendered variables and operators. Applying operator of wrong gender would be a syntax error
- RT @_peterdn The IDE for my language would helpfully highlight variables and functions in either blue or pink to indicate their gender
- @evilbadman images.sodahead.c...
- RT @robertashley Man, I can't stop thinking about becoming a plasticised human body pinball machine. Pinballs shooting through my exposed digestive tract.
- RT @KazHiraiCEO Fun Fact: "Non-Specific Action Figure" was also the original name of Master Chief
- Looking back on it, I'm suddenly regretting that I was too high on C fumes to give Pascal serious consideration. It looks pretty elegant.
- @Triplefox I never really thought about it, but ECMAScript's type declaration is right out of Pascal. Does Haxe go further?
- So I guess E3 is happening? Did I hear this right, that Microsoft released the Wii U early for iOS devices?
- @xobs I've seen Steam Cloud screw up and overwrite a newer save with an older one from the cloud. Not that that helps you.
- @xobs Is that the Linux port? Because if so, I mean, I guess Linux users would be the ones who'd know how to deal with a problem like that?
- @xobs That's not quite a "port," is it? That's disappointing; all previous Humble Bundle games were true ports to Mac/Linux to my knowledge.
- @Indy_Ray @BrianNumberOne youtube.com/watch...
- @mrfb Man, I loved everything about Event Horizon except for the movie itself. A good SF writer could've worked wonders with that concept.
- @mrfb Lovecraft didn't work with "evil." It's a lazy shortcut. More like: "things that happen to be alien to and incompatible with humans."
- I can't see his pulse yet. ENHANCE! people.csail.mit....
- Have you ever looked at a list of ratios and wondered which was the justest? Now you can use this chart to find out! en.wikipedia.org/...
- RT @gamespite Since Wii purchases will carry over to Wii U, that tablet is now 100% the most awesome way to play old Nintendo games.
- @mrasmus @evilbadman Chrome says that page is in Italian. Translation: "Donec id elit does not make me pregnant at eget metus."
- @evilbadman @mrasmus Blamin' it as we speak!
- @auntiepixelante I didn't see one when I was last there. Ace Monster Toys has them.
- @Jonathan_Blow Just guessing here, but it might be that Psychonauts and Limbo don't have true Linux ports, only WINE wrappers.
- Peter Molyneux's new game offers $77,000 DLC chisel, so you can be first to open the mysterious black monolith. gamasutra.com/vie...
- RT @ibogost Take it from me: people want to click on cows, not on black cubes.
- I'm certain that this was a Philip K. Dick plot. smbc-comics.com/i...
- @jonbeilin I know, right? It's almost as good as being a straight white male.
- RT @Horse_ebooks Then Max got a great idea!idea!idea!idea! He rubbed dog food
- New security question policy: "Children warned name of first pet should contain 8 characters and a digit" newsbiscuit.com/2...
- @mrasmus Today's guild leader needs a proper radio voice to sound authoritative. Bandpass, compress and distort!
- @phubans What your senses perceive is not reality. This is just an engineering problem. youtube.com/watch...
- "'But what if the Dreamspangle could smell you too?' Molyneux suddenly declared. 'Tear-based controls?'" rockpapershotgun....
- Lots of coverage like this. Has E3 really changed much in the past decade, or is the enthusiast press just growing up? gamasutra.com/vie...
- (Or am I paying attention to different people?)
- The Idle Thumbs livestream Super Black Bass. Enthralling. twitch.tv/idlethu...
- @amitorit @ibogost @samplereality Recognizing a Spin Doctors reference: wish you could unfollow your own brain.
- Sea creatures. behance.net/galle...
- Space Quest creators reunite after decades; have new game on Kickstarter; 3 days left and $80k away from funding. kickstarter.com/p...
- RT @still The booth babes at #E3 train you to filter out all women-- including professionals. It pushes networking towards "men only." It's awful.
- "Sass makes CSS fun again." ... CSS was fun?
- No results found for "makes MFC fun again".
- With all the inexplicable idiocy in Prometheus, the writers felt compelled to spend a scene explaining why the robot wears a helmet?
- Thank god you closed *that* plot hole. Disaster averted!
- Huh, it was written by one of the creators of Lost. That... actually explains a lot.
- Fabien Sanglard's analysis of the Doom 3 source code. fabiensanglard.ne...
- Someone clearly worked very hard on getting all that Christ imagery into Prometheus. cavalorn.livejour...
- One part of Prometheus I genuinely liked: as a self-contained story, the auto-surgeon scene was well-constructed and delightfully weird.
- @Triplefox @Disasterpeace youtube.com/watch...
- There was a time when Jeroen Tel was deeply enamored with orchestra hits. youtube.com/watch...
- This reads like the corporate analog of the neighbor justifying loud music by saying "it's a free country!" usatoday.com/mone...
- Yes, it *is* a free country, but... You're within your rights... Yes, I just... No, of course not... No, you're just an asshole is all.
- Just a reminder, there's an "indie dev show and tell" at the MADE Thursday evening, and also a game jam on Saturday. themade.org/...
- @Indy_Ray Human assholes are a social problem with a social solution. But corporate assholes? *This* ham-fisted law is a bad solution, but
- @Indy_Ray As much as it makes 1999-era-Libertarian-Jim cringe, I do think we need to do something, systematically, about corporate assholes.
- @Indy_Ray A systemic solution would ideally cover both.
- @Indy_Ray I agree! I was saying that instead of that ham-fisted, bad solution, we need some sort of systemic solution.
- @infinite_ammo It's hard to see IGTM as painting the ex-partner in a bad light; Phil Fish comes off as completely irrational on the subject.
- @infinite_ammo More than anything it made me want to investigate the other side, but several hours of Googling turned up very little.
- @infinite_ammo Right, yeah! I thought they did a great job portraying that.
- Teaching security by forcing students to cheat: schneier.com/blog...
- @ellaguro Don't think about it too hard or you'll lose it!
- @BrianNumberOne Both, most likely!
- @BrianNumberOne No, no need.
- @Indy_Ray themade.org/... -- close to 12th st. Oakland BART. The indie dev show and tell starts a 6:30
- "We need music for this Yogi Bear game stat!" "Is eurodisco okay?" "Whatever, just have it on my desk by tomorrow." youtube.com/watch...
- RT @ominousoat #MisandryInVideoGames Waluigi creates an unrealistic standard of beauty for men
- Just like D&D players, Orson Scott Card thinks morality is a law of physics. www4.ncsu.edu/~te...
- "What worries me is when you have bad people trying to do good. They?re not good at it, they don?t have any instinct for it."
- RT @grumpygamer In addition to calling out games that are sexist and offensive, we need to do a better job of celebrating the ones that aren't.
- Heading to the MADE game jam. The weather makes me wish they had a swimming pool. I'll talk to Alex about it.
- @auntiepixelante Is today's Klik of the Month still happening at the MADE?
- @auntiepixelante Ah, too bad; I'm already there. (For the event that was booked for today.)
- RT @ID_AA_Carmack I am content to infer the existence of lots of high quality people from the evidence on the internet but my wife likes to actually meet them
- "Come On, Lighten Up, I'm Just Being A Total Asshole" theonion.com/arti...
- We've already pinpointed the Citizen Kane of video games, right? I'm waiting for us to discover the Emily Dickinson of games journalism.
- A reclusive spinster who died unknown and unpublished, having written thousands of brilliant game previews and top 10 lists in her lifetime.
- RT @vogon @mogwai_poet because I could not stop for Breath of Fire, it kindly stopped for me / the cartridge held but just ourselves and Immortality
- RT @vogon @mogwai_poet fun factor: 8/10
- There's an in-browser DROD now! It's one of my favorite puzzle games -- and one of my favorite genres of puzzle games. caravelgames.com/...
- Jandek, "You Painted Your Teeth" youtube.com/watch...
- Sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't be happier if I installed all the browser toolbars and tweeted all the in-game accomplishments.
- Watch out, entire game industry: "The judge found the developer liable for infringing the Tetris copyright." sunsteinlaw.com/p...
- This is just how cars worked in 1990. You don't remember? youtube.com/watch...
- Accents in action: on the East coast, where Bethesda is,"Dawnguard" doesn't sound funny at all.
- 100, 200, 400, 800, 1000, 2000, 4000, 8000, 1UP, 1UP, 1UP, 1UP, 1UP... i.imgur.com/2PLXS...
- "A nation's rate of belief in hell predicts lower crime rates, but belief in heaven predicts higher crime rates." medicaldaily.com/...
- RT @wilto ?Mobile users want to see our menu, hours, and delivery number. Desktop users definitely want this 1mb png of someone smiling at a salad.?
- Spent much of today at the beach. I need more excuses to take naps outdoors.
- @daphaknee I know, right?!
- If you're wondering why you only have 60% of the pixels you were expecting, it's because the iPad simulator doesn't fit on your monitor.
- Mario Marathon started happening 4 hours ago! I'm still excited. mariomarathon.com...
- That guy who's "perfectly fine as long as someone remembers to assign him a rape babysitter." pervocracy.blogsp...
- Epiphany: casual players *like* that the outcomes of all these iOS Canabalt clones are more about luck than skill.
- My favorite so far is Jetpack Joyride, but the core game loop quite frankly sucks; everything good about it is theming and structure.
- Top Nosh Is the best name for a restaurant.
- Where the Hell is Matt 2012: youtube.com/watch... -- I'm in the rear right of the Oakland shot. You know, the one with 400 people in it.
- Started a sympathetic Mario Sunshine run when the Mario Marathon guys were around shine 25. Beat the final boss when they were at shine 49.
- Didn't have a memory card, so the data all went poof when it kicked me back to the title after the credits rolled.
- @montijosh Only beaten? Five or six times, maybe. 100%, probably twice. Nothing compared to how much I've played Mario 64.
- OH: "I can refactor when I'm dead."
- @Triplefox That video has gotten like six startled glances from the kittens so far.
- @montijosh Close, but that just makes the few flaws stand out more. The camera system would drive me nuts if I tried learning it today.
- HAAH WAAW i.imgur.com/lsEc8...
- Playing Spider: Secret of Bryce Manor is literally making me itch.
- Alan Turing's death may have been accidental. bbc.co.uk/news/sc...
- The Mario Marathon folks are closing in on $300k, across all five marathons, to Child's Play charity. mariomarathon.com...
- Whenever the camera cuts to Yao Ming's face, my first instinct is to adjust the TV's apect ratio.
- I've been saying "correct" instead of "right" for years, but that only solves half the problem. Do people understand "port" and "starboard"?
- @geardrops Sold!
- Mario Marathon have been on the verge of starting Lost Levels for 8 continues now. I'll need sleep eventually, guys! mariomarathon.com...
- There's context for this image, but you know what? Let's pretend there isn't. i.cdn.turner.com/...
- "Sonic.net: We Delete User Logs After Two Weeks. Your Internet Provider Should, Too." forbes.com/sites/...
- 2x multiplier! Mario Marathon is working on 100%ing Galaxy 2 and Sunshine at the same time. mariomarathon.com...
- @karamisaurus Yeah, Mario Marathon is much less about schadenfreude for me. Though there definitely is that fan contigent.
- So it turns out the reason the Mario Marathon guys sucked more than usual at the 2D games this year was a misconfigured HDTV. Friggin' HDTV!
- Closing ceremonies as #mariomarathon winds down. Totals: 111 hours played, $111,211 raised. ... Now where's the torrent of the stream?
- @CoW_mAn Is streaming from the Twitch.tv archives more reliable than Ustream? Past Mario Marathons are *sort of* online, but not really.
- @CoW_mAn When I click play on one of those old videos it feels like I'm waking up a dude to go dig through a closet for the backup tape.
- Can't-fail startup idea of the day: mere locks are no longer deterrent enough; try enclosing your bike in plastic clamshell packaging.
- So that iOS project is pretty much a game now? It's more fun than staring at a wall but not as much fun as making scrambled eggs.
- Um. That "Use Automatic Reference Counting" checkbox means I don't have to worry about memory leaks, right? I'm asking for a friend.
- @LorenSchmidt I'm pretty sure those circles were drawn with Deluxe Paint's linear gradient tool.
- CNN columnist LZ Granderson chides us not to be "nosy" about torture prisons and state-sponsored terrorism. edition.cnn.com/2...
- New medical procedure oxygenates the bloodstream without breathing. sciencedaily.com/...
- @jonbeilin I don't swap assets, but I am allocating and discarding heap objects on a frame by frame basis.
- @jonbeilin Aside from circular references, what do I need to watch out for? Is there a good game developer's reference out there?
- @LouisGorenfeld Or when you take a shit.
- RT @fart a good gag if you're talking to a blind person online with a text to speech program is to say "TURN TAPE OVER"
- If you want to see a guy get the first two stars of Super Mario 64 and reset over and over again, do I have the twitch.tv channel for you.
- Best goddamn street busker outside downtown Berkeley BART right now.